What is G-Mail?? and ....

B

Bushido54

....what is so great about it? If you already have one (or more) email accounts, why would you need or want G-mail?

flexiblefine

Registered
Why I use Gmail

I used to use my own domain for my personal e-mail. As it turned out, I wasn't using the domain for anything else, so I eventually decided to let the domain expire. Still, my personal e-mail needed to go somewhere... so I moved to Gmail.

In terms of general utility, Gmail is not that much different that having any other sort of web-based e-mail account -- I can check my mail from home or from work or from anywhere else I can get to the Internet.

Gmail gives me a gigabyte of storage for my e-mail messages, so I'm not encouraged to delete e-mails. I've been using Gmail since April 2004 and my space is only 15% full.

Messages in Gmail are also searchable, so I don't have to remember which labels I put on something in order to find old messages. I can search my e-mail easily and find things that might have taken a long time to track down by sorting and scrolling.

Labels, as opposed to folders, are a nice thing too. A message or conversation can have multiple labels associated with it, where most mail systems will only let a message live in one folder.

I see I've gone on longer than I intended, so I'll stop now. It's a neat-enough product, and a really cool web application, but if you have a mail system that works for you, feel free to stick with it.