what one feature would you add to GTDconnect if you could?

12hourhalfday

Registered
GTDConnect is an awesome site with lot's of awesome value to it. If you had full control and could do anything you wanted what one feature or benefit would you add to the GTDConnect membership package?

Barb

Registered
To enhance sense of community

First, and I'm as guilty of this as most others, we should enhance our member profiles.

Instead of clicking on a member name and getting the drop-down menu from the forum, it would be neat if every forum post had a "Get to know me" button on every member post that would take a reader immediately to their profile.

This (or something like this) would make it more like a group of real people. It often helps me to know more about someone when I read their posts. It's my way of putting what they say into the context of the writer as a PERSON.

I'm such an HR geek :p

12hourhalfday

Registered
Barb;69932 said:
First, and I'm as guilty of this as most others, we should enhance our member profiles.

Instead of clicking on a member name and getting the drop-down menu from the forum, it would be neat if every forum post had a "Get to know me" button on every member post that would take a reader immediately to their profile.

This (or something like this) would make it more like a group of real people. It often helps me to know more about someone when I read their posts. It's my way of putting what they say into the context of the writer as a PERSON.

I'm such an HR geek :p

When you say HR geek, you mean that you look at it and you think of ways it can be more person and relationship oriented?

Barb

Registered
yes

12hourhalfday;69935 said:
When you say HR geek, you mean that you look at it and you think of ways it can be more person and relationship oriented?

yes, I just tend to look at things in terms of designing a "personal" element into it. I'm always interested to see how very successful companies make their brand experience "high touch".

This may not matter to a single other person on the forum. But I think it will serve Davidco in the future to keep that in mind when they make enhancements. They probably already know this. :-D

Barb

Registered
some will remain stealth

kelstarrising;69933 said:
For those that want to share more details about yourself, your Forum profile (visible to all GTD Connect and Public Forum members), can be updated by going to Edit Profile: http://www.davidco.com/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile

Many, many members are very stealth on the Forums, choosing to just use a screen name. That's just fine too!

I agree that many members will want to lurk but I don't think the forum designed an easy way connect on a more personal level either. Are members stealth because they want to be or because they knew few people would ever look at their profile and just didn't bother?

Julian

Registered
I would add ... dates!

Dates, to all posted Davidco content. Drives me nuts that I can't quickly determine the date of a document, In Conversation, webinar, etc. Currently we have to depend on the "new" tag - which may or may not be helpful. Also, I can't look for something from "around 6 months ago".

I've requested this before and had the impression it would be added to new postings, but that still hasn't happened. Perhaps if other connect members would add their opinion :)

pwhite

Registered
Read Groundswell by Charlene Li and ...

Create more opportunities for users to Create content and the opportunities for other users to Critique and Collect that content: -

Set up an area for users to upload photos with an easy way to view thumbnails of those photos by uploader, tag, recently uploaded. Add facility for users to comment and tag those photos (as in Flickr and it's successors). this helps build a community.

Set up an area for users to create and edit wiki pages. This would be a great way to handle some of the recurring questions and country-specific topics. It could become a very powerful resource which the community creates.

Set up an area for each individual users to blog on their own history with GTD, progress with implementing GTD, difficulties encountered, pleas for help and advice, comments on others blogs.

Add RSS feeds to these community content so that other users could track changes to others photo collections, wikis and blogs.

Make users more conscious of profiles and makes profiles easier to view, for example by a Javascript code which shows the profile whenever your mouse point hovers over the users name in a forum messages etc.

(based on the ideas in 'Groundswell: Winning in a world transformed by social technologies' by Charlene Li and her Social Technographics Ladder: Creators, Critics, Collectors, Joiners, Spectators, Inactives).

Phil

12hourhalfday

Registered
pwhite;69959 said:
Create more opportunities for users to Create content and the opportunities for other users to Critique and Collect that content: -

Set up an area for users to upload photos with an easy way to view thumbnails of those photos by uploader, tag, recently uploaded. Add facility for users to comment and tag those photos (as in Flickr and it's successors). this helps build a community.

Set up an area for users to create and edit wiki pages. This would be a great way to handle some of the recurring questions and country-specific topics. It could become a very powerful resource which the community creates.

Set up an area for each individual users to blog on their own history with GTD, progress with implementing GTD, difficulties encountered, pleas for help and advice, comments on others blogs.

Add RSS feeds to these community content so that other users could track changes to others photo collections, wikis and blogs.

Make users more conscious of profiles and makes profiles easier to view, for example by a Javascript code which shows the profile whenever your mouse point hovers over the users name in a forum messages etc.

(based on the ideas in 'Groundswell: Winning in a world transformed by social technologies' by Charlene Li and her Social Technographics Ladder: Creators, Critics, Collectors, Joiners, Spectators, Inactives).

Phil

The recommendation is to create a social networking medium by adding the ability for members to add and edit content in more locations?

Oogiem

Registered
My votes are for
dates on stuff

easily added user content whether wikis or something else

RSS feed accurate in time. It's delayed by several hours, I can see new posts in the forums before they ever come up in the RSS

ability to get messages from and respond to the forums as e-mail not by visiting and selecting each thread to view.

sdann

Registered
A common place for people's gtd setups (photos and comments), like some suggested, would be fun. It's harder to find them in the forums.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Thanks for all of the great feedback!

I'll go through this feedback with the team to see what's in the IT queue already and what we can add. Thank you all. More suggestions welcome!

Julian--I did capture your date feedback from a while back, and we've done a few things around it already. I've started dating most of the new content and I've been chipping away at the past content too, but it's a monumental task given the hundreds of assets already published. I also asked the IT team to add dates to the "Latest Activity" feed on the home page which just went live this morning. That should make viewing that feed helpful.

Thank you all!

cyberscribe

Senior Associate, Next Action Associates
Date Stamps Added

Julian;69955 said:
Dates, to all posted Davidco content.

Hi Julian,

We've wanted to get to this for awhile; today's the day. You will now see a date in the upper-left corner of Latest Activity, and also beside the links for all lists of tagged content (click on a tag in the cloud to see what I mean). Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,
Robert

Barb

Registered
Robert is Magic

cyberscribe;69992 said:
Hi Julian,

We've wanted to get to this for awhile; today's the day. You will now see a date in the upper-left corner of Latest Activity, and also beside the links for all lists of tagged content (click on a tag in the cloud to see what I mean). Thanks for the suggestion!

Cheers,
Robert

How cool! Poof--it's done. By the way, for any of you ordering the GTD Complete series--how'd you like that fancy checkbox system on the order form? I love cool design.

pwhite

Registered
12hourhalfday;69978 said:
The recommendation is to create a social networking medium by adding the ability for members to add and edit content in more locations?

Brian,

That's a great way of summarising it. The emphasis being on the ability for members to create and share content.

Phil

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Just clarifying...

So you'd like to be able to create and share content in addition to the Forum? For example, a place to share your system photos, descriptions of your systems etc.?

I'd been noodling (a technical term for thinking intently and randomly) about ways to make the "case study" idea more prominent. Right now we can all post photos and write up descriptions in the Forums, but it does tend to get lost quickly in a sea of comments. I'd like to find a way so people can have an easy way to get back to the original write up/photos/case study to start to build a rich gallery of these.

12hourhalfday

Registered
kelstarrising;70010 said:
So you'd like to be able to create and share content in addition to the Forum? For example, a place to share your system photos, descriptions of your systems etc.?

I'd been noodling (a technical term for thinking intently and randomly) about ways to make the "case study" idea more prominent. Right now we can all post photos and write up descriptions in the Forums, but it does tend to get lost quickly in a sea of comments. I'd like to find a way so people can have an easy way to get back to the original write up/photos/case study to start to build a rich gallery of these.

What would the purpose be?

mwkoehler

Registered
Easy way to view all unread forum posts and replies while offline

12hourhalfday;69931 said:
GTDConnect is an awesome site with lot's of awesome value to it. If you had full control and could do anything you wanted what one feature or benefit would you add to the GTDConnect membership package?

I often read these posts off line (2 hours of commute a day lend themselves to reading). I do that with initial posts via RSS, but many posts are not complete via RSS, so I wind up having to flag some for followup later so I can read the whole post. Also, RSS does not provide a way to see replys (unless I missed an option somewhere.

A view in the forums for all unread posts and replies in a oldest to newest threaded form that is printable would also be a great addition. With that I could refresh the view before disconnecting and read it offline. Having it be printable would let me take it to the beach :).

Oogiem

Registered
kelstarrising;70010 said:

That would be very cool.

I don't know if you do any fiber arts at all, but Ravelry.com has one of the best ways for individual users to track their knitting and crochet (and some of us shoehorn in weaving) projects and share them and pictures. Really cool interface. You have to be a member but you might take a look for some ideas.

Tara

Registered
User generated content is the heart of social media

pwhite;70009 said:
Brian,

That's a great way of summarising it. The emphasis being on the ability for members to create and share content.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I am in complete agreement with you. Creating and sharing content is what social media is all about. That said, it assumes a willingness/ability to relinquish control to users (at least to some degree) and that may or may not be present.

Best wishes,
Tara