What pocket PIM/PDA/organizer would work for me?

rch427

Registered
I've enjoyed reading through the archives, and people's questions and advice about PDAs and PIMs, for integration with GTD. However, I haven't seen any information that really fits my needs, hence this question.

The main thing I need is something that I can carry with me (or even wear!) that I would be able to program to remind me to do things throughout the day, week, month and year. I don't need a bunch of bells and whistles, Bluetooth, wifi or other expensive complications.

That the device would need to be on and running constantly limits my options, since many PDAs seem to have a battery charge-length too short for this. Rechargeable is essential; no AAA batteries or other nonsense.

It would need to be able to dock with my desktop PC at home (WinXP Pro), but it would also be nice if it could dock with my G5 iMac at work (Leopard).

The display could be monochrome and text only, for all I care. Preferably it would have both a silent vibrate mode and audible alarm mode.

A built-in recorder would be great, so I could record spoken commands ("Take your vitamins!").

I'd like to keep the price at or below $100.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

GTDWorks

Registered
The offerings are thinning these days as stand alone PDA's are fast becoming a thing of the past. Check Palm's offerings. I believe they have a device that sells for around $100.

dragynox

Registered
What I would look at if I were you is an old used PDA. Make sure you can find a charger for it, and you might plan on replacing the battery on it right away. So you should also make sure that a replacement battery is available and not too expensive. I'd check Craigslist and eBay for old PDA to suit your needs.

Jake

mcogilvie

Registered
rch427;63826 said:
That the device would need to be on and running constantly limits my options, since many PDAs seem to have a battery charge-length too short for this. Rechargeable is essential; no AAA batteries or other nonsense.
You are under a misapprehension: modern portable electronic devices spend most of their time in sleep mode. When an alarm is reached, they wake up.

It would need to be able to dock with my desktop PC at home (WinXP Pro), but it would also be nice if it could dock with my G5 iMac at work (Leopard).

The display could be monochrome and text only, for all I care. Preferably it would have both a silent vibrate mode and audible alarm mode.

A built-in recorder would be great, so I could record spoken commands ("Take your vitamins!").

I recommend you look into Jott (about $40/year) and a cell phone of your choice. Jott has a desktop client that will run on both your PC and your Mac.

dschaffner

Registered
rch427;63826 said:
I'd like to keep the price at or below $100.

My wife was very happy with her palm z22 for several years.

If cost is really an issue, you might also think about paper, at least until your get your system up and running.

- Don

rch427

Registered
dschaffner;63859 said:
My wife was very happy with her palm z22 for several years.

If cost is really an issue, you might also think about paper, at least until your get your system up and running.

- Don

Perhaps I shouldn't've mentioned the price aspect; after all, it's unlikely that a device as limited in scope as I outlined, could realistically sell for more than $100 anyway.

As for using paper -- that would be fine, if only paper could kick me in the butt and remind me that it's time to drink a glass of water, or whatever. Sadly, all of the paper I have is rather quiet and passive.

Do you know if your wife's Z22 had the functions I described in my wish list above? I was considering either a Z22 or a Tungsten T2; both are available in my price range, but I'm having a difficult time learning whether they do what I need them to.

Thanks --

dschaffner

Registered
rch427;63862 said:
Do you know if your wife's Z22 had the functions I described in my wish list above? I was considering either a Z22 or a Tungsten T2; both are available in my price range, but I'm having a difficult time learning whether they do what I need them to.

* That the device would need to be on and running constantly limits my options, since many PDAs seem to have a battery charge-length too short for this. Rechargeable is essential; no AAA batteries or other nonsense.

z22 is rechargable. Why does the device need to be "running constantly"?

*It would need to be able to dock with my desktop PC at home (WinXP Pro), but it would also be nice if it could dock with my G5 iMac at work (Leopard).

Palm devices sync with PCs and Macs

* The display could be monochrome and text only, for all I care.

The display is color but lo-res.

*Preferably it would have both a silent vibrate mode and audible alarm mode.

Yup.

* A built-in recorder would be great, so I could record spoken commands

No, but you can set an alarm to go off 8 times a day to remind you to drink a glass of water.

- Don

rch427

Registered
dschaffner;63887 said:
*Why does the device need to be "running constantly"?

Well, since I've never had a PDA, I don't know if it needs to be turned off to preserve the battery, or if it will still set off alarms for scheduled events, unless it's "running". My laptop can schedule and notify for all manner of events, but unless I leave it turned on, it ain't gonna tell me about them. And when it is turned on, the battery only lasts about 5 hours. Clearly, that sort of system and battery performance isn't going to get me through the typical 16-hour day of events.

dschaffner;63887 said:
*No, but you can set an alarm to go off 8 times a day to remind you to drink a glass of water.

- Don

Is there a practical limit to how many different events it can remind you of? My typical workday consists of an average of about 40 events, only a few of which repeat within the day.

Thanks for the info --

Robert