What the audio CD's are lacking that's in the book?

J

Joe

I've listened to the CD's, but I need to get the book now, because from online discussions, they speak of things that clearly weren't on the CD's. Also, I perused a book on the shelf and quickly found a whole section that was new.
Is it a matter of chapters/sections that are left out of the CD and so I only have to go and read those parts? Or is it abridged throughout on an equal basis?

C

CKH

I have the cassettes. I'm pretty sure they're the same sound track as the CDs.

The tapes are a recording of a two-day seminar David Allen presented. They're NOT a reading of the book, whether abridged or unabridged. To me, the two media are complementary, not congruent.

I had the book for several years before I purchased the cassettes about a month ago. Since I'm a strong auditory learner, the tapes helped me actually get off my duff and DO something about implementing the GTD system rather than keeping the whole thing as a "Someday/Maybe."

Cynthia

J

Jason Womack

CD's that are out there.

I've listened to the CD's, but I need to get the book now, because from online discussions, they speak of things that clearly weren't on the CD's. Also, I perused a book on the shelf and quickly found a whole section that was new.

GTD Fast - an abridged version of David Allen presenting the 2-day seminar live...
GTD Abridged - David reading and abridged copy of GTD "the book."
RFA (Ready for Anything) Abridged - David reading selected productivity principles
RFA complete - an "actor" reading the full book.

I recommend to anyone in the GTD seminars I present that they surround themselves with the information they are trying to learn. In this case - productivity, personal and interactive - these "cd programs" will add a lot to the learning experience.

J

Joe

The CD's I listened too were him reading from an abridement of the book. This was not a seminar.
Still like to know if I need to read the whole book now, or just certain chapters.

ceehjay

Registered
Read the whole book?

Joe, I would read the whole book, but that has to do with my personal learning style. I learn best when I see/read the material, but listening to the audio often brings out nuances that lead to new understanding.

I have both GTD and RFA abridged audios, as well as the hardback GTD and RFA at home, and the paperback GTD at work. Sometimes nothing else works as well as picking up the book and doing some refresher reading.

I agree with Jason. Surround yourself with what you want to learn. I do that with all my interests -- gardening, quilting, all sorts of other needlework, tai chi, chi gung, etc. That's why my house is overflowing with books. :)

Carolyn

GGG

Registered
Joe said:
Is it a matter of chapters/sections that are left out of the CD and so I only have to go and read those parts? Or is it abridged throughout on an equal basis?

The answer is both. The "books on tape" audio CDs are in some sections abridgments of the text, especially the first chapter; but the main difference is that the CDs leave out whole sections in the second half of the book, where DA walks you through a detailed setting-up of the system. The CDs jump to the last three chapters of the book. If you want detailed help with implementing GTD, I would get the book.