What to do with...?

A

A2JC4life

What do I do with miscellaneous ideas/notes to myself? I know I want to process them out of "in," but into what? Here are a couple of items that are currently on my in "list":

Mom wants a denim apron that goes over her shoulders and not around her neck. (gift idea)

1 Thess. 5:18 "this is the will of God" - from Kate Estes' blog (not sure what I want to do with this - add it to my Bible notes, blog about it myself, something; it just caught my attention)

What do I do with this kind of "stuff" - how do I make it not "stuff" anymore?

roakleyca

Registered
A2JC4life;49648 said:
Mom wants a denim apron that goes over her shoulders and not around her neck. (gift idea)

For me, I have a Note in outlook, linked to my Blackberry, obviously, which is titled, you guessed it - "Gift Ideas"
In the "notes" section of the Note I would have:

Wife:
- gift 1
- gift 2
- gift 3

Mom
- denim apron that goes over her shoulders and not around her neck
- gift 2

1 Thess. 5:18 "this is the will of God" - from Kate Estes' blog (not sure what I want to do with this - add it to my Bible notes, blog about it myself, something; it just caught my attention)

For quotes, I use Google Notebook. It's great for this use. It's also good for bits of information you find online - which you'd like to keep. You should check it out.

Hope that helps!!!

Ryan

S

Scott Moehring

work the process

My suggestion is to work the GTD process. Mom's apron - is this actionable? If yes, then it becomes a Project with a Next Action like "look for apron" in @Errands or "draw pattern for apron" in @Home. If it isn't actionable yet, then it can go into Someday/Maybe. I have a gifts section there that is organized by person. It hold all sorts of random ideas of things they've said as well as stuff I've come up with on my own. When the big day rolls around, I will see it in my Weekly Review and move it into the Project/Next Action live portion of my lists.

Making a subdivided Someday/Maybe was one of the best things I have ever done. It really helps with keeping a clear mind. Things are safely captured, but not weighing on me because I haven't committed to them yet. I highly encourage you to make your own subcategories, but here are some of mine:

BUY
FIND
giving_GIFTS
giving_VOLUNTEER
learning_BOOKS TO READ
learning_RECIPES
learning_SKILLS
OFFICE
writing_BOOKS
writing_SMALL PROJECTS

Scott

A

A2JC4life

Scott Moehring;49740 said:
... but here are some of mine:

BUY
FIND
giving_GIFTS
giving_VOLUNTEER
learning_BOOKS TO READ
learning_RECIPES
learning_SKILLS
OFFICE
writing_BOOKS
writing_SMALL PROJECTS

Scott

Very cool! Thanks. :)

L

lightson

cornell;49758 said:
I use a simple formatted text file for capturing all kind of information like this. I've set up a few macros to make capture and time-stamping very fast, and I have a basic search facility (including Wiki-style tags) that helps me find information when I need it. More at
Pickle jars, text files, and creative idea capture, if you're interested.

Great blogs. It was usefull fo rme. Nice tricky macro stuff. I need it too now :)

Thanks
Charlene