What works like dropbox?

tsalley

Registered
I use Dropbox for all my personal files. It has changed my life!

I like to keep work and personal stuff totally separated. What services work like Dropbox? The thing I most like about DP is that it is not web only. Files always reside on my computer and are accessible, even without a net connection. Most other services seem to be cloud only, or are not clear about how sync works.

malisa

Registered
The two that I've heard of are mozy and sugarsync. I don't know much of anything about either. I've been meaning to check into them all for work. The problem I have is that I can't install any software on my work computer, so the way I understand some/all of these is that I would then have to download and upload files each time I'd work on them. It wouldn't be clean like it would if I could install software.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I'd be happy to leave an external attached if that would help. I've got plenty of them lying around, I'd leave one at work if necessary. But I don't have admin privileges/can't install anything. (I'm not very Windows literate...so I think I'm saying these things correctly.)

cojo

Registered
Dropbox has a beta feature where you can exclude folders from certain computers. All you have to do is create one folder called "Work", one folder called "Personal", and then on your work computer, de-select the personal folder so it does not sync at all.

Very helpful! I love Dropbox. :D

Noel

Registered
Things that work like Dropbox.

You may also want to look into SugarSync and Box.net. They are both similar to DropBox. SugarSync has a nice feature where you can designate any folder on your computer as a folder that you want to include in your syncing. As far as I know, DropBox requires you to put documents specific "Dropbox" folder. All there services have a free account so you can try them out.

allan60

Registered
That was very interesting I'm looking for some things or where to save my files and this gives me an idea. Thanks for sharing this one. I'll be checking this out.

jalbright

Registered
Evernote is a very good and better solution (IMHO) to Dropbox

You get 500MB per month on a Premium account which is less than $20 per year. Has very nice integration into a GTD system

www.evernote.com

bwheatsimms

Registered
Personally, I prefer humyo to all. It gives you 30g of free storage and the upgrade provides a desktop manager for mac, pc and there's a mobile site that works great.

The biggest thing I like about it is that you can choose which files to sync between computers and this is great if you have a lot of stuff and don't want to clog up your computers.

Plus, and this is huge, there support is great. I've used them for a while and they always help if there's a problem, which is rarely the case.

My 2 cents.

brett

jakegray

Registered
Evernote integration w/GTD

Please elaborate...how do you use Evernote for GTD (how is the integration with GTD accomplished)? Is there a YouTube video, or other URL link to articles or information you can share to explain?

Thank you in advance for your help!

jalbright;81653 said:
You get 500MB per month on a Premium account which is less than $20 per year. Has very nice integration into a GTD system

www.evernote.com

TesTeq

Registered
I use Google to find information and links.

jakegray;87062 said:
Please elaborate...how do you use Evernote for GTD (how is the integration with GTD accomplished)? Is there a YouTube video, or other URL link to articles or information you can share to explain?

I use Google to find information and links. For example you can search for "evernote gtd implementation" and you will find many very interesting links.

James Taylor

Registered
jakegray;87062 said:

Thank you in advance for your help!

Here are 3 posts I found very useful in working out how best to use Evernote for GTD. In the end my own system now only uses Evernote for project management and reference material (and not for tasks) - which is not to minimise it's role; indeed I use Evernote daily, and have already accumulated thousands of notes. It's two main benefits for storing reference material, for me, are:

1) Easy clipping & tagging of web pages (usually blog posts for me)
2) Auto OCR of PDFs enabling easy searching for text strings

Here are the three posts (in increasing order of complexity), which you may find useful:
http://www.digitizd.com/2009/04/23/9-ways-i-use-evernote/
http://www.40tech.com/2009/08/25/getting-things-done-gtd-in-evernote-with-only-one-notebook/
http://ruudhein.com/evernote-gtd

If anyone has come across other posts on Evernote and GTD, I'd be glad to see them too...