Whats Better WM6 or Blackberry for GTD

M

msarwar

Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my phone and there are a ton of choices out there = me confused :???: .

I've been following GTD for about a year now with mixed succes. Everything runs very smoothly when I'm at my desk / laptop but once i step out of that zone I lose track of things. I've tried carrying notebooks / cue cards around with me but they always get misplaced / lost / i just don't enjoy using them.

Geek that i am i like playing with technology and i know that having a smartphone around will really make things a lot more efficient for me when on the go. Herein lies the problem.

I'm largely undecided between the new Blackberry 8820 (Tmobile Curve) and the AT&T Tilt. Both would do email well enough to suit my purposes (i'm no addict). What i'm really looking for is something that will function really well with my Outlook at work (around which my GTD world revolves!). I organize my lists around the Outlook task categories and would love to be able to add / modify my tasks on the fly (so i can later sync em back with my laptop).

I'm leaning towards the Curve cause of its form factor and the fact that it would be easier to slip into my pocket than the Tilt. Im undecided on whether the form factor is worth giving up on WM6 and the supposedly obvious synergies with Outlook.

I've been browsing through the forums and came across some posts that mentioned managing / entering tasks on a BB can be a pain. Is this true and how much of a pain.

I really want something that i can enter/modify tasks on the go on.

I've been stuck between these two options for days now and I would really appreciate it if you could lend some insight or personal experiences to this.

THANKS!!!!
Omair

sdhill

Registered
BB is easy to use

I use my BB 8800 to manage my NAs when I'm out of the office and I find it really easy. I have just bought NextAction 2.0 which makes it even better as you can more easily filter NAs by Outlook category. Combine this with the MemoPad app that syncs with Outlook Notes and I have everything covered.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Simon

M

msarwar

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I understand that it syncs well from Outlook --> BB. Are there any issues syncing back from the BB --> Outlook with either tasks or the memopad app?

Thanks again,
Omair

R

rbhailey

Omair,

I now have the HTC version of Tilt on the ATT network and love it. Using WM6 for GTD has been good for me since I stopped trying to over complicate the PIM. I simply filter the tasks by category and look at Home when at home and Errrands when out and Calls-you get the concept. I am trying to get better at using to capture more.

Brad

M

msarwar

Thanks for the input Brad.

Is the Tilt not too bulky to carry around on a day to day basis?

Does the BB not also offer similar task categorizing ability?

I would really love to hear from ppl that have switched platforms (ie. have had some experience with both WM & BB and which do they prefer?)

Cheers,
Omair

sdhill

Registered
msarwar;52905 said:
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I understand that it syncs well from Outlook --> BB. Are there any issues syncing back from the BB --> Outlook with either tasks or the memopad app?

Thanks again,
Omair

No issues going the other way either - works like a charm. Prior to being given my BB by my work I was a Windows Mobile user on my PDA. Although this was pre-GTD in my view the BB handles tasks, appts, contacts and email as well as Windows. I'm really happy with it.

Simon

ommoran

Registered
sdhill;52896 said:
I use my BB 8800 to manage my NAs when I'm out of the office and I find it really easy. I have just bought NextAction 2.0 which makes it even better as you can more easily filter NAs by Outlook category.

I concur with this on my 8703e. I also work at an organization that syncs everything wirelessly, including tasks, appointments and memos. It works perfectly.

And, I never have to reset the unit. Unlike my simple Palm T|E

moises

Registered
Using BB with hundreds of tasks

For you BB users: Any of you have 1,000 or more tasks? If so, what is the performance like when you use tasks?

As others have mentioned on other threads. WM is woefully slow for those of us with a large amount of tasks. Palm OS seems to handle large numbers of tasks well. How about BB?

ommoran

Registered
msarwar;52905 said:
Hi,

Thanks again,
Omair

Depends. Mine seamlessly syncs from BB -> Outlook (also using NextAction! 2.0, which is not necessary), but we are using BES, which I think makes it requried.

You may need to manually sync if you are using simple pop mail.

funkym

Registered
I think the BlackBerry is better for GTD as it comes with a full keyboard (well, my Pearl has SureType; but most BlackBerries have a full keyboard). So entering task names and stuff is pretty easy. I am also using NA and won't miss it.

P.S.: Heard about rumors that a new task application from them is about to come in the near future which is not completely straight GTD like NextAction! but also worth to check it out. If someone knows more about that, you can leave me a note ;)