when all task are in one context?

haga2000

Registered
one key pricinple of GTD is to sort and organise task in context @home @work @computer etc.

For me and an I assume for many others too most task (> 95%) that need to get done is @work, probably also @computer @work
(for my its silly to write on a list remember milk or call mum)

The GTD system very little tools and method when the tasks are within one context, and priotising between them is not obvious
I wish I could see a method that works well in this very common situation

Myriam

Registered
create your own contexts

hi,

you need to create your own contexts... if almost all of your work is done @computer, then you might need to refine that one, for example by using @programming, @mail, @whatever is relevtn to you. It might be linked to a program you use, or to a type of activity. I use contexts like @search (for searching info), @author (for writing), @admin (for administrative taksk), ...

There are a lot of discussions on this forum about this subject, just do a search on "context" and they will emerge...

greetings,
Myriam

TesTeq

Registered
I am in a minority.

haga2000;92553 said:
For me and an I assume for many others too most task (> 95%) that need to get done is @work, probably also @computer @work (for my its silly to write on a list remember milk or call mum)

So I am in a minority. Work is important but my home and fitness related projects are very important too. And my music related projects are still on hold. :-(

Cpu_Modern

Registered
haga2000;92553 said:
(for my its silly to write on a list remember milk or call mum)
Silly is to me to have your weekend plans spoiled because missing groceries or to dissapoint mum on an emotional level, just because I did not jot it down.

Suelin23

Registered
Right now I have 138 next actions on @work office, and whilst I do use a lot of my other contexts, most of my work actions are on this one context.
So I use tags to assign energy levels (most of these are mental thinking types) - abstract, detailed, admin, project management, planning, physical. I also use icons for the time, and my app also has an importance field, which I use for priority. So I can decide what to do based on context, time, energy, priority.
Also I find if I have a day with no meetings at all or nothing scheduled on my calendar, my preference is to do work from a variety of different energy types throughout the day, helps keep me mentally fresh by changing pace and not sticking to the one type all day.

Tspall

Registered
haga2000;92553 said:
The GTD system very little tools and method when the tasks are within one context, and priotising between them is not obvious
I wish I could see a method that works well in this very common situation

You can always modify your @work context to better fit your needs.
(I don't know your exact situation) Some examples could be @work-copy machine, @work-internet, @work-programming, @work-email.

Several contexts can also be used for work related things. @computer (especially for email), @agenda-Mr. Smith, for example can be used to track work related actions.

Oogiem

Registered
Separate by SW Package?

haga2000;92553 said:
For me and an I assume for many others too most task (> 95%) that need to get done is @work, probably also @computer @work
(for my its silly to write on a list remember milk or call mum

Why not separate your @computer tasks into groups by software package needed?

I have at times had contexts of @photoshop @internet @scrivener @quicken @grassroots

I also do put things like milk or calling friends and family on my lists. In fact I have a special computer app just for my shopping list because we only go shopping once a month and I have to be sure I get everything in that trip because the major stores are 75 miles away. YMMV however.

Brent

Registered
To take this in a slightly different direction:

I've been aggressively culling down my @Work Projects and Next Actions, so that I only have the ones I'm actively working on this week in there. All else goes into Someday/Maybe. That way, I'm not overwhelmed with Projects.

Focusing on only, say, 10 active Projects has helped me to get them done. If something comes up on another Project, it's still recorded in Someday/Maybe for reference.

Cpu_Modern

Registered
Brent;92700 said:
I only have the ones I'm actively working on this week in there. All else goes into Someday/Maybe.
This goes against the standard ruleset of GTD and that makes it an unelegant solution. I can't bring myself to follow your path based on that philosophical issue. From the discussions here years ago you may remember that I am not the only one. However, other than that I still remember your video and the details of your system and think that yours is one of the coolest GTD systems ever. Specially the twist with highlighting in 2 different colors and what it means to you has earned my admiration.

macgrl

Registered
Just to clarify something that I have been unsure of - can you have a next action under more than one context?

S-Tolland

Registered
I think there would be no harm in this. What would be important, would be to note on the action that it was in two contexts, so that you could tick it off in both areas when you completed it.

Oogiem

Registered
macgrl;92750 said:
Just to clarify something that I have been unsure of - can you have a next action under more than one context?

I would say generally not. While there are individual examples that could be in multiple contexts usually there is one necessary context and that's where it should go.

Tspall

Registered
Personally, I will use more than one context only for @computer/@work and @phone/@work. Since I'm using RTM, this allows me to keep all my work related things together, my phone things together, and my computer items together. This way, I can go through my action lists several different ways and still see the item needs done. The combinations I use above could be done both at work and home, but still lets me see all my work related actions in one list. Not something I do all the time, but helpful when necessary.