• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

When getting IN to Empty where do you put everything?

I'm trying to implement GTD for the first time, I read the book and have started to set up a paper based notebook for my lists of Projects, Next Actions, Waiting For, Someday/Maybe, then I added a Miscellaneous tab.

But I'm the kind of guy that had piles of stuff everywhere on my desk and the floor around me. I started by putting it all in my inbox and then going through them one by one and just writing down what it was/delegating/or tossing. But now I still have a large stack of paper and files on my desk, what do I do with it?

I have a lot of work that is pending at any given time and doesn't really require me to do anything yet (so they go on my Waiting For list), but what do I do with the files or paperwork in the meantime?
 
I would set up the A-Z filing system described in the book and get stuff into it. The other possibility is the tickler file so things show up when they need to be worked on.

I have found the simple A-Z filing system has been one of the best things about GTD for me. I can retreive stuff, but not have it laying around
 
If I plan on keeping a piece of paper, it will go in one of three places:

1. Reference (A-Z filing for quick retrieval, even if I think I might need the document for only a few days)
2. Tickler file (for retrieval at a later date)
3. Circa Notebook (for papers on active projects only, alphabetized by project)

I will generally annotate my list items with where I can find its supporting material. The only "pile" I have in my work area is the inbox itself.

A note on the Circa: I could just as easily not use it for project support, and keep everything in my reference system instead. However, I like having my active work in one place. There have been too many meetings where I discussed a project without it being on the agenda. This way, I can ensure that I don't forget a file or show up unprepared.
 
In addition to A-Z reference files I have an A-Z Active project file drawer for project support materials. Once done, the completed project folders get filed in the A-Z reference. If there is a project I want to activate in the future, I will keep that in the A-Z reference file and put a notation to open that in my tickler or calendar.

The point is to know where the support material is. So, get plenty of file folders and a labeler.
 
des, thanks for asking! I'm looking to do the initial collection this weekend, and was still confused on that same point.

thanks also to all who responded... I think I'll implement a 2-system approach for active projects vs. true reference.
 
Police yellow tape hack.

des;56498 said:
But now I still have a large stack of paper and files on my desk, what do I do with it?

You can use the police yellow tape hack. Somehow mark the pile (if it is really huge you can surround it with the yellow tape) and put a project "Process the pile" on your Project or Someday/Maybe list). Then deal with it like with any other GTD project.
 
des;56498 said:
I'm trying to implement GTD for the first time, I read the book and have started to set up a paper based notebook for my lists of Projects, Next Actions, Waiting For, Someday/Maybe, then I added a Miscellaneous tab.

Des, just one warning: I'd be very leery of having a tab marked Miscellaneous. Why? Well, it's far too vague, and if you're anything like me, it will end up as a de facto Too Hard basket. You'll gradually accumulate a bunch of stuff in there that you don't want to think about, which will poison your system.
 
Top