Why do GTD Task Manager videos on YouTube not have GTD Contexts?

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
"I am definitely in the GTD camp. I have no difficulty imagining why the GTD approach can alienate some, but I think if you would change or modify GTD in those fundamental respects it would no longer really be GTD".

I disagree with the underlined portion of your statement, Folke. I too am in the GTD camp and have no concerns about modifications that are suited for one's personal style. And after a 45-60 minute phone conversation with a senior GTD coach yesterday, my "modifications" ARE within good GTD practices.

Folke

Registered
I was not particularly talking about you. I have the impression that your approach is a very, very minor "deviation" from the "orthodox core teachings" of book 1. I also have the impression that the good folks at Davidco like to encourage people to "deviate" (adapt) if they really feel that they need to. But look at a typical project management type of person, and you will see what I mean - exactly what I wrote above: They put dates on absolutely everything that has any degree of importance. That is a huge difference. It leaves very little room for making gut decisions in the moment, making the best use of each moment, which I assume you agree is the primary way in GTD.

And because the primary way is apparently - unfortunately - so alien or unfathomable to so many, I think it can easily backfire (explode) if Davidco get too generous with their "approvals". Quite soon GTD might become seen as just yet another date-based project management approach with little or no unique character. It would then have much less value to the world (and possibly less value to Davidco, too, even financially). Who needs yet another scheduling system?

What I think David - or someone - might want to do is offer more innovative supplementary advice for those who crave a higher level of control and detail than core GTD offers. The concept of "hard landscape" would then be a good starting point, I believe. Some things simply are harder or firmer than others, even if nothing is die-hard. Booking appointments with yourself is neither innovative nor even the slightest bit "hard" nor at all in line with the more dynamic primary way of making gut-felt decisions - it is more of an "unfortunate exception" for lack of a better way to attain a sense of sufficient control, the way I see it. But to each his own. We probably all do what we want, whether we get approval or not, don't we ;-)

Longstreet

Well, I agree with some of your comments, but not all. But nicely written!

Longstreet

"Booking appointments with yourself is neither innovative nor even the slightest bit "hard" nor at all in line with the more dynamic primary way of making gut-felt decisions - it is more of an "unfortunate exception" for lack of a better way to attain a sense of sufficient control, the way I see it".

@Folke: This is the statement that I strongly disagree with. Adding something to my calendar -- whether it be an Area of Focus block, a goal or project block, or a major next action block -- is a commitment to me and hardly an "unfortunate exception"! You say to each their own, but the tone behind your statement quoted here was full of disdain for those of us who are natural planners and thrive on making these kinds of plans during the week. I do this at the end of my weekly review. Of course I may have to renegotiate with myself if more important work shows up. Not a problem...with a digital calendar, it is so easy to reschedule. I track the next actions I schedule within Nirvana as a waiting for item (myself). If you work best following to the letter "trusting your gut" and making decisions on what to do next every step of the way through the day, then fantastic. I support you vehemently. But just be aware that there are A LOT of people like me that this does not work well. We thrive on action plans and sequences -- and yes -- designating times for items on the calendar.

InevitablePast

Registered
chirmer said:
I use Todoist for GTD, and find their recommended setup inferior. If you are considering Todoist and want to know how I use the app, I'll happily comply - but I won't spam the thread otherwise ;)
Actually, I use TickTick but I'd love to hear your setup. I've been following your posts for a while. You give great advice.

Folke

Registered
Longstreet said:
If you work best following to the letter "trusting your gut" and making decisions on what to do next every step of the way through the day, then fantastic. I support you vehemently. But just be aware that there are A LOT of people like me that this does not work well.

Yeah, I know, because I am one of them - in case you had not heard me say that; I often say the exact same thing - that there are lots of people who suffer and even abandon GTD for that reason. I am with you 100% that scanning long lists or too many lists over and over and over all day long is not my preferred way to build trust in my system. I suffer from that approach, just like you do. And that is why I find the problem interesting to discuss, and find all good solutions to have a potential value.

Both you and I have figured out workarounds that we are happy with. So that's good. You schedule your most important things. I color-code them. Neither of these methods is the primary way of core GTD. I make no bones about using an unofficial trick, but I do not care much if people call me not GTD, because I am not looking for blessing - but I would love to see some app makers pick up my idea so that I have more and better apps to choose from; as it is now, very few of them support color coding. Or if David would borrow the idea for his next book or article. You, on the other hand, seem to care a lot more about whether your "enhanced" GTD approach is blessed - even talked to a coach about it. I think you shouldn't care so much about what others think, but for what it is worth I will gladly give you my blessing. I think you are doing exactly the right thing in attempting to enhance the basic GTD method. I have used plain old GTD-style context lists on paper for more than twenty years back in the 1900s and can testify that they work alright - but I want something that works even better, smoother, more effortlessly with greater clarity, leaving me more time to reflect and do. I have always disliked using phony dates, though, and doubt that I will ever use that particular trick ;-). (I am teasing you ;-))

Gardener

Registered
Folke said:
Booking appointments with yourself is neither innovative nor even the slightest bit "hard" nor at all in line with the more dynamic primary way of making gut-felt decisions - it is more of an "unfortunate exception" for lack of a better way to attain a sense of sufficient control, the way I see it. But to each his own. We probably all do what we want, whether we get approval or not, don't we ;-)

I'm curious as to your definition of "booking appointments with yourself." For example, if a programmer decides that the first six work hours of Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday will be devoted to writing code, and rejects all other activity (no email, no calls, no IMs, no meetings, no drop-ins, no self-distraction), is that booking an appointment, or something else?

I don't consider it an appointment so much as structure, like one's hours of going to and from work are structure.

Longstreet

I agree with @Gardener's assessment. I see it as a commitment to dedicate time towards that labeled time block. It is a work structure that you decided is important to have.

Longstreet

@Folke: I did not pursue a "blessing" from the senior GTD coach. It was a great discussion and a validation that my approach is within GTD best practices. I did this....and this is being discussed on the GTD Connect forums....because of colleagues here stating that our collective practices are "anti-GTD" and not following GTD practices, or this is not in the book, etc. and it is not just one coach....it is many validating my approach, apparently including David Allen himself.

TesTeq

Registered
Longstreet said:
Adding something to my calendar -- whether it be an Area of Focus block, a goal or project block, or a major next action block -- is a commitment to me and hardly an "unfortunate exception"!

Why does David Allen try to "force" us to avoid cluttering our calendars ("hard landscape") with tasks to do?

Because in the era of paper planners he found that moving (rewriting) undone tasks from yesterday to today is a big waste of time. Even in the era of software planners it is a very unproductive thing to do.

So my advice is: "in your calendar put only these commitments that are critical". By "critical" I mean "if you won't do them the world will end, you will go to a jail, you will lose your reputation and so on". "Critical" means that the task CANNOT be postponed till tomorrow.

notmuch

Registered
TesTeq said:
Why does David Allen try to "force" us to avoid cluttering our calendars ("hard landscape") with tasks to do?

Because in the era of paper planners he found that moving (rewriting) undone tasks from yesterday to today is a big waste of time...

Bingo. Can't remember the last time I owned, let alone "wrote", in a paper calendar.

TesTeq said:
Even in the era of software planners it is a very unproductive thing to do...

Really? It literally takes me two clicks (or taps) to add a task to my calendar.... and two more to delete it if plans change. I make my "today" list on my calendar , typically scheduling 2 or 3 "focus sessions"... times when my mind is usually at its peak. Later in the day I may employ the more orthodox select a task in the moment method.

btw, DA's other big reason for not using the calendar is that the "soft" blend with the hard events, diminishing their importance. Which is exactly why I use unique calendars and colors to distinguish the two.

I've done it both ways, and for my brain type, relying on selecting tasks in the moment is often the more "unproductive thing to do". So no, I won't be following your advice, but I'm truly glad it works for you. To each his own.

TesTeq

Registered
notmuch said:
Really? It literally takes me two clicks (or taps) to add a task to my calendar.... and two more to delete it if plans change.

Yes. Repeat it for 100 Next Actions that have accumulated in your calendar and you'll find it very unproductive.

notmuch

Registered
TesTeq said:
Yes. Repeat it for 100 Next Actions that have accumulated in your calendar and you'll find it very unproductive.

Yes... letting 100 na's accumulate on your calendar would be very unproductive. Thanks for pointing that out.