43 Folders... For a road warrior

sesteph6

Registered
Anyone have a great tickler system for a road warrior. Im rarely in my office, never in my home office. I spend most of my time on planes and in hotels. anyone have a success with a tickler system for a road warrior?

Oogiem

Registered
I'm the opposite of a road warrior, I live and work in the same place, but have you considered a completely digital version? Perhaps you can scan all papers unless they need a legal signature and implement a 43 folders type tickler digitally. I'm considering implementing one that will pop the items back into my inbox on the appointed day but haven't done it yet. Still mulling the options. Lots of help and tutorials out on the web for digital ticklers for almost any platform. I know I found a set of Hazel rules on Github, a version of scripts to implement one in DEVONThink and I thought I found one that integrated Hazel and Omnifocus. I know I also saw stuff for Evernote as well but since I don't use that I ignored it. I'd do some searched for digital tickler implementations and see what you find that matches your current portable digital tools.

mikelawr

Registered
I implemented a digital tickler file using Google Calendar and it works great for me. I created a separate calendar that has all of my tickler entries (one-time and recurring). Then, I wrote a program that will check it daily and if there are any entries for the day, it will automatically add them to the inbox in my digital GTD system. I've never had the need for scanned documents in my tickler, so I haven't tried anything with that yet.

Folke

Registered
By the same token, if you do not need scanned documents etc then actually most GTD apps (and many other todo apps) have a built-in tickler mechanism. (It is usually called Scheduled or Start date etc, but never mind the terminology; you would use it as a tickler system).

And even if you need scanned documents and other attachments there are still a number of apps that do even that (or you could keep those in some cloud storage such as Google Drive or Dropbox and just link to them from your app). And there are even plenty of scanning apps for the iPhone (and I assume Android), such as Evernote/Scannable, if you need to scan things while on the road.

Folke

Registered
I did use Nirvana, and it has a good, reliable tickler system (called Scheduled). Now I use Doit, and it has that exact same kind of thing (also called Scheduled).

I don't think either of them can manage attachments, though; so you'd have to paste a link to Dropbox, GDrive; Evernote etc in the task's comments if you need to keep scanned documents "integrated", or take a look at Zendone or IQTell for more elaborate Evernote integration.