Narrative versus Lists (Journaling?)

Gardener

Registered
So, I've been thinking about a substantial new element that I may be adding to my own practice of GTD: Narrative. Now, I realize that GTD certainly doesn't object to narrative, but it also doesn't specifically include it.

What do I mean by narrative?

The other day I was trying to work out what to do from among my bazillions of actions-priorities. I was stuck. And instead of writing lists or outlines or list-type brainstorming, I sat down and started writing sentences and paragraphs: Narrative. I didn't write this as a focused tidy problem description and solution, but instead as a brain dump, discussing topics as they came to mind and following tangents when they came up.

Within twenty minutes of starting to write, I had:

- Come up with a structure and strategy regarding the management and tracking of specific tasks and their resulting products--a problem that had been hanging around, suffering from an "almost good enough" practice, for more than a year.
- Brought a goal to the surface, a goal that had been "underneath" several tasks, but that I had never consciously surfaced and thought about. That goal changes the priority and order of a number of tasks.
- Clarified, in my mind, a series of dependencies that had not been clarified.
- Surfaced the reason for several stalled tasks, and a strategy for un-stalling them and preventing a recurrence of the same problem.

You may notice that the word "surfaced" keeps coming up. There seem to be many things that lists and actions refer to, and imply, and result from, but don't actually define. I was under the impression that I was aware of and understood these issues, but it appears that I don't REALLY understand these things as much as I think that I do. Expressing them informally in words, writing sentences and paragraphs until I feel that I've really dumped my thinking about them, seems to change and enhance my understanding far, far more than I would have been predicted.

Remember the Underpants Gnomes in South Park, and their business plan?

Collect Underpants
??
Profit

I feel as if writing this narrative has revealed pockets of ?? that I was previously unaware of.

Now, my first thought here is that perhaps this reflects a failure on my part to implement the higher-level parts of GTD, the goals and horizons and, um, stuff. But only the second of my examples above is really at the "above actions" level. The rest of them address things that are down in the trenches.

I'm concluding that at least for me, freeform narrative addressed to myself fosters a type of thinking that lists, and unwritten musing, and meetings, and emails and documents addressed to others, do not. I suppose that this is "journaling". I never really got the point of journaling before; maybe I see it now.

So does anyone else do this? Does anyone incorporate anything like this into their regular habits? Is there something that does this in GTD and I just missed it entirely?

I'm planning to incorporate it as a specific part of my practice, though I'm not sure precisely where. I was thinking that the journaling would benefit from the information that comes from the weekly review, but then I thought that I don't want to do the weekly review and the journaling as part of the same sit-down work session, because I think they call for a different mindset. The end goal of the weekly review is organization and decisions; the journaling apparently wants to be open-ended.

So I'm thinking that I may make an informal goal of spending half an hour of journaling for each day of, oh, the three days of the week that are farthest from the review. And after a month, see how it's been working.

Thoughts? Experiences?

ArcCaster

Registered
Hmmm -- GTD says that list making is a capture process -- in fact, the first step in the 5-step flow is 'capture'.

Many think writing is also a capture process -- you take what is in your head and capture it with pen and paper or keyboard. However...

I say writing is a creative process -- what is in your head is a sock full of disparate gold-plated dust motes and the connections among that heap of shifting motes are very tenuous, at best, until you start writing.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I have no experience with journaling per se but took a class in "freewriting" about twenty years ago. The idea is to start writing something and not stop for a predetermined amount of time. The practice forces you to suspend judgment and let your creative juices flow. Sounds like you've discovered a way to utilize this beyond creative writing. It's an intriguing idea. Thanks for sharing it.

CJSullivan

Registered
Gardener -- I realise this is an old post, but I've just re-joined Connect, and really resonate with what you're saying. I journal almost daily, mostly in Evernote, but also throughout the day I'll jot down observations, thoughts, overheard conversations, "brain dumps," in a small notebook. In addition, I've actually used narrative to tease out the higher levels: Level 2, Level 3 and beyond. It's a great way for me to work out positive outcome visions as well. I'll either do a "mock interview," in which I'm being asked questions about some positive endeavour as if I were being interviewed, or I'll write to someone describing a wildly successful event, project, or outcome. I don't do it nearly enough, actually -- I've always found it really powerful!

CJSullivan

Registered
P.S. In terms of implementing this intention to journal, I'm thinking perhaps the intention in itself is enough? (Sacrilege, perhaps, but worth experimenting with). Because this type of writing symbolises flow for me, it helps me to pay attention to when I'm feeling some sort of mental blockage. Then I know it's time to sit down and have a "think," either with pen and paper or at the keyboard. To give myself a goal of doing it X number of times per week, or on specific days or at specific times injects a structure that is antithetical to the whole purpose of the exercise (for ME, you understand - you might not feel this way).

Gardener

Registered
"That looks like the kind of subject line I would write. I should have a look...

Hey, look! It's me!"

CJ, I'm pleased that you responded.

The thing about whether this should be scheduled or not is an area where I tend to differ from a lot of people--specifically regarding writing, that is. For me, the trigger to sit down and start writing, and whether I actually have anything to write, don't seem to be all that connected. That is, having something to write doesn't trigger me to sit down and write.

So for me, it's worthwhile to drag myself to a keyboard for at least five minutes, to see if there is anything there. If I discover that there isn't, then it's probably not worthwhile to sit longer. (For this kind of journaling writing, that is. For writing fiction, which is so far just a hobby but I'd like to take beyond a hobby, I have discovered that my inclination to write, and my feeling of whether the writing is flowing or not, and my feeling of whether the writing is any good or not, are not correlated in any way whatsoever with the quality/worthwhileness of the writing. My best stories were dragged kicking and screaming out of my brain, word by word.)

SteelcaseGTDr

Bob Hendriksen
When I think of GTD, it's all a big ecosystem. As I've advanced in my practices, got proficient with my calendar, list manager, etc I've added elements to the system, like journaling. I use OneNote for jounraling only, and i do so using voice dictate. No drag. I built the habit by following the approach laid out in the book The Power of Habit by C.Duhigg. Also used an app Good Habit Maker" and had "Journal daily" on there for a month or so until it was ingrained. It really worked. I miss a day here and there, but pretty consistent. Definitely helpful, but also a very different aspect of my system, from my list manager / management of commitments.

SteelcaseGTDr

Bob Hendriksen
When I think of GTD, it's all a big ecosystem. As I've advanced in my practices, got proficient with my calendar, list manager, etc I've added elements to the system, like journaling. I use OneNote for journaling only, and I do so using voice dictate. No drag. I built the habit by following the approach laid out in the book The Power of Habit by C.Duhigg. Also used an app Good Habit Maker" and had "Journal daily" on there for a month or so until it was ingrained. It really worked. I miss a day here and there, but pretty consistent. Definitely helpful, but also a very different aspect of my system, from my list manager / management of commitments.