Weekly Review: Calendar Review Tips?

pod-boss

Registered
I'm looking for better ways to do the calendar review than I'm doing it now.

My current process is to Print from Outlook onto legal sized paper (1 month/page) and review (last month, current month, next month).

This works OK but I'm looking for better ways to do it. Any best practices to share? (I also recently hired an assistant to help with calendar management. Any tips for delegating this function?)

mcogilvie

Registered
i typically have about 3 scheduled events per day on average days. I just look at my calendar and react to it. If my calendar triggers something, it gets processed to lists, to calendar, occasionally to reference. It's not a big deal for me. Not thinking about it, just doing it. My list manager, which is currently Things but has been OmniFocus, supports robust ticklers so I don’t use my calendar for starting or finishing most next actions and projects. I do use it for timely information.

What issues do you have with calendar stuff?

AnneMKE

Registered
(I also recently hired an assistant to help with calendar management. Any tips for delegating this function?

My tip on delegating calendar is Go Big Or Go Home -- that is, delegate it completely or not at all. My first few months with an assistant who could help with my calendar were rocky -- until I realized I was the one who was making them rocky by coming in and out of doing it myself. Now my assistant has the clarity of knowing that the calendar is entirely her domain. I never schedule a professional interaction myself unless it's really an emergency.

RS356

Registered
I'd recommend being very clear with your assistant and communicate your non-negotiables, that is, what absolutely must be part of your schedule. For example, I leave the office by 4pm to allow for time with my family. I try to hold meetings in the afternoons, while reserving the mornings for brain intensive activities such as writing or analysis.

Starting off with a new assistant is a unique opportunity to hit the reset button on your calendar. You might want spend a few minutes during your next weekly review to map out what you'd like your ideal week to look like and then provide it to your assistant. It will take a few weeks to implement it because of what's already scheduled. I did this exercise a few years ago and the time investment has paid off many times over.