IPhone / Outlook Task Sync

Richard Wrigley

Registered
I am new to GTD and just set up my Outlook using GTD methodology. I am now researching iPhone apps that will allow me to capture and categorize tasks and sync with Outlook. I have tried Wunderlist, Todoist, Reminders and MS To-Do which don’t appear to support full GTD methodology. Does anyone have any App recommendations or suggestions on how to best implement the ones I have tried.

Thanks

GTDAcademic

Practicing GTD in the academic world.
I'm using TaskTask for syncing my iPhone to Outlook through my organization's Exchange Server. Works pretty well and will even allow you to access attachments (e.g. PDF's or docx's) you added to your Outlook. I'm not sure if it will allow you to attach files from your phone through the app, but all in all, I'm pretty pleased with it.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
We have a new Outlook guide coming out, hopefully this summer, that talks about how to sync Outlook to iPhone. Our current guide and methods don’t support that. But now that Microsoft To-Do supports this as a native solution, we have revamped our guide to help people implement this.

Basically you need to set up Task lists in Task folders (which will sync), not using the Master Category list (which won’t sync).

In the meantime, TaskTask would work too.

Hope that helps.

LanaR

Registered
I had the same issue, and finally found TaskTask. I would suggest you listen to the webinar on Outlook (Kelly does a great job of walking you though setting up Outlook.) You have to set up "categories", which I didn't know how to do. If you listen to the Webinar and set up your outlook based on Kelly's step-by-step, then you have to change the view option in TaskTask to Group by Category, which I didn't realize until someone mentioned it, and one I did, it made a world of a difference.

@kelstarrising I am looking forward to the Outlook webinar in September!

ejones

Registered
I have been struggling with this for a while. I use OmniFocus at home (Mac users at home), but and one of the millions that have to use a Windows platform at work. I tried using OmniFocus's web based app, but it's not as portable as I need to it to be and the syncing and updating still leaves something to be desired.

With all that said, I just purchased TaskTask last weekend - and love it. I'm able to enter a task on my iPhone, and it syncs perfectly with my Outlook account. For what it's worth, it you use your categories as outlined in the GTD Outlook setup guide there is a TaskTask add-on that allows you to add category functionality.

Works perfectly!