Ancient Psychology & GTD

andyphickman

Registered
I just finished writing a paper exploring the similarities between (1) the ancient psychological analysis of human action by Aristotle (4th century BC) and Aquinas (13 century AD) and (2) GTD.

I wanted to share it here as well in case there would be interest in reading it.

Regards,

Andy Hickman

Attachments

• What has Athens to Do with Ojai.pdf
    357.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

TesTeq

Registered
I just finished a paper exploring the similarities between (1) the ancient psychological analysis of human action by Aristotle (4th century BC) and Aquinas (13 century AD) and (2) GTD.

I wanted to share it here as well in case there would be interest in reading it.

Regards,

Andy Hickman
Thank you! I'm currently investigating the topic!

Aliman

Aliman
Andy,

Very interesting! I'm printing it out now and putting it in my "To Read" folder. I teach philosophy so when I say "interesting" I mean it.

Aloha,
Aliman

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
I just finished writing a paper exploring the similarities between (1) the ancient psychological analysis of human action by Aristotle (4th century BC) and Aquinas (13 century AD) and (2) GTD.

Regards,

Andy Hickman
I am reading it now and I am very impressed! Well done! :)

Andrew Whaley

Registered
Where are you studying? I found GTD and met David while studying at Thomas Aquinas College. I'm very fascinated by the connection and have thought a lot about. I may have mentinoned it briefly in my undergrad thesis. I just downloaded the paper and will read.

Pax!

Andrew

andyphickman

Registered
Aliman, I would love to know your thoughts whenever you get to read it.

Longstreet, thanks for the positive feedback!

Andrew, sounds like we would be quick friends (Chesterton was life changing for me). I am studying at Christendom. What is the story behind you meeting David at Thomas Aquinas?

Andrew Whaley

Registered
Well, the story is the answer to question posed in your title. The answer- about 11 miles of Highway 150. TAC is 11 miles outside Ojai. I had started a company and was working a job as a wine steward in Ojai, which in hindsight is very bad idea when trying to survive one of the harder academic programs in the country. I had found GTD, read it, and had began applying it. I had even bought a "Next Action Hero" hat! One day I walked up to wait on a table and recognized David. I said, "Hey! You're David Allen! Sir, you saved my life." and shook his hand. I found out later I was the first person after the book came out to randomly recognize David in public. Over the course of that meal I answered all of David and Kathryn's questions and arrangements were made to get them some of my Northern Italian style espresso blend. They gave me some free coaching and started by coffee from me for the office. The relationship grew, I went to conferences etc, and Kathryn and her sister came to my TAC graduation. They were just very kind people and took a great and generous interest in me. I would deliver coffee to their house and play with the dog. That would sometimes turn into dinner, wine, or bocce in the backyard. I've just begun your paper, but if you do what you say, I've actually had that conversation with David about his work. I haven't seen them forever since they left Ojai and moved to Europe. It's nice to see another Catholic thinker engaging his work, even if it's at the second best Catholic school in America. LOL. (rivalries die hard) God bless you! Work hard! Ora pro nobis!

Longstreet

Well, the story is the answer to question posed in your title. The answer- about 11 miles of Highway 150. TAC is 11 miles outside Ojai. I had started a company and was working a job as a wine steward in Ojai, which in hindsight is very bad idea when trying to survive one of the harder academic programs in the country. I had found GTD, read it, and had began applying it. I had even bought a "Next Action Hero" hat! One day I walked up to wait on a table and recognized David. I said, "Hey! You're David Allen! Sir, you saved my life." and shook his hand. I found out later I was the first person after the book came out to randomly recognize David in public. Over the course of that meal I answered all of David and Kathryn's questions and arrangements were made to get them some of my Northern Italian style espresso blend. They gave me some free coaching and started by coffee from me for the office. The relationship grew, I went to conferences etc, and Kathryn and her sister came to my TAC graduation. They were just very kind people and took a great and generous interest in me. I would deliver coffee to their house and play with the dog. That would sometimes turn into dinner, wine, or bocce in the backyard. I've just begun your paper, but if you do what you say, I've actually had that conversation with David about his work. I haven't seen them forever since they left Ojai and moved to Europe. It's nice to see another Catholic thinker engaging his work, even if it's at the second best Catholic school in America. LOL. (rivalries die hard) God bless you! Work hard! Ora pro nobis!
And as a Catholic professor, I loved your story! Cheers! :D

andyphickman

Registered
Wow, Andrew that is a crazy story! I can't believe they attended your graduation! I'd love to hear more about the conversation you've had with David along the same lines of this paper and what his response was. I would also love your feedback on the paper itself once you finish reading it.

Longstreet, where do you teach?

Longstreet

Wow, Andrew that is a crazy story! I can't believe they attended your graduation! I'd love to hear more about the conversation you've had with David along the same lines of this paper and what his response was. I would also love your feedback on the paper itself once you finish reading it.

Longstreet, where do you teach?
It is shown below my icon. I am a professor at the University of Iowa.

andyphickman

Registered
Just wanted to post an update here and let you know that @John Forrister and I recorded an interview on the paper, which is now available in the Connect Forums, just fyi.

If this paper ever made its way from your someday/maybe to next actions lists, and then was read, I would be happy to hear your thoughts and feedback on it.