Putting together a trusted system

Tombo

Registered
I need help I have never been able to put together a trusted system. Paper, digital or hybrid?
I look online and I am overwhelmed, initiating this process seems daunting. Does anyone have resources or an easy to follow set up? Something that I would be able to ease myself into?
Thanks,
Tombo

Tombo

Registered
Hi Longstreet,
Thanks for the help do you use paper too?
Also I just checked and Nirvana doesn’t come up on my chrome book. I have Wunderlist now but will check out your post and separate my work and personal systems. Thanks again

Jim

GTD Ninja
The first question is to ask yourself what makes a trusted system. Depending on one's standards, beliefs and experiences, anything can be trusted (which is probably why you feel overwhelmed with all of the options and opinions out there).

What is important to you? Pen and paper are great (no crashes/fast boot up/no batteries to keep charged/low start up costs), but they are harder to "back up."

Apps are plentiful. Which operating system(s) are you on? Your chosen platform will affect your choice.

Are you always online? If not, web apps would be right out.

I use a Mac, an iPhone and an iPad. I chose TaskPaper, as it makes me feel like a captain and commander. My lists are in a plain text file (syncs and back ups are almost instantaneous), so in the unlikely event that TaskPaper's developer ever moves on, my system will not miss a beat.

If you are overwhelmed with the myriad options, I'd suggest starting with pen and paper. They have stood the test of time. There is something serene about sitting down with tactile tools in hand, disconnected from the 'net and notifications.

If you give pen and paper a solid try, and find that they don't work for you—your time will have been well spent. You will know the core of GTD and what parameters to look for in an app.

To minimize your overwhelm, take a look at the setup guides that the David Allen co. offers. Pick the one that meets your needs and that feels right (listen to your gut instinct). Then buy it and embrace the instructions.

Tombo

Registered
Thanks Lecter,
Great guidance, yes, I was going to add that I need cross platform I use Mac and pc at work plus chrome books I carry an iPhone have an I pad and will probably buy an imac so a ubiquitous system would be great if there is one. The reason digital appeals to me is because I always have my phone on me. Having said that maybe paper is the way to go. I guess I will have to play around with some things which I guess is why I’m getting stuck because the initiation seems overwhelming.
Thanks again

Jim

GTD Ninja
Sorry for the misfire, that was supposed to be gtd ninja.
I think we should come up with a phrase like Freudian autocorrect! :)

It isn't an official title. The forum software allows you to enter your own—and the phrase GTD Ninja came to mind and made me smile. So I entered it, figuring it might make others smile as well.

MellowEnchant

Registered
Hi, again Tombo. I think you just have to try out many different tools. I have started as well with pen and paper. But pretty fast I made the switch over to Evernote. I've tried many different other tools (and I will try even more - atm. checking out Nirvana and Taskpaper, thx for the recommendations), but for me, Evernote is my number one system. I love how its perfect for reference and ok for task management.

Handling multiple programmes is too time-consuming for me. However, this can change in the future. I think GTD is all about staying flexible and constantly improving your system/trying new options.

Tombo

Registered
Hi, again Tombo. I think you just have to try out many different tools. I have started as well with pen and paper. But pretty fast I made the switch over to Evernote. I've tried many different other tools (and I will try even more - atm. checking out Nirvana and Taskpaper, thx for the recommendations), but for me, Evernote is my number one system. I love how its perfect for reference and ok for task management.

Handling multiple programmes is too time-consuming for me. However, this can change in the future. I think GTD is all about staying flexible and constantly improving your system/trying new options.

Tombo

Registered
I agree I have a rough pen paper system now which helps lock it in to my brain but at the same time I’m set up in Wunderlist and iOS reminders keeping things current in digital it’s benefits are it’s is always on hand and quicker so I will probably abandon pen and paper. I will look into Evernote I have it but just use it as a reference catch basin.