GTD and Evernote: moving from Projects to Actions

Ian Matthews

Registered
Hi. I am trying to set up a Getting Things Done system using Evernote (setting up on my Mac) and I am getting unstuck on one aspect.

If I create a note for a project then list all the things that need to be done for that project in that note, it seems that I need to manually duplicate the entry of all those things into the relevant context notebook (e.g. calls, waiting for etc). This seems to double up the amount of time I spend noting down all the steps of a project - am I missing something?

Thanks so much for your help!

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hi there. Yes, if you are listing out all of the next actions in the note field (typically called project notes/plans/future actions), then you will need to copy those over to the relevant Notebook/List when they become current next actions. Given Evernote is not a traditional list manager, it's clunkier than most with the flow of this. We talk about some ways to manage all of that in the Evernote Guides.

vino

Registered
Hi Ian,
I have faced the simialr issue as well. I do create separate notes for each point in the project, then use tags for each note. It is easier to search and group tasks using the tags.