Organizing excerpts

Tom.9

Registered
Sometimes I read an interesting post here and I print it on paper. Or I read the GTD book for the umpteenth time and find some phrases and write them on paper.
Now I have a bunch of excerpts which I´d like to consider doing my weekly review, but in some way it seems not helping. Too much information at one time maybe? Distracting from processing my inbox.
Has anybody some suggestions on that?

mcogilvie

Registered
I’ve considered a special tickler system which delivers quotes at different intervals. Basically you repeat each quote starting on some random day with a repeat interval depending on how much you like the quote. It’s pretty easy to implement in something like Omnifocus or Things. Not sure if it’s worth it for me, but it might work for you.

Oogiem

Registered
Sometimes I read an interesting post here and I print it on paper. Or I read the GTD book for the umpteenth time and find some phrases and write them on paper.
Now I have a bunch of excerpts which I´d like to consider doing my weekly review, but in some way it seems not helping. Too much information at one time maybe? Distracting from processing my inbox.
I am electronic based but I have a lot of those things in folders in my DEVONThink database. I have an acion set to remind me to go pick one at random and read it every couple of days. I use tht for humarous items, trivia and just naythign that captures my attention. If the items are really part of how I want to change my weekly review I just put them into the note part of the actions they relate to in my weekly review project that repeats every Friday.

Gardener

Registered

If I wanted to do this, I would probably:

- Create a Scrivener project for the excerpts. (I say Scrivener, you might use any one of the software packages that are suitable for storing lots of small pieces of text.)
- Drop the excerpts there whenever I find them.
- Create a "keep up with excerpt reading" project that tells me to...read ten of them and put them in the Read folder? Read all of those that have piled up since last time? Something of that sort?

So I wouldn't do them during the Weekly review--I'd make an ongoing project of them. If I dumped some of them in my Inbox, then during my weekly review I'd do no more than move them from my inbox to my Scrivener project.

David Parker

GTD Connect
I noticed that you said you collected these items on paper. Do you have a scanner or a scanner app on your phone?

Like Oogiem, I use DEVONthink. I scan in hard copy items using a Fujitsu ScanSnap ix500 into DEVONthink's Global Inbox from which they get processed into my system.