Forced to use Office 365 apps - need a bit of help

Ian Matthews

Registered
After deciding to get back on the GTD wagon recently I opted to use Evernote (after finding that OneNote for the Mac doesn't allow custom tags). However, I've been informed by our IT support that Evernote isn't an authorised application and my choice is limited to Outlook, Microsoft Planner and Microsoft Todo.

I tried using Outlook before and found it clunky and not very mobile-friendly on my other devices. So are there any guides to setting up a GTD system using either Planner or Todo? A search online left me a bit confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PlunkRock

Registered
Things used to be pretty grim on mobile when using Outlook for your system, but it is a bit better now with Microsoft To-Do. To-Do will sync with your Outlook Tasks and has apps available on both iOS and Android.

The latest Outlook setup guide incorporates Microsoft To-Do.

Ian Matthews

Registered
Things used to be pretty grim on mobile when using Outlook for your system, but it is a bit better now with Microsoft To-Do. To-Do will sync with your Outlook Tasks and has apps available on both iOS and Android.

The latest Outlook setup guide incorporates Microsoft To-Do.

Thanks for the response! I downloaded the sample for the 'Outlook for Mac 2011/2016 Setup Guide' and it didn't seem to mention Microsfot To-Do in the contents page. Do you know if it has updated since the sample was posted online?

PlunkRock

Registered
I don't think To-Do is mentioned explicitly in the contents, but the way it suggests working means your lists will simply appear as expected, once you log in to the To-Do app.

If you have O365, you can actually test this out using the web interface, the app will pretty much just do the same thing.

Ian Matthews

Registered
I don't think To-Do is mentioned explicitly in the contents, but the way it suggests working means your lists will simply appear as expected, once you log in to the To-Do app.

If you have O365, you can actually test this out using the web interface, the app will pretty much just do the same thing.

You're correct, it does! That gives me some hope. I'll purchase the Outlook guide and work through it. Thanks for your help - really appreciated.

David Parker

GTD Connect
I'm not sure if this will help, but as Microsoft To Do is based on (and slowly moving towards replacing) Wunderlist, you may find the GTD Setup Guide for Wunderlist useful . . .

clango

Registered
I’m limited as you are by IT.
So that I use Nirvana GTD), Xmind (Process) and Google Drive( Reference). I can access the files via web or via mobile. And I open the same file wherever I am.

John Ismyname

Registered
Hello Ian; Ms-Outlook is a robust platform to run GTD on. I tried Microsoft ToDo but it either did not synchronize well with Outlook or didn't synch at all. I make extensive use of Outlook's task features that do not translate well to a 3rd party device. My solution to portability of GTD is to run Outlook on a laptop.

AFG

Registered
After deciding to get back on the GTD wagon recently I opted to use Evernote (after finding that OneNote for the Mac doesn't allow custom tags). However, I've been informed by our IT support that Evernote isn't an authorised application and my choice is limited to Outlook, Microsoft Planner and Microsoft Todo.

I tried using Outlook before and found it clunky and not very mobile-friendly on my other devices. So are there any guides to setting up a GTD system using either Planner or Todo? A search online left me a bit confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am in a similar boat, but I am plodding forward with OneNote.

I am currently using OneNote 2016 on a Windows PC, so I have custom tags - but I don't use them, much, in large part because iPhone OneNote lacks them.

Overall, I am using text annotations like #topic, and using text search. Perhaps not as sexy as tags, but considerably more extensible.

rodxmas

Registered
Sorry to be late to the discussion. I am in the same situation at work. I have never been able to get Outlook to really function for me as list manager. I started using todoist 4 years ago as my list manager and it bridges together nicely with Outlook as my email and calendar, OneNote for planning, notes and project support and windows file system as my document reference system.

John Ismyname

Registered
The best way to use Outlook (and many other aps) as a list manager is the Contacts Module. Simply create a new contact. In the "Full Name..." field, type "@" followed by your list name with no space in between i.e., @Errands. The "Notes" field holds the actual contents of your list. With an ASCII sort, your @ lists will be alpha sorted at the top of your contacts directory. This can be synced to your smartphone.

You can link Outlook contacts (such as your @ lists) to Outlook tasks and appointments. For example, I have my @Saturday list of chores around my house to do on the weekend set up as a re-occurring Outlook task. This tasks links to my @Saturday list in my Outlook contacts.