Outlook vs OneNote - Privacy

Felipe

Registered
Hello everyone,

First, sorry for the language mistakes.

I'm implementing GTD and I chose Outlook and OneNote as tools. I bought the specific guides for these tools.

As I use Outlook at work, it seems that this tool fits me best. I started using OneNote just for Reference and Project Support material (and to brainstorm possible future projects actions).

I had no problem implementing GTD to the professional stuff, but it got harder to me when I started the personal stuff. And the problem is - I dont want to input all my personal tasks into Outlook. I don't mind to input some particular personal tasks, but there are some of them that I don't feel confortable to input into Outlook (even with the "private" configuration).

So I had two options: First, stop using Outlook for managing tasks. Second, use both tools for tasks (OneNote for Personal life and Outlook for Professional life). I know David Allen doesn't recommend this type of split/division between personal and professional, but it really fits to my day-to-day life.

I discarded the first option. I can't handle professional tasks without Outlook (ex: create tasks from emails).

So I'm trying the second option. I'll use OneNote for all personal stuff and for professional reference and support material. I could even send some non-private personal tasks to Outlook. And I'll use Outlook to manage all professional tasks. Some of them will born at OneNote (project brainstorm of future actions) while other will born and die at Outlook.

I know it sounds messy, because I'll have some actions in both tools, while others actions in just one tool (ex: professional tasks from email just in Outlook). But my key principle is: I can trust that my system will gather ALL personal information at OneNote and ALL professional tasks at Outlook, even if I have some intersection between them.

Please help me. I really don't know if I'm trying the right thing. Do you think it works ?

Last edited:

TesTeq

Registered
And the problem is - I dont want to input all my personal tasks into Outlook. I don't mind to input some particular personal tasks, but there are some of them that I don't feel confortable to input into Outlook (even with the "private" configuration).
As far as I understand it is not the "Outlook problem" but the "tool ownership problem". I think you wouldn't mind to use Outlook for GTD on your own computer with your own separate instance of Outlook.
My general rule is:
Never keep your private info on a computer that is owned by someone else.
So I always had two GTD systems when I was an employee.

AFG

Registered
Never keep your private info on a computer that is owned by someone else.
So I always had two GTD systems when I was an employee.

Amen.

Although my reaction is BYOD - Bring Your (My) Own Device. I prefer to use a PC that I own for both work and personal, taking care to save work stuff to a company owned cloud drive.

One of the problems with separate devices for work and home is when an item crosses the boundary. For example, I'm often coding at work, when I realize that I have come up with an idiom, a HOWTO, that I want to keep on my personal/professional reference material. Or, I am at home reading my professional journals, when I realize that an article is relevant to a work project.

Back when I kept two separate devices I was constantly forwarding stuff from one to the other by email. Which is a hassle, high touch, lots of friction.

It is much nicer to be able to simply move between work and personal as needed. Indeed, I often create links between them.

But I must be paranoid about cross-pollution.

E.g. twice I have switched jobs between companies that are competitors - Intel <-> AMD. Of necessity, since I occasionally had to review Intel patents while I was working for AMD, I went to the 2 device model. But, now that I don't have much of such old stuff around, it is just plain easier to share.

I sometimes wonder about two devices, but cross-mounting cloud filesystem Inbox directories for Personal and Work. Less hassle than emailing to transfer. But still not as convenient as just being able to put it directly away.

aderoy

Registered
What happens when you have an work environment that does not allow for USB thumb drive (USB for charging, data is blocked at BIOS), BYOD or limited/no access to DropBox, Evernote or unable to install software for your 'home' life? Heck even personal cell phones had to be secured in a locker outside the cubicle farm (no RF, pictures or access to personal e-mail).

Was finally able to get approval for FreePlane Mindmapping application to be installed on work machine. Helps to see the 'big picture', and handle procedures, reference documents across a few hundred documents (thousands of pages) required for normal day to day function.

For me the only way was to be paper based for the non-work related / approved software. Time/Design or TimeManager Agendas work rather well in keeping actions/projects on the go. Yes the pages are spot checked at random...

So basically business and personal are separate, not every employer is open.