How do you handle your completed

arsenal8598

Registered
I'm stuck on what to do with my "completed tasks." This seems like it shouldn't be this tricky, but I don't like deleting forever the items I've checked off. I have this nagging sensation that I should be closing the loop somehow during a weekly review where I relate them back to their respective project outlines. Problem is that the items and the project lists are too long, and I can't seem to find the time to get that loop closed.

How do you handle your completed tasks? Do you just delete them or do you file them? If so, what mechanisms do you use? I use Evernote for my project outlines and all reference materials but Toodledo for the Next Actions lists where folders in Toodledo match my tags in Evernote.

aderoy

Registered
Depends if you are using paper (analog) or computer.

With computer most applications will allow for archiving the 'done' tasks. In EMACS orgmode I will archive completed every month to an yearly archive file. Since my work is federal mandated in regards to documentation deleting is not a good thing. This will keep tags/projects in place. Helps with yearly review and documentation.

When I used EccoPro or Time and Chaos as main applications it was easy to move by search to an archive also.

As for paper when I used Time/Design or Franklin planners moved completed task sheets to the archive binder by year. Time/Design (or Time Manager) planners seem to be the best in regards to having well designed task and/or project sheets that can be GTD compliant imho.

So the short answer is yes I archive completed items into a yearly file, with very seldom Project file/folder.

RS356

Registered
As for paper when I used Time/Design or Franklin planners moved completed task sheets to the archive binder by year. Time/Design (or Time Manager) planners seem to be the best in regards to having well designed task and/or project sheets that can be GTD compliant imho.

I archive my paper system by year as well. Calendar pages, completed GTD lists, and projects are all archived the yearly binder. I very rarely need to reference these, but it is good to know that the work is all in one specific location.