Gtd support group

Tombo

Registered
inwas wondering if there was such a thing as a gtd support group? Meaning for newbies and practitioners to check in daily and discuss all things gtd? This forum is great but I was thinking something dedicated to specific group almost like an accountability group they have for weight watchers or exercise programs? If it does not exist is any one interested in participating?

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
inwas wondering if there was such a thing as a gtd support group? Meaning for newbies and practitioners to check in daily and discuss all things gtd? This forum is great but I was thinking something dedicated to specific group almost like an accountability group they have for weight watchers or exercise programs? If it does not exist is any one interested in participating?
I would be glad to participate and help! :D

David Parker

GTD Connect
This forum provides support for all GTD practitioners, newbies included. Posts are regularly monitored by David Allen's GTD coaches and experienced practitioners (like Longstreet) regularly respond to those asking for help and advice.

You could also look at the GTD Study Group http://www.gtdvsg.com who hold regular sessions on key GTD topics.

In the meantime, if you have any questions, ask away . . . .

David

Jackie Roemer

Registered
This forum provides support for all GTD practitioners, newbies included. Posts are regularly monitored by David Allen's GTD coaches and experienced practitioners (like Longstreet) regularly respond to those asking for help and advice.

You could also look at the GTD Study Group http://www.gtdvsg.com who hold regular sessions on key GTD topics.

David
I have read the book 3 times since 2013 and recently listened "slowly" to the audio book, applying (finally) each suggestion to my own situation. I now see I have way over 50 projects. That's okay. Now comes the checking in with someone. Does it sound reasonable to make up 50 folders with Project Headings. In there goes Planning and spontaneous lists of various steps that might come up. Still chaos in that folder. Then, I decide on next step for Each Project and put it on my @context List. Question 1}: How do I physically move through my day with these paper lists? I use Wunderlist which is great, but, I find paper less distracting for people I'm working with. I already carry a backpack with my Capture notebook,(which I make myself, 5X8 spirals at Kinko.) Do people use a small binder? Levenger paper (I love) does NOT work because I can't scan it. Bummer REAL Bummer. Question 2} When I put a unique Project action on a @context List, such as Computer, do I Name it Project Action? Because otherwise it gets Lost, being crossed out, and I can't remember if it's a project or not.

Jackie Roemer

Registered

David
I asked a question, and I'm new (again) and I hope I get an email if there's an answer? So sorry, I'm already confused how to make sure I see an answer if it's posted.

Jackie Roemer

Registered
I'm in Tucson. It sure would be nice if there were a group of people listed in cities where we could all get together and chat about this. I've really done my homework with GTD. slowly like Tortoise. That's what was needed. Let me know if there are any tucson groups or if we could start one here. thank you.

David Parker

GTD Connect
I have read the book 3 times since 2013 and recently listened "slowly" to the audio book, applying (finally) each suggestion to my own situation. I now see I have way over 50 projects. That's okay. Now comes the checking in with someone. Does it sound reasonable to make up 50 folders with Project Headings. In there goes Planning and spontaneous lists of various steps that might come up. Still chaos in that folder. Then, I decide on next step for Each Project and put it on my @context List. Question 1}: How do I physically move through my day with these paper lists? I use Wunderlist which is great, but, I find paper less distracting for people I'm working with. I already carry a backpack with my Capture notebook,(which I make myself, 5X8 spirals at Kinko.) Do people use a small binder? Levenger paper (I love) does NOT work because I can't scan it. Bummer REAL Bummer. Question 2} When I put a unique Project action on a @context List, such as Computer, do I Name it Project Action? Because otherwise it gets Lost, being crossed out, and I can't remember if it's a project or not.
I think you're creating a problem for yourself by operating a paper system and a digital (Wunderlist) system at the same time. Unless you're prepared for the overhead of keeping both systems in sync then you'll struggle to trust either system as you'll never know if it's up to date.

Unless you've a lot of material for each project, a folder for each seems overkill. Again, operating the system will become too much of a chore. What about one sheet per project in a project support folder, or just a page in a notebook or a binder which you can keep your context lists in too?

Yes, it's a good idea to note the name of the project against the next action on the context list.

David

David Parker

GTD Connect
I'm in Tucson. It sure would be nice if there were a group of people listed in cities where we could all get together and chat about this. I've really done my homework with GTD. slowly like Tortoise. That's what was needed. Let me know if there are any tucson groups or if we could start one here. thank you.
I think if you can get together with some other GTD users and see how their systems work for them then you'd understand better how to make yours work for you.

It's sometimes difficult for those of us who've been using GTD for years how difficult it can be to set up your system in a way that works for you.

That's the key. A system that works for you, even when you're sick in bed with the 'flu. If it's not as simple as possible (but no simpler) then it's not a good system.

David

Jackie Roemer

Registered
I think if you can get together with some other GTD users and see how their systems work for them then you'd understand better how to make yours work for you.

It's sometimes difficult for those of us who've been using GTD for years how difficult it can be to set up your system in a way that works for you.

That's the key. A system that works for you, even when you're sick in bed with the 'flu. If it's not as simple as possible (but no simpler) then it's not a good system.

David
Hi David and thanks in advance: I want to carry my lists around with me. I have a special capture notebook, but found trying to write lists in there is confusing because the lists change rapidly. The capture material is actually a record of my life I want to keep clean of clutter. What various ways to people carry around these lists? I actually find Wunderlist easy to update and print off. It's something I feel I "can" cope with. I carry a backpack so I'm keeping the pages of lists in there, carry around. But, I just know there are other ways. It's helpful to hear how others are doing this. A paper list is great because I can grab a pen and add something quick. without even entering in my capture notebook. Do people put lists on their phone? If so, where?

Jackie Roemer

Registered
I think you're creating a problem for yourself by operating a paper system and a digital (Wunderlist) system at the same time. Unless you're prepared for the overhead of keeping both systems in sync then you'll struggle to trust either system as you'll never know if it's up to date.

Unless you've a lot of material for each project, a folder for each seems overkill. Again, operating the system will become too much of a chore. What about one sheet per project in a project support folder, or just a page in a notebook or a binder which you can keep your context lists in too?

Yes, it's a good idea to note the name of the project against the next action on the context list.

David
Hi again. Can I check out for approval and comment...something I'm doing? I'm using a project folder for each project to quickly "dump" a few paper into, thinking during my project review of each, it will trigger something I need to deal with. It feels right for now but I anticipate something might get too bulky, so I'll then shift it to another box with it's own bigger space. The first folder in my main project box has the list of all projects going on. I've yet to do this project review reading this list, because so far, I got all the projects down. I'm working on honing my own system....but....I see people really tailor eventually. I sometimes wonder if I'm making too big a deal of work, projects, home, grandkids, my teaching, study assignments, local politics etc. I'm really active. This system is a Holy Lifesaver. It does take time. But the alternative is a NightMare. I'm thinking of your comment: Digital and paper. Yes, I'm syncing without problem David, thank you so so much for your patience with how I write...I ramble.

Jackie Roemer

Registered

David
Is there some way of finding other GTD people in Tucson?

Jackie Roemer

Registered

David
I've watched many videos in the past. I usually have specific questions so I'm glad this exists. I was a paying member and attended webinars. I see now how much I've grown with this. I'm remembering I can (without joining again and paying) find topics to watch?

Jackie Roemer

Registered
I have an iPhone. I put material relevant to my personal GTD system in OmniFocus, Reminders, Scrivener, and I'm trying Evernote. And the calendar, of course.

Material for work is stuck on my work laptop.
Do you ever print out on paper, things from those lists and carry them around with you? Or end up using file cards? If so, what is that like longterm thanks so much....jackie

Gardener

Registered
Do you ever print out on paper, things from those lists and carry them around with you? Or end up using file cards? If so, what is that like longterm thanks so much....jackie

No--I pretty much never go from digital to paper, only the other direction.

To clarify--all of those things are on my iPhone, so I can carry them with me that way.

Oogiem

Registered
I want to carry my lists around with me. I have a special capture notebook, but found trying to write lists in there is confusing because the lists change rapidly. The capture material is actually a record of my life I want to keep clean of clutter. What various ways to people carry around these lists? I actually find Wunderlist easy to update and print off. It's something I feel I "can" cope with. I carry a backpack so I'm keeping the pages of lists in there, carry around. But, I just know there are other ways. It's helpful to hear how others are doing this. A paper list is great because I can grab a pen and add something quick. without even entering in my capture notebook. Do people put lists on their phone? If so, where?

I'm still confused about your system. For me capture of new ideas and things happens primarily on paper with a notebook I carry with my all the time in my own version of the Notetaker wallet.

Then I process those items by either adding them to reference material if they are not actionable, adding them to one of my many someday/maybe lists or adding them to a project as either [project support material or action items. Nearly all of those are digital, my reference and project support material is typically in DEVONThink. My action lists ordered by context are in Omnifocus. I use my phone to refer to my action lists and check things off when I am done. For me paper is a capture only then it goes digital. I can't think of a time I'f printed out my digital lists unless I had to hand one to someone else, like a list of things for my husband. Even my shopping lists are entirely digital and never go on paper.

The last part is actually doing. I refer to the context in which I am located or the tools I have at hand and work from my phone list of actions.