Android Podcast App for Connect

Geeko

GTD since 2017
I used Podcast Addict. It worked quite well with connect. You should be able to find it in the App store. Since I plan to switch to LineageOS, I will see if I can find an open source alternative.

Cheers,
Tristan

ERJ1

Jedi Master
I use Podcast Addict, but it really really sucks compared to Pocket Casts :( Was hoping someone would've figured out how to make Pocket Casts work. Shoot, or even Spotify could be cool.

The members only podcast was a huge selling point for me and I wish it worked better on other apps!

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hi Rod, the last one I tested was Beyond Pod, and it worked fine.

This is how I replied a few days ago by email to ERJ1 (whose helpful reply is just above this):
Any podcast app that supports authentication (user name and password) should work to subscribe to the GTD Connect members-only podcast. While the GTD Connect site will let you log in with either your user name or your email address in the user name field, the podcast authentication requires your official user name.

I don't have an Android handy to document the exact steps, but in theory it goes like this. You tap on whatever lets you enter a URL to subscribe to a specific podcast. The URL to enter is: https://gtdconnect.com/podcast.php
After you enter that URL and tap Next, Done, Login, or equivalent, the app should ask you for the user name and password.

Good luck with that. Tell me if you run into any snags.

There are so many great podcast apps available, and it seems that support for authentication is not always high on their priority list.

Last edited:

Geeko

GTD since 2017
I use Podcast Addict, but it really really sucks compared to Pocket Casts :( Was hoping someone would've figured out how to make Pocket Casts work. Shoot, or even Spotify could be cool.

The members only podcast was a huge selling point for me and I wish it worked better on other apps!

What features are you exactly looking for? I will have to look for a new podcast app myself. Maybe I can find something that fits your needs as well.

Cheers,
Tristan

ERJ1

Jedi Master
What features are you exactly looking for? I will have to look for a new podcast app myself. Maybe I can find something that fits your needs as well.

Cheers,
Tristan
Hi! There's no particular features beyond a clean UI and the ability to access the GTD podcast. Podcast Addict is just really ugly and clunky to use. Pocket Casts I'd top notch in terms of great UI and ease of use.

Let me know what you find!

Geeko

GTD since 2017
Hi! There's no particular features beyond a clean UI and the ability to access the GTD podcast. Podcast Addict is just really ugly and clunky to use. Pocket Casts I'd top notch in terms of great UI and ease of use.

Let me know what you find!

I just had a look at AntennaPod, which is an open source podcast manager. It works with connect and should be worth a try :)
At least it could replay the recording of the last webinar ;) Maybe you could have a look.

Cheers,
Tristan

ERJ1

Jedi Master
I just had a look at AntennaPod, which is an open source podcast manager. It works with connect and should be worth a try :)
At least it could replay the recording of the last webinar ;) Maybe you could have a look.

Cheers,
Tristan
Thanks for sharing! Huge fan of open source stuff. I'll check it out.

sholden

Registered
I got Pocket Addict to use the custom GTD php and logged in with my credentials but it doesn't display any podcasts. I'm still troubleshooting but if there are any tips please let me know.

Rostane

Registered
Same here, 'Podcast Addict' rocks.
I also lately discovered 'Anchor', looks good so far, we'll see.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I got Pocket Addict to use the custom GTD php and logged in with my credentials but it doesn't display any podcasts. I'm still troubleshooting but if there are any tips please let me know.
Hi Steve, if you're still having issues with the podcast, I have two ideas. One is to delete that subscriptions and add it again. Sometimes I've found that apps appear to accept credentials, but don't really authenticate, and don't display a useful fail message. The other idea is to make sure you are using your GTD Connect user name, which in your case is different than your email address.

sholden

Registered
@John Forrister I got it working once I upgraded to the paid version and walked through the developer's help guides. From my perspective the app is pretty powerful but not intuitive until you understand the overall user interface concepts the developer has.

Geeko

GTD since 2017
@sholden I got stuck with AntennaPod. It has some very nice features like changing the playback speed up to 2x.
Maybe worth a try.

Cheers,
Tristan

TesTeq

Registered
@sholden I got stuck with AntennaPod. It has some very nice features like changing the playback speed up to 2x.
Maybe worth a try.

Cheers,
Tristan
On iPhone I use Overcast - 3x playback speed and even more with the Smart Speed silence remover (if you don't need to comprehend what a podcaster is saying). :D:D:D A status screen says that Smart Speed has already saved me 141 hours!