Apple updating Reminders in iOS13... adaptive contexts coming?

devon.marie

Registered
Is anyone else super excited to see what updates are coming to Reminders in iOS13? This screenshot in particular (attached) has me anxiously waiting for the July public beta.

pasted-graphic-1-png.391

The middle mockup seems to show it reminding you of tasks associated with a person while you are messaging them. This is exciting! It seems like the app's integration into iOS might finally give us some contexts that let you know of your tasks when they're relevant, beyond just location or date-based ones.

It seems the app will also support attachments and subtasks, which is exciting as well.

Attachments

• Pasted Graphic 1.png
    Pasted Graphic 1.png
    374.5 KB · Views: 392

mcogilvie

Registered
They announced that you would get “reminders” from Reminders in messages, but didn’t mention anything else. While I am happy to see Reminders get some attention, I’m not optimistic on integration of built-in apps. Mail still doesn’t have share sheets, although drag and drop gives a similar functionality on an iPad. If you look at Safari sharing to other built-in apps, it’s not done the same way 3rd parties have to use. IMHO, 3rd party software generally does a better, more consistent job of sharing data than Apple’s. But I am looking forward to seeing Reminders in iOS 13.

I am hoping that someday everything will be so integrated that I get notifications like: “Spouse approaching with 10 items to discuss with you.” ;)

Last edited:

TesTeq

Registered
I am hoping that someday everything will be so integrated that I get notifications like: “Spouse approaching with 10 items to discuss with you.” ;)
Sometimes I would prefer to discuss these 10 items with Reminders instead of my spouse. :D Maybe Apple should go in this direction... ;)

MichaelB212

Registered
Here’s a link to a solid preview of the updated app by Keep Productive on YouTube. Sounds like it will solve some of the limitations of the current Reminders app while keeping it simple and clean enough for those who do not need or want a super robust app. I’ll definitely try it out but not sure if it’ll ultimately replace Things 3 for me.

David Parker

GTD Connect
I'll be checking out iOS 13 Reminders as soon as it's available as I've used it in the past as a GTD list manager.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I can’t say I’m “super excited,” but I’m always interested in new options and I appreciate you bringing this to our attention (I’m an iOS user but I don’t follow news about new developments very closely).

sesteph6

Registered
I have to tell you, the I learned that DA was STILL using Lotus notes for list management, I hopped off the App quest. I have been using reminders as a straight up list manager, and I love it. The new love being shown Reminders is exciting for me.... as long as they don't over complicate. I used Wunderlist forever, then when MSFT purchased I went on some sort of weird List manager spirit Quest. I be I spent a thousand dollars on apps. I tried Evernote, Nirvana, doit.im, Todoist, Omnifocus, Nozbe, Things, Microsoft todo, any.do, tick tick, outlook tasks.... Nothing replaced my beloved Wunderlist. Every system had some sort of weird nuance. I was about to give up and go to a paper based system. The simplicity of Reminders, and the ability to implement a strict, orthodox GTD system was all I needed. As long as Apple does not screw that up... Ill be a happy man.

devon.marie

Registered
I have to tell you, the I learned that DA was STILL using Lotus notes for list management, I hopped off the App quest. I have been using reminders as a straight up list manager, and I love it. The new love being shown Reminders is exciting for me.... as long as they don't over complicate. I used Wunderlist forever, then when MSFT purchased I went on some sort of weird List manager spirit Quest. I be I spent a thousand dollars on apps. I tried Evernote, Nirvana, doit.im, Todoist, Omnifocus, Nozbe, Things, Microsoft todo, any.do, tick tick, outlook tasks.... Nothing replaced my beloved Wunderlist. Every system had some sort of weird nuance. I was about to give up and go to a paper based system. The simplicity of Reminders, and the ability to implement a strict, orthodox GTD system was all I needed. As long as Apple does not screw that up... Ill be a happy man.

I resonate with this comment a lot, haha. I find that my tendency, when I notice something off with my system, is to just try new apps in the hopes they'll fix what is essentially my organizational or methodology problem. And usually my issue is doing a good weekly review. Ha! And yet, I keep hopping app to app.

I love Reminders, though. Its integration into iOS makes it much more valuable than other todo apps, in my opinion. Just the fact that tasks stay on the lock screen until you deal with them (versus disappearing once you unlock your device) is golden. I use Trello for work and love it to death, but it's a bit much for my personal use. At home, I just need a dead-simple list manager, and Reminders does the trick.

I've been testing the app in the iOS beta (which I bitterly regret - it's the buggiest one I've ever experienced) and it's pretty good. Glitchy, but they'll work those kinks out. Are other apps smoother in some regards? Absolutely. But the functionality is there, and the ease of use with iOS and Siri is worth a few extra taps, in my use case.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I find that my tendency, when I notice something off with my system, is to just try new apps in the hopes they'll fix what is essentially my organizational or methodology problem.

I have never, ever in my life done anything remotely like that. Not ever.

(Disclaimer: I am full of [expletive].)

mcogilvie

Registered
I resonate with this comment a lot, haha. I find that my tendency, when I notice something off with my system, is to just try new apps in the hopes they'll fix what is essentially my organizational or methodology problem. And usually my issue is doing a good weekly review. Ha! And yet, I keep hopping app to app.

I have never heard of such a thing either. I would certainly never do that!
[I am also lying through my teeth. I’ve done it more times than I can count.]

bcmyers2112

Registered
I have never heard of such a thing either. I would certainly never do that!
[I am also lying through my teeth. I’ve done it more times than I can count.]

I've done it a thousand million billion times. Which is also literally the exact number of times I've been told to stop exaggerating.

LOL, app hopping is something I do far too much of but I'm always happy to read that I'm not alone. I've tried them almost all and it is often the quirks in each one that keeps me hopping. I probably should write my own but don't really have those skills. Actually, it isn't really that; it's more me needing to accept that it is not about apps but about consistent methodology.

My system had become far too complicated and bloated (thanks to my tinkering). Leo Babauta's Zen-To-Done really resonated with me and I decided to reboot my system and simplify, simplify ..... Ditched Nozbe; ditched Todoist (not because they are bad apps; I just want a completed different approach for myself).

I have a strong visual side to me (odd for an accountant, perhaps, but hey ...) and decided to give Trello a whirl, thanks, in part, to some of Chirmer's fine writing here and elsewhere. Still sort of in the setup phase but actually really like it so far. Of course, then I read this fine piece the other day about setting GTD up even more simply in Workflowy. Wow, that looks cool and I feel the tug. And on it goes. But, I will be disciplined: Trello for now! All good :)

bcmyers2112

Registered
I have a strong visual side to me (odd for an accountant, perhaps, but hey ...) and decided to give Trello a whirl, thanks, in part, to some of Chirmer's fine writing here and elsewhere.

And that's the beauty of these forums: people are happy to help and it's a diverse enough group that you're likely to find the advice that's best suited for you.

And I agree that @chirmer is a really strong contributor. You won't go wrong listening to her.