The Value of Pruning - new from David Allen

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
David Allen wrote a short article on the value of pruning, with examples—and photos—from his own life.

I was talking to someone recently who has a lot of meetings. I'll send this to her, as maybe some of those meetings could be diplomatically pruned.

What areas in your life could benefit from some thoughtful, artful, trimming back? Perhaps even some small adjustments would yield big results.

TesTeq

Registered
What areas in your life could benefit from some thoughtful, artful, trimming back? Perhaps even some small adjustments would yield big results.
I'm getting rid of my paper books. It ain't easy so I created a "One book a day" Project. It helps but...
1. I have 50+ books about programming in C/C++, 50+ books about Linux, 20+ books about cryptography. Probably I will never use them again in my life but just in case I'd like to keep about 3 in each category. But which ones? :eek:
2. I have some books that I bought to read once and then give them away but I haven't read them up to now. So I take one of such books in my hands and I start to read it and my "One book a day" Project becomes very time-consuming. :(

Reactions: pwj

CJSullivan

Registered
I think it's time for me to ruthlessly prune my lists of any items that don't make me feel excited or at least neutral! Especially when it comes to Someday Maybe, there are items that have been on my lists for years--in some cases, decades--and they tend to drag me down rather than fire me up!

Oogiem

Registered
20+ books about cryptography
Before you just dump those can you send me a list of titles? My grandfather was a cryptographer and I collect cryptography books. I might like to buy a few of them depending on what they are and if I don't already have them in my collection.

Oogiem

Registered
We have been in pruning mode for the last couple of years.

Our sheep flock has gone from 65 ewes bred in the past to this year 36 and heading to between 21-24 for next year.
I've donated to the local library something over 600 books that were read once ones for me.
We've filled several dumpsters with old junk from off the farm and are working to fill another one right now.
The closet has been purged of clothes that either don't fit or that I don't like.
Lots of unused misc items have been donated to a local animal group for sale in their resale store.
I've streamlined my monthly filing by implementing more automation using Hazel to rename and file items I need to keep for tax reasons.
I've said no to many requests for my time and energy to focus on the things I consider important.
I'm working to train up some new people to take over jobs I am doing but want to step down from.

Pruning is a constant struggle especially for those of us for whom the physical things from our past, even if we no longer need or use them, hold many memories that we are afraid we might lose. I know that part of that is that my father had Alzheimer's and many times the only things that kept him aware and present were physically holding and touching things from the past so it's very hard for me to let those things go because they are talismans of memory.

Ger80C

Registered
Oh, pruning... a constant struggle, challenge and effort. I have put a "donate or throw away one book" task as an recurring item on my @home next action list, as well as "donate/get rid of one piece of clothing". My girlfriend is a librarian and I am always amazed of the utter effectiveness that librarians can exercise in getting rid (!) of books. The difference: They do this as part of their work, with less emotional attachment, and more practical means. I try to switch to "librarian mode" of I need to find the next book to donate or throw out. That helps a bit.

Other than that, I recommend using a move to a new house/flat to prune your physical items.

But what about virtual space? Do y'all prune your Evernote or other digital storage, for example?

Oogiem

Registered
But what about virtual space? Do y'all prune your Evernote or other digital storage, for example?
Yes, I do some deleting every quarterly review and more at year end.

Right now a lot of my projects are related to making sure that what I do keep is accessible and useful both now and into the future. That's why some of my top most important projects right now are the huge scanning/cataloging project of photographs, negatives and slides, the catalog of books we own and where they should go upon our demise (as a book collector I have a number that need to go to a specific place not just anywhere) and also why I am filling out certain collections so they are more complete and valuable as a resource in the future.

CJSullivan

Registered
But what about virtual space? Do y'all prune your Evernote or other digital storage, for example?[/QUOTE]

I’m currently working on pruning/re-organising my Evernote. I’m not using it effectively enough; it’s more of a dumping ground. This is a project in and if itself as I really want to find a taxonomy that will work for me.