Should projects always have a completion date?

Héctor

Registered
Hi all,

In GTD, projects are defined as outcomes with more than 1 next action associated, that should be complete within a year. Most of my projects doesn't have a specific deadline, and GTD recommends not to create fake dates, as your mind would stop trusting the overall system.

Do you have information or recommendations about this?

Best from Madrid,
Héctor

ERJ1

Jedi Master
There's absolutely no reason to set a fake deadline! It will just create unnecessary stress, especially if you break that commitment to yourself.

Besides, there's no greater feeling than looking over your projects and next actions with real deadlines and seeing nothing is due for a long time!

Oogiem

Registered
In GTD, projects are defined as outcomes with more than 1 next action associated, that should be complete within a year. Most of my projects doesn't have a specific deadline, and GTD recommends not to create fake dates, as your mind would stop trusting the overall system.
Keep in mind that projects in GTD can span longer periods than a year. To me the definition of project is "An outcome that you want to have happen that takes multiple steps." In farming many such things will span seasons, years and even lifetimes. So first off I'd put the notion that ALL projects have to be completed within a year aside. Sure, for most people in most industries with typical sets of projects that is probably correct but not always. The GTD methodology handles even the corner cases like mine.

To the second, do not put an artificial date in. That breeds distrust in your systems. If your projects go longer than a year then so be it.

TesTeq

Registered
If my Project does not have a specific deadline then it is a Someday/Maybe Project. My Active Projects have real deadlines.

Oogiem

Registered
If my Project does not have a specific deadline then it is a Someday/Maybe Project. My Active Projects have real deadlines.
Looking at my current project set, about 1/3 do not have any specific deadline.They have specific seasons where they can be worked on but the deadline is fluid.

For example, we have to rebuild a bridge over a canal. Right now the weather is good for construction so a high priority item is getting as much done on that project as we can. Once we start getting snow, all work will cease whether we are done or not. Some actions were/are dependent on outside factors over which I had no control, like getting pressure treated wood. It's on order but we do not have a date for delivery yet because the wood is still in the treatment process. We can't tear off the existing decking until we have the replacements and if the replacements do not come before we get snow all work will cease.

Another project is to install an oven in the Food Trailer we bought. No real deadline on that, it's going to happen when we can't do other work. I guess the only deadline is it needs to be installed before the first person who rents the trailer needs an oven. That's not looking like until sometime next year.