Projects - All in One Place or Multiple Lists?

Edward A

Registered
I am still working through getting started again!

I use Trello so I have one board that has all the lists. Not sure this is the way to go, but what I currently have.

For projects, I know there is an active list (CURRENT PROJECTS) and perhaps another list of NEXT PROJECTS.

What do I do with all (lots of them) the projects that are waiting in the wings?

I read that you put them on a someday/maybe list. However, that could be a huge list. I see the benefit that you just look through the list on review days and it's all in one place.

Or do you put them on specific lists associated with those projects. For instance, general lists like Home, Garden, etc. And specific lists like Create Game (which would have all the sub projects with in it).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

RS356

Registered
It's perfectly acceptable to have multiple someday/maybe lists to capture things you might like to do at home, in the garden, while on vacation. The important thing is that these lists are reviewed on some regular basis.

sholden

Registered
I break up my projects at work by roles and responsibilities. This breaks down the buckets into something that doesn't overwhelm me.

RS356

Registered
I break up my projects at work by roles and responsibilities. This breaks down the buckets into something that doesn't overwhelm me.

I’m doing this as well. It also helps me identify any gaps or projects to start during my reviews.

ivanjay205

Registered
I am still working through getting started again!

I use Trello so I have one board that has all the lists. Not sure this is the way to go, but what I currently have.

For projects, I know there is an active list (CURRENT PROJECTS) and perhaps another list of NEXT PROJECTS.

What do I do with all (lots of them) the projects that are waiting in the wings?

I read that you put them on a someday/maybe list. However, that could be a huge list. I see the benefit that you just look through the list on review days and it's all in one place.

Or do you put them on specific lists associated with those projects. For instance, general lists like Home, Garden, etc. And specific lists like Create Game (which would have all the sub projects with in it).

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I basically have a someday list which is my single thoughts. I also have a seperate project someday list which are fully planned out projects just waiting to be activated. I review each of these every Friday afternoon. based on what I completed during the week and how many I concurrently have running I measure my ability to move something into the active list. So I in essence each Friday review and prioritize those someday items and as they are important they move on in to the active stage.

It helps me from having 3,000 next actions that I would complete one step at a time and they woudl take forever to get done. I would rather make real progress on 20 projects and complete a few before starting another

Oogiem

Registered

I started with one huge list. When it got too big I started splitting it out into lists I could manage. For me that means fits on about 1 screen on my main computer in my someday/maybe tool which is DEVONThink. This process happened naturally as I added things and then when a list got unwieldy I'd split it. I ended up with lists sort of by area of focus, and some by location (red barn, shop, main house, little house) and some by type of task (books to read mystery, books to read thriller, books to read non-fiction) and so on. I now have 64 someday/maybe lists.

I do not review all of them every week. I can safely ignore the lists of books, or knitting projects until I finish what i am currently working on. Likewise I can usually ignore most outside location tasks until Spring. I make a point of reviewing all my Someday/maybe lists quarterly as I start to work on the plan for the next 3 months. I do these in depth reviews on the solstices and the equinoxes.