When one. . . .

gtdstudente

Registered
When one lives in a system saturated reality . . . . then the only rational response is also having systems to meet the challenge ?

If anyone knows of an comprehensive objective personal system superior to GTD as a base productivity system then in your goodness please do inform

Thank you very much

Yes. Mark Forster’s FV System.
@Mark R

Thank you for your reply

While the FV system most certainly has Mind Sweep merit, however, there are some initial concerns that do come to mind:

1. Review "Numbness"/Overwhelm ?

2. Needs pre-strategic capacity, via, @Contexts for next opportunity executions, aka, Next Actions ?

3. Without any mitigations, in terms of it being a 'Trusted System', if the Notebook ever gets lost, someone is going to have a very bad hair-day ?

Again, thank very much and perhaps there are a few pointers from the FV system to draw from that very well might enhance one's GTD system ?

Thank you very much

As you see GTD fit. . . .

Last edited:
Oh, that FV system looks really interesting.

I can see that it might replace "Choosing an action in the moment" but I don't see it replacing my whole GTD system.

What are your experiences using it?

When one lives in a system saturated reality . . . . then the only rational response is also having systems to meet the challenge ?

If anyone knows of an comprehensive objective personal system superior to GTD as a base productivity system then in your goodness please do inform

Thank you very much
I wouldn’t claim that the 12 Week Year (12WY) is better than GTD; instead, I find value in using both methodologies because they complement each other perfectly for me. While GTD excels at capturing and organizing all aspects of life and work, the 12 Week Year enhances focus on execution, ensuring that what I’m doing moves the needle.

The 12 Week Year, developed by Brian Moran and Michael Lennington, originated in the world of sports, where athletes often use 12-week training plans to achieve peak performance. The idea is to compress annual goals into a shorter, more urgent time frame, which creates a heightened focus on execution.

One of the key elements of 12WY is its strong emphasis on vision. It guides you through articulating both a life vision and a professional vision in a very structured way. Once those are clear, the system asks you to choose a maximum of 3 professional objectives and 2 personal development goals for each 12-week cycle. Under each of these goals, you develop what’s called a “Game Plan,” which consists of carefully defined tactics.

These 12WY tactics correspond to GTD’s next actions in a way, but there’s a distinct difference in approach. In 12WY, less is more. You’re encouraged to identify the most impactful tactics that offer the maximum return on investment. For example, in my case, I’ve limited myself to a maximum of 14 tactics per week in total (not per goal). This constraint forces me to focus only on the most effective actions rather than getting caught up in busy work.

Another crucial dimension that 12WY brings is the urgency to measure progress. For each of the 3 professional and 2 personal goals, you track one leading and one lagging indicator each week. This consistent tracking helps maintain momentum and ensures that I’m making measurable progress toward my goals. If you’re new to 12WY, I would recommend starting with just 1 professional goal and 1 personal development goal to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

In my experience, combining the structure of GTD with the execution focus of 12WY has been highly effective. GTD keeps me organized, while 12WY drives me to act on the most important things that align with my long-term vision. I’ve built a tool based on the 12WY framework to help streamline the process.

Again, the best system is the one that works for you, and for me, the combination of GTD and 12WY strikes the right balance between organization and action.

It seems to me that the words “objective” and “personal” are in conflict here,,and I think personal is more important. Similarly, “comprehensive” and “base” point in different directions. My personal system is based on GTD and seems comprehensive to me, but others might disagree on both points. I think David Allen described GTD as a a comprehensive approach rather than a comprehensive system.

People do mix in ideas from elsewhere into their systems. FV, for example, is an algorithm for working on lists, and from an Olympian perspective is not much different from sorting a list by date modified. Our lists matter to us, but the gods seem largely indifferent.

It seems to me that the words “objective” and “personal” are in conflict here,,and I think personal is more important. Similarly, “comprehensive” and “base” point in different directions. My personal system is based on GTD and seems comprehensive to me, but others might disagree on both points. I think David Allen described GTD as a a comprehensive approach rather than a comprehensive system.

People do mix in ideas from elsewhere into their systems. FV, for example, is an algorithm for working on lists, and from an Olympian perspective is not much different from sorting a list by date modified. Our lists matter to us, but the gods seem largely indifferent.
@mcogilvie

Thank you for your very good reply

Please forgive the insufficient clarity:

"Objective" as in general / universal . . . while "Personnel" as in particular / subjective

An "Objective Personal system" would mean anyone familiar with the system itself, in the is case GTD, would, more-or-less, clearly identify the strengths and weakness of a personal / particular / subjective GTD system prior to any necessary nuance clarification; if that makes any sense?

I wouldn’t claim that the 12 Week Year (12WY) is better than GTD; instead, I find value in using both methodologies because they complement each other perfectly for me. While GTD excels at capturing and organizing all aspects of life and work, the 12 Week Year enhances focus on execution, ensuring that what I’m doing moves the needle.

The 12 Week Year, developed by Brian Moran and Michael Lennington, originated in the world of sports, where athletes often use 12-week training plans to achieve peak performance. The idea is to compress annual goals into a shorter, more urgent time frame, which creates a heightened focus on execution.

One of the key elements of 12WY is its strong emphasis on vision. It guides you through articulating both a life vision and a professional vision in a very structured way. Once those are clear, the system asks you to choose a maximum of 3 professional objectives and 2 personal development goals for each 12-week cycle. Under each of these goals, you develop what’s called a “Game Plan,” which consists of carefully defined tactics.

These 12WY tactics correspond to GTD’s next actions in a way, but there’s a distinct difference in approach. In 12WY, less is more. You’re encouraged to identify the most impactful tactics that offer the maximum return on investment. For example, in my case, I’ve limited myself to a maximum of 14 tactics per week in total (not per goal). This constraint forces me to focus only on the most effective actions rather than getting caught up in busy work.

Another crucial dimension that 12WY brings is the urgency to measure progress. For each of the 3 professional and 2 personal goals, you track one leading and one lagging indicator each week. This consistent tracking helps maintain momentum and ensures that I’m making measurable progress toward my goals. If you’re new to 12WY, I would recommend starting with just 1 professional goal and 1 personal development goal to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

In my experience, combining the structure of GTD with the execution focus of 12WY has been highly effective. GTD keeps me organized, while 12WY drives me to act on the most important things that align with my long-term vision. I’ve built a tool based on the 12WY framework to help streamline the process.

Again, the best system is the one that works for you, and for me, the combination of GTD and 12WY strikes the right balance between organization and action.
@Y_Lherieau

Thank you for your post

Meanwhile, the "12WY" might be also be contracted and expanded into smaller and larger "time dimension(s)" for more 'field of life' synchronization ?

Thank you very much

@Y_Lherieau

Thank you for your post

Meanwhile, the "12WY" might be also be contracted and expanded into smaller and larger "time dimension(s)" for more 'field of life' synchronization ?

Thank you very much
I’m curious to learn more about how you envision synchronization across various fields of life. Are you suggesting applying shorter cycles for certain personal or professional desired outcomes, while potentially extending the 12-week structure for more long-term objectives?

In my experience, the 12-week time frame creates a strong sense of urgency and focus. The 12 Week Year, developed by Brian Moran and Michael Lennington, is based on the idea that a year is 12 weeks, not 12 months, not a quarter of a year. This shorter horizon forces you to think strategically about what’s truly important and to execute on those priorities with intensity. If a goal can’t be accomplished within 12 weeks, it’s often a sign that the 12WY goal needs to be broken down into a more granular desired outcome. For me 12WY goals are my top priority GTD projects, but instead of giving them a life span of a year, they get 12 weeks.

And if a 12WY goal fails to meet its desired outcome during a cycle, it can be re-injected into the next 12-week cycle game plan. This process ensures constant review and progress while avoiding the long delays associated with traditional annual thinking.