PMO Coordinator and PM - Dashboard for Multiple Proj

KachriT

Registered
I've been flailing around trying to find a good app or system to track 20+ smaller projects over time with a cohesive list of Next Actions that has the project+proj progress+status fields as part of the task.

I need to monitor and facilitate across a wide body of ongoing work so I can see each morning what's hot, and quickly know where to put any spare time if it comes along. My job is partly coordinating work across a PM Office, but I also have some not-small projects where I'm the PM. I need to balance my time between coordinating and doing.

Currently using Excel list with sorting columns and doing a daily review of the whole thing several times a day. It's semi functional for tracking but it's not pretty and is slow + time consuming. I feel like this isn't a very complex or extraordinary situation so someone must have a solution out there (said hopefully!)

Do I understand ? Are you searching a good software ? There are plenty software for GTD. You may have a look at this forum see "tools and software" it depends if you work on PC or Mac, or only on the internet or both... It depends on the kind of software you are looking for...
Excel, word can work, paper too...
The tool doesn't matter for GTD and on another hand it matters... I am quiet sure that's what David ALLEN said once, if I remember well...

thank for the reply - I have a pretty good GTD system in place for my personal work. What I'm looking for are options specific to PMO or PM work with a good dashboard feature to support GTD in those settings where they aren't my projects, but I need to monitor to ensure someone else is on track. Does this even exist? With 20+ projects going on, I would like to have one place to check for the next step on each project that also has fields to tell me which project it's for, the overall project status and the deadline. I don't need Project, per se, but I need the top level details for each of the 20+ projects summarized in one place.

I've been using Excel with columns and manually moving everything. Maybe I just need an excel guru to put in the right formulas to pull the data from multiple tabs (one for each project?) Again, I don't need to DO the work, just monitor that it's being done, so the dashboard gives me the info I need to know who to communicate with each day to make sure everyone is on track. It also shows me where I can jump in if I have a spare hour - I'm also a PM with a broad skillset as in individual contributor, so I jump in as needed for crisis coverage or emergencies.

Hope this makes sense. I was hoping that someone else had a similar position or knew of a better system for managing this type of work.

I've been flailing around trying to find a good app or system to track 20+ smaller projects over time with a cohesive list of Next Actions that has the project+proj progress+status fields as part of the task.

I need to monitor and facilitate across a wide body of ongoing work so I can see each morning what's hot, and quickly know where to put any spare time if it comes along. My job is partly coordinating work across a PM Office, but I also have some not-small projects where I'm the PM. I need to balance my time between coordinating and doing.

Currently using Excel list with sorting columns and doing a daily review of the whole thing several times a day. It's semi functional for tracking but it's not pretty and is slow + time consuming. I feel like this isn't a very complex or extraordinary situation so someone must have a solution out there (said hopefully!)
Excel is actually a solid starting point for project tracking, especially given its flexibility. I’ve built similar dashboards in the past, and I understand how it can be powerful for managing data across multiple projects and be shared with others.

It sounds like you’re looking for something that not only gives you a cohesive view of Next Actions but also tracks project progression, life cycle expectations, and any potential blockers? If that’s the case, and if you’ve already curated and standardized your raw data across multiple tabs in your workbook, I’d highly recommend installing the PowerPivot add-in for Excel.

PowerPivot expands on the standard Pivot Table functionality, allowing you to pull in data from multiple sources or worksheets and build relationships between them. This makes it much easier to create visualizations, track performance over time, and flag upcoming showstoppers or bottlenecks. It’s particularly useful if you want to create reports or dashboards with live data that can update as you enter new information.

Alternatively, if you’re looking for something a bit more dynamic, you might consider transitioning to a tool like Microsoft Power BI. It integrates seamlessly with Excel and would allow you to generate real-time dashboards with visuals that are interactive, making it easier to drill down into individual projects and track KPIs at a glance.

As a senior expert in business transformation, I’d be happy to have an offline conversation with you to better understand your specific needs and explore how I can offer my services to support you in this process, if that works for you?