1-2 year goals structure

leadgy

Registered
When planning for 1-2 year goals(the 30.000ft level), do you plan down to 10.000ft projects and next actions inside the "1-2 year goals" folder?

An example: "buy a new house" could be a "1-2 year goal"

1) Do you plan down to projects and next actions inside this project so when you open it(i.e. in a mindmap) you'll see all runway(10.000ft) projects that contribute to it like "find buyer for old house", "find area in which to buy the new house", etc.?

* 1-2 year goals
** buy a new house
*** find buyer for old house(10.000ft project)
**** buy newspaper with house buyers (next action for the 10.000ft project)
*** find area in which to buy the new house

OR

2) do you have 10.000ft projects under the "10.000ft: Projects" folder which include also projects that contribute to "buy a new house" goal? how would the "buy a new house" goal look like(what would you put inside it?) given that all it's sub-projects are in the "10.000ft" projects list? during the review, how would you still know that the "find buyer for old house" contributes to the "buy a new house" goal?

The second strategy in my opinion would allow for some "10.000ft" projects that contribute to the "buy a new house" goal to become Someday/Maybe, while the first strategy has the advantage of knowing that a "10.000ft" project is important and contributes to a "30.000ft" project - which would help the review process and prioritizing the runway tasks.

Which strategy do you use/or think is the correct one?

Thanks

Cpu_Modern

Registered
leadgy;86053 said:
during the review, how would you still know that the "find buyer for old house" contributes to the "buy a new house" goal?

By thinking on my feet. I mean, if you read "find buyer for old house" and do not make the connection in your head instantly, then you do not review your lists often enough. To say the least.

In the case of an more subtle example, the projects support material should contain a place where you noted your thoughts about the purpose and the successful outcome of the project. In there it should be stated, why you are doing a given project.

leadgy

Registered
Cpu_Modern;86123 said:
By thinking on my feet. I mean, if you read "find buyer for old house" and do not make the connection in your head instantly, then you do not review your lists often enough. To say the least.

In the case of an more subtle example, the projects support material should contain a place where you noted your thoughts about the purpose and the successful outcome of the project. In there it should be stated, why you are doing a given project.

It makes a lot of sense! It's great to have someone to share a single idea that takes you on the correct path.

Thank you! I appreciate your reply.

Chesnokov

Registered
My GOALS list contains only single entries for each Area of Focus. In your terms:

Home - Buy a new house

If it requires a project plan to be stored somewhere then I would create a project:

A new house bought

This project would contain the project plan and any thoughts related to it in the Notes section (I use Pocket Informant on my IPHone). Then I would add a next action out of the project plan to my action list:

@Errands - Buy a local paper to check for available houses

The link between the goal and project level is checked during GOALs list review (usually once a month or so). And the link between project and NA is checked weekly during Weekly review process.