1/3 cut manilla folders (heavy duty)

M

Madscot

Can only seem to find the flimsy ones at Staples etc. - anyone have a resource.

thanks
Kevin

randystokes

Registered
Frankly, I use the least expensive ones I can find -- a big box from Costco. I keep a ton of blank, brand new manila folders on hand, slap a label on a new folder when I need to set up a new file, and I'm good to go. I seldom re-use a folder (although I'm very good about recycling them . . .)

Scott_L_Lewis

Registered
Flimsy Folders

I don't think Staples has a high quality file folder in the Staples brand, but they should have premium folders in name brands like Globe-Weis. The Staples I go to does.

P

pbs

Do most of you use the 1/3 cut? I know they're the easiest to find, but I always get my "cut" out of order (i.e. can't keep them lined up in order in the file cabinet). Can anyone offer a solution to this problem.

Scott_L_Lewis

Registered
Out of Sequence

pbs wrote:
I always get my "cut" out of order (i.e. can't keep them lined up in order in the file cabinet). Can anyone offer a solution to this problem.

Here are a couple of ideas to think about.

I believe it was Frank Buck who in another discussion advocated using folders (in project files at least) that have a tab that runs the entire length of the folder. This enabled him to name his projects by the outcomes they were trying to realize. The big tabs gave him the room to write the long project names on his project folders. Another benefit to that approach would be that the tabs would never get out of order. You could do this for informational files as well. The downside is that - unless the files are all pretty thick - you probably wouldn't be able to easily see many of the tabs.

Another option, strictly for anal retentive types and/or database administrators, is to label your file folders with numbers or alphanumeric codes. Then use indexes to look up things in the file. This approach is described in the book File Don't Pile, and probably other places as well. The indexes can be paper based, but electronic spreadsheets are really the only way to go.

The advantages to the approach are:
- Folders start in order and they stay in order.
- Folders can easily be reused. Throw out the old contents, clear the old index entries, put in the new contents, add the new index entries, done.
- Folder contents can be indexed and cross indexed flexibly. For example, your folder of Visa card statements can be looked up under "Visa," "Credit Card," "Bill," the name of the financial institution, or anything else you want to use.
- Folders can hold a number of distinctly different things. Multiple index entries can all point to the same folder. This can limit the number of folders with one and only one piece of paper in them.

The disadvantages to the approach are:
- Maintenance overhead of the indexes. You have to update and periodically reprint them. If you procrastinate filing the "normal" way, you'll probably never do this.
- If you lose the indexes, you're hosed.

Considering that you are really bothered by the fact that your tabs don't line up, I'd say you just might be the kind of fanatical neatnik that would go for the second approach. :wink:

P.S. Back up your index files!!!

C

cris

pbs said:
Do most of you use the 1/3 cut? I know they're the easiest to find, but I always get my "cut" out of order (i.e. can't keep them lined up in order in the file cabinet). Can anyone offer a solution to this problem.
My understanding is that third cut folders aren't supposed to line up. You start with them lined up, say left, center, right, left, center, right, and then if you need to insert a new folder between two others, you just choose the one that has the different tab position from the other two. Then you never have two adjacent folders with the same tab position, which means there's less chance that one folder tab will obscure the one behind it.

Cris

A

Anonymous

Straight Line Filing with all center tabs

I use to try to follow the alignment order of left, center, right, rinse & repeat, etc. But whenever I added a new folder, it would screw up my alignment order.

Now I try to use Straight Line Filing (SLF) and just buy all center tab folders. More info on SLF at http://www.smead.com/Director.asp?NodeID=657

Even folders with just one page in them isn't that difficult to find. I don't do the color coding, just use a plain b&w label printer with center tab file folders. I just got rid of my hanging folders and have more room in my cabinets. I use a combination of file pockets and bookends to keep the file folders upright.

A

Anonymous

file folders - where I get'm...

Hey there,

I buy them from the Staples Catelog:
SMEAD Double-pli top, Manila File Folders, 1/3 cut. (SMD-10334)

We just pull a new one as needed, without thinking about where the tab sits (left/center/or right).

Hope this helps.

Jodi

A

Anonymous

I find the expandable pocket letter size manilla folders very useful and efficient (they are sealed on three sides)

The three sided sealed ones that are not expandable I find pretty useless as they can fit very few letter size documents in them. They are sufficient for smaller receipts and statements though.

I find straight line filing is best so I don't get caught up in the three tab alignment frustrations.