A new way to share your videos: A Slice of GTD Life

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
One of the best ways to learn GTD is to see it in action. We know many of you have been doing GTD for quite a while, and probably have some very cool and efficient systems and practices in place. We have been wanting to create an easy, collective place for other members to find examples of how people "do" GTD in their lives. Since the Forum does not embed videos, and searching for examples in one spot in the Forum can be tricky, we have created a new place in the Connect Media Library called a "A Slice of GTD Life."

To have your GTD-related video included in A Slice of GTD Life, please follow these simple steps:
- Record your video (please keep it under 10MB and under 10 minutes)
FLV format is best, but we can convert it from most any other format if needed.
- Email it to me at kelly.forrister@davidco.com or burn it on a disk or thumb drive and mail it to:
GTD Connect Team
David Allen Company
407F Bryant Circle
Ojai, CA 93023

Record a video showing us your favorite tools, a tour of your office, your favorite GTD tip, trick, you talking about the value you get from GTD or anything else useful to share with other GTD'ers.

Questions? Please write to us at connect@davidco.com.

Layla

Registered
WOW, thank you for sharing, Coach Kelly!! :)

It's really much more helpful to see it in a visual way!

Love your doggie - soo adorable!! Also, love your inbox and outbox - so beautiful!

I was impressed with how spaceous and clutter-free your office is!
And with the thin folder of Action support and Waiting For support.. Probably means you get A LOT done and don't need much NA support at a time?
This may sound like such a newbie question, do you have separate folders in Action support folder, clearly labelled as for what is what?
I take it 'active projects' are stored elsewhere, probably in the general filing system? (A bit of an 'Aha moment' for me, was mixing up 'active projects' and 'action support' a bit before..)

Thank you once again for sharing your office and starting this! - Hope more people will show how they get things done! :)

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Video of David's office

I just recorded a tour of DA's office for you all. Just posted:
https://secure.davidco.com/connect/multimedia/video.php?titleid=220&trackid=720

Enjoy!

Layla, you asked:
I was impressed with how spaceous and clutter-free your office is!
Just personal preference. Helps me think clearer.

And with the thin folder of Action support and Waiting For support.. Probably means you get A LOT done and don't need much NA support at a time?
Majority of my work (and pending) is stored electronically in project folders and the electronic versions of @Action Support and @Waiting For support.

This may sound like such a newbie question, do you have separate folders in Action support folder, clearly labeled as for what is what?
No. Action Support folder is just one folder of a mix of things. No subdividing. If I had more, I might consider that though. Newbie questions are great! Keep asking!
I take it 'active projects' are stored elsewhere, probably in the general filing system? (A bit of an 'Aha moment' for me, was mixing up 'active projects' and 'action support' a bit before..)
Yes, active projects are in the front of my Reference drawer for the ones that have folders. And again, majority of my project support is stored electronically.

I plan to do more videos like these for Connect of my space/setup/tools etc., David's and the other coaches. Stay tuned!

Layla

Registered
Great to see David's office!!

He inspired me to get a tray for my paper clips and such! :)
I love it how organized he is with the gizmos too!!

Thank you for your quick answers!

So I take it it's okay to sub-divide action support if you have more paper..

It will be great to see more videos!! :)

nick_ross

Registered
Repeating film

Hi Kelly

Just watched the Slice of GTD Life movies (David's and Wayne's) from a download (through iTunes). For some reason, the video plays twice within the same file - firstly with sound, and secondly without sound. Is it just me or has anyone else seen this? Just wanted to let you know.

On the content side - this is excellent - always nice to see how you guys do things in the real world, and now I've seen the fabled labeller of David's, I have gadget envy...

Looking forward to seeing more of these.

cheers

Nick

TesTeq

Registered
Yes. I confirm the problem.

nick_ross;72369 said:
Just watched the Slice of GTD Life movies (David's and Wayne's) from a download (through iTunes). For some reason, the video plays twice within the same file - firstly with sound, and secondly without sound. Is it just me or has anyone else seen this?

Yes. I confirm the problem.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
We're narrowing it down

We've narrowed down the problem to a bug in the latest version of iTunes. Earlier versions of iTunes do not do this odd duplication and silent track. For example, I am running iTunes 8 and all podcasts appear and play correctly for me.

It may take us a few days to fix the problem, and longer if we have to encode all of the podcast/mv4 videos again, but just wanted to let you know we're on it.

Thanks!
Kelly

TesTeq

Registered
Thank you!

kelstarrising;72526 said:
It may take us a few days to fix the problem, and longer if we have to encode all of the podcast/mv4 videos again, but just wanted to let you know we're on it.

Thank you for your efforts! This the reason why I think that value of the GTD Connect is greater than just the value of the content. It's the DavidCo staff attitude.

nick_ross

Registered
And Thank You from me

Cheers Kelly - as much as I enjoy Connect videos, it's a little more useful to hear what's being said ;)

Keep up the excellent work and valuable content.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Update re: video podcasts & iTunes 9 users

Turns out this double time & silence problem is a known issue with the encoding software we use and iTunes 9 (not unique to DAC.) Given it's primarily an issue with iTunes 9 only, our guess is that it will be corrected quickly, but we really have no idea. So in the meantime, our team re-encoded all 11 videos showing an error with different encoding software and sent them out through the podcast again. To make sure you've got the latest, please follow these instructions:

Attached files

mcogilvie

Registered
kelstarrising;72840 said:
So in the meantime, our team re-encoded all 11 videos showing an error with different encoding software and sent them out through the podcast again. To make sure you've got the latest, please follow these instructions:

Kelly,
could you please post a list of the the 11 videos?
Thanks!

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
This only affected videos through iTunes 9, not audio. If you are on an earlier version of iTunes, you should be fine.

We believe everything including and (chronologically) before "Getting email to zero" is fine (27 videos) is fine, and everything including and after "Making It All Work - August 2009" (11 videos) was affected. Those are the ones we re-encoded and sent out again through the podcast.

Attached files