A Question About File Cabinets

lolajl

Registered
I've been reviewing DA's articles, and in one of these where he explains his filing system, he recommends getting a filing cabinet that has metal sliding supports. While purging my files and dismantling my rather-disorganized filing system that is dependent on my ancient file cabinet with metal hanging supports, I realized that the A-Z system makes more sense for me because I tend to think of "sheep farms who sell fleeces in Loudoun County" rather than "Look in 'Spinning' folder, then find the folder that has info on these sheep farms."

I've checked Staples and Office Depot, and it seems that they all only sell filing cabinets with hanging file support. I'm keeping an eye on Craiglist for used filing cabinet, and actually identified one ad that has what I need, but it's way too far away for me to make it worth spending 1 hour 45 minutes of my time and 1/2 of my car gas tank.

Does anyone have suggestions on what model to look for? Or am I being a bit too obsessed?

Oogiem

Registered
lolajl;67228 said:
I realized that the A-Z system makes more sense for me because I tend to think of "sheep farms who sell fleeces in Loudoun County" rather than "Look in 'Spinning' folder, then find the folder that has info on these sheep farms."

It may be GTD heresy, I kept my hanging folders, but did label everything A to Z and just put stuff back in that way. I even have multiple folders in one wide hanging folder but it works for me.

I put sheep farms that I buy fleece from under Wool, but that is because that's how I think to look for them. Spinning project support materials is filed in my Spinning Projects folder. This is for things where I've already defined the fiber I want to use and the details of the resulting yarn even if I don't have the fiber yet. Projects with more data get their own folders. So I have Sewing - Moy Gown even though where I am with that is finding fleeces so I can spin the yarn to weave the fabric for that project.

Just file all your folders alphabetical and label the files however you first look for something. As you use the files when you go to look for something you know is there and can't find it, when you do find it and discover you labeled it wrong, take off the old label and put the one you first looked under as the new label.

lolajl

Registered
Thanks! That definitely makes sense. I'm going to tweak this system and see if I can make it work with what I already have.

Pablo

Registered
lolajl;67228 said:
I've been reviewing DA's articles, and in one of these where he explains his filing system, he recommends getting a filing cabinet that has metal sliding supports. While purging my files and dismantling my rather-disorganized filing system that is dependent on my ancient file cabinet with metal hanging supports, I realized that the A-Z system makes more sense for me because I tend to think of "sheep farms who sell fleeces in Loudoun County" rather than "Look in 'Spinning' folder, then find the folder that has info on these sheep farms."

Does anyone have suggestions on what model to look for? Or am I being a bit too obsessed?

lolajl

I like Oogiem also kept my hanging folders. I have the wide hanging folders (approximately 4" wide) & I put my 3 tabbed manilla folders in A-Z sortation. I keep a box of blank tabbed folders that I label with a pencil, alot faster to label & reusable if I get rid of an item.

Pablo

lolajl

Registered
I'm happy to report that I was finally able to find a filing cabinet that has a built-in slider in all of the drawers. I went to an office furniture outlet store and was able to pick a 4-drawer HON filing cabinet for a very good price.

If you can't find what you want at Staples or Office Depot (they only seem to sell hanging folder cabinets), try an used furniture outlet store. Also try liquidation sales and state government/university excess supply auctions.