A Quote

A

Anonymous

Todays quote:

Successful men are influenced by the desire for pleasing results. Failures are influenced by the desire for pleasing methods..."

from The Common Denominator of Success, by Albert E.N. Gray

M

maxsmith

Wow - that's certainly heavy food for thought this Monday morning.

Along those lines, I have been using GTD for over a year now, but have only begun to be disciplined about defining an objective ("What does 'finished' look like?") for every project on my list. It has definitely helped me be more focused on outcomes and motivated to do next actions, and has also helped me decide, in some cases, not to do something at all.

I think it would be great to have a sort of "Quote of the Week" on this list to stimulate discussion, but I don't know how we could put that into practice smoothly - i.e., who decides which quote is posted this week.

Max

TPorter2

Registered
I like inspiring quotes, and would certainly read a quote of the week thread.

However, this quote seems somewhat sexist since it only refers to successful men. So, as a woman, it doesn't inspire me at all. If it had said successful people, I wouldn't have a problem with it. That's just my opinion...

M

maxsmith

Well, I have the idea that the speech this quote was taken from was given quite some time ago (1940's-50s?), when we weren't all so enlightened.

I try not to judge people of the distant past too harshly for not being centuries ahead of their time in every respect, and try to judge their ideas for their own merit and not get too hung up on language, unless the ideas themselves are malicious in some way.

For example, I would rather subscribe to the ideas of a Jefferson or Aristotle, though they commonly used the term "man" to refer to humankind, than to subscribe to the ideas of a Hitler-like or Mao-like person who used gender-neutral terms to express their evil.

Max

A

Anonymous

Even the biblical Jesus (who some consider a philosopher, and who some consider to have some great quotes), wasn't noticeably against slavery, which was prevalent at the time. The only comment he made was something about treating them right.

A

Anonymous

Re: A Quote

I may be stirring the pot here, but my few cents....

DM said:
Successful men are influenced by the desire for pleasing results.

RESULTS: Taking away something useful and good from an inspirational quote.

DM said:
Failures are influenced by the desire for pleasing methods..."

from The Common Denominator of Success, by Albert E.N. Gray

METHODS: Whether it says "Man" or "Woman"

My personal favorite quote is "Deal With It Or Change It" (As far as I know it's my own original). So in this instance... deal with the fact that it says "Man", or change it to something that works for you.

A good quote is a good quote. Period.
Kathy
--
http://www.ElectronicPerceptions.com

ext555

Registered
Verily said:
Even the biblical Jesus (who some consider a philosopher, and who some consider to have some great quotes), wasn't noticeably against slavery, which was prevalent at the time. The only comment he made was something about treating them right.

there's a reason he didn't speak against it , it was very different than the slavery that existed during civil war days.

this link explains it very well if you're interested

http://www.biblebell.org/mbag/mailbagap.html

paul

A

Anonymous

I think its probably safe to say that the same would be true for successful women...

A

Anonymous

Drakes Prayer

Couldnt find any quotes at the www.demon.... site, but found Drakes Prayer on the web:

When thou givest to thy servants
to endeavour any great matter
Grant us also to know that it is not the beginning
but the continuing of the same unto the end
until it be thoroughly finished.

That is a good one.

rossw

Registered
Sorry: worth drilling down on "Miscellaneous" and then "Quotations".

This shows Drake's prayer as:

"O Lord God, when Thou givest to Thy servants to endeavour any great matter, grant us also to know that it is not the beginning, but the continuing of the same unto the end, until it be thoroughly finished, which yieldeth the true glory."

I like glory!

Will

A

Anonymous

Not to be too theological, but I dont thinks its your (our) glory he's talking about....

My .02 worth of course