A simple way to organize favorite websites

Jamie Elis

Registered
For those who use various special programs, this will seem like the idiot's method but it is a breakthrough for me. By putting websites in address book, rather than favorites (using a name I will remember for "name" and putting the web address in the web page space), I can have a simple and searchable a to z list. There is plenty of space to make a small note as well.

whitesco

Registered
I recently starting using (free) del.icio.us which is a web-based bookmark/favorites repository that allows you to use multiple tags (instead of a folder scheme) making searching for your sites a snap. It also lets you add a note, and another big thing is that it is communal - you can share (or not, your choice) your bookmarks with other account holders and benefit from theirs. Last big win is that it is accessible from any machine, since it's web based.

R

ReBuild

Nice idea. Personally I find the Safari bookmark section more that adequate. To provide order I use subgroups (for me they are broad categories rather than a alpha list) and then post the sites URL to the appropriate sub group. Within the sub group, I drag the URL's into the order I need ... usually by use (the most used URL go on top). Of course this solution does not provide a search facility ... nevertheless it does force the issue of culling little used URL once in a while!

Going back to your address book idea ... I do use this to track subscriptions and memberships. It's a great place to store details (ie acct #'s, expiration dates etc) and makes checking up on those "renewal" flyers/letters a snap.

kewms

Registered
I use the All-in-One Sidebar extension for Firefox. Among other things, it will sort my history list by either "most visited" or "most recently visited." That covers almost all my frequently visited sites. For everything else, I use either Firefox's bookmarks (sort by groups, searchable) or Furl's archive service (similar to del.icio.us, but I like the interface better and the name is easier to type).

Or I just Google it. Google's page ranks are stable enough that the same search will usually bring up the same results. That's especially true for company and/or product names, which are the sort of pages I might need to visit several times in two weeks, and then never again.

Katherine

tavish

Registered
whitesco;45117 said:
I recently starting using (free) del.icio.us which is a web-based bookmark/favorites repository that allows you to use multiple tags (instead of a folder scheme) making searching for your sites a snap. It also lets you add a note, and another big thing is that it is communal - you can share (or not, your choice) your bookmarks with other account holders and benefit from theirs. Last big win is that it is accessible from any machine, since it's web based.

I use Blue Dot (http://bluedot.us), which allows the same functions from what I can tell and let's me select an image from the page to include (visuals can be helpful).

inkedmn

Registered
I'm also a big fan of del.icio.us - a very easy way to bookmark!

I actually came up with a pretty cool way to organize your online Read/Review items using del.icio.us and RSS - check it out if you're interested.

Cheers!

unstuffed

Registered
Not just because of Toshiro Mifune...

I've just started using Yojimbo, and I must say it's very groovy. Extremely simple interface with almost no learning curve, and it looks like I'll be able to do more and more funky things as I gain mastery of it.

It's a bit like delicious (sorry, I can never get the stops in the right places), but handles things other than web pages too. It can archive pages (save a copy of the content), create notes, and other stuff that I haven't looked into yet.

It's verr' verr' naice, and I recommend it heartily. And not just because it makes me think of Toshiro Mifune...;)