ACT! and GTD

A

Anonymous

As an outside salesperson I rely on ACT 6.0 to help me track, follow up and maintain my prospect / customer base. Is anyone using ACT & GTD together ? Any suggestions ?

Ambar

Registered
I'm not an ACT! user myself, but I think if you search for ACT here you'll find some threads that have discussed it. I think the general conclusion is that ACT! is great for keeping a customer database and the call logs used for project support, but you'll want to keep your list of projects & next actions elsewhere.

A

Anonymous

ACT and GTD

I use ACT for everything and incorporate some of the process of GTD. You can't process "by the book" on how David Allen uses it, but I have tweeked it to where it works for me. Also, there is a new version of ACT around the corner where you can make some customization in the task list which makes it more "GTD" freindly. To me, the power of GTD is in the informatiom process, gathering, organizing and making it all referencable. Bottom line, use ACT for everything with keeping in mind on how information is processed via GTD and you will be fine.

A

Anonymous

Act

I would agree, you can use Act for everything. For projects either use a group or you can use a contact as a project. You can also use the drop down boxes on fields to preface tasks with @Home, etc. at least until the new version is out.

A

Anonymous

ACT!

I am just setting up my computer system, and I would love to choose ACT! as the launching point. I am checking out GTD for Outlook, but I really don't like Microsoft products. I just read the posts here on ACT!, which were a few months ago. Has the new version of ACT! been released? Any tips or pointers would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

DoctorJane2000@yahoo.com[/url]

A

Anonymous

ACT & GTD

>>Has the new version of ACT! been released? Any tips or pointers would be appreciated. <<

Yes, new version is available. I bought & returned it. It was way too slow. I have 256 memory (min for the new version) & don't have any plans on upgrading in near future. I bought it because I do use ACT for GTD & liked the idea that it finally offered customized context field.

I'm sticking with version 6. I create projects in Groups and tasks are easily associated with projects as well as contacts. @Context is easily created in the drop down 'regarding' list when creating todo -- all I need to do is add the specifics.

I also sync to a Pocket PC and have all the info I need associated with the todo as long as the original task was associated with a contact.

--

OTOH, references to Life Balance peaked my interest and I've downloaded and will see if that's useful to me for goal setting. It doesn't sync to Pocket PC, so that's a drawback, but I'm open to procrastination today.

A

Anonymous

ok.. how do you do that exactly?

love the idea that I can use groups & contacts to do GTD... please fill me in....

one contact holds all my @ errands?
and @ phone on another?
hmmmmm

and groups? for projects?

I can't get my palm to do to-dos from palm and contacts/calendar from ACT! that would be ideal!

suzy_travels@yahoo.com

TesTeq

Registered
Re: ok.. how do you do that exactly?

Susan said:
I can't get my palm to do to-dos from palm and contacts/calendar from ACT! that would be ideal!

Probably you will never have the ideal implementation of GTD. It should be good enough. If "good enough" means "perfect" for you - it is a real problem.
TesTeq