Actioneer: Dead or Alive?

M

maximab

I came across the Actioneer software in an article about David in the July 04 The Atlantic magazine. (Apparently David had a hand in designing the software. It presents one interface and automatically puts entries into the Calendar, To Do and Memo functions.) Downloaded the 30-day demo version, liked it, wanted to buy it the license, but find that the sites for buying the license no longer lists it. Also, calls to the office are answered by a machine only.

Has Actioneer gone to the big hard drive archive in the sky?

If anybody knows of how to get the license for this software, please post an answer. Many thanks!

lilmagnus

Registered
Sadly, it would seem that Actioneer is, in fact, defunct. I would keep trying to register it though as it does what it was designed to do very well. Alot of folks that had used Actioneer and were tired of waiting for a new version with more features have moved to Slap.

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?f...C2E-7D02B3803FE8640B&PartnerREF=&prodID=44524

The other program that could help in this endeavor would be Diddlebug with it's Intellibooger entensions.

Good luck.

M

mbacas

Actually it's a little different.

Bert said:
"Slap" does the same thing...
It's from Hands High Software
www.handshigh.com

Slap is similar, but with it you can capture all your thoughts and then process them later on. With Actioneer you enter one item and it got processed right away.

For something closer to what Actioneer did you can check out smartInput at http://www.smart-palm.com

- Mark

D

dnimtz

The nicest thing about Actioneer was the keyword matching. Keywords would be recognized as you entered text, and could be configured to automatically create appts, todo, memo, etc. In addition, you could even have the generated item set to a particular category, priority etc. It was very useful for entering "Call Joe .." and have it automatically create a todo with a category of Call.

I haven't seen that capability in Slap, etc.

Eric Mack

GTD Connect
Activewords, & Other products for rapid capture

Dnimtz wrote:
The nicest thing about Actioneer was the keyword matching. Keywords would be recognized as you entered text, and could be configured to automatically create appts, todo, memo, etc. In addition, you could even have the generated item set to a particular category, priority etc. It was very useful for entering "Call Joe .." and have it automatically create a todo with a category of Call.

The Actioneer product was a great product. I've sent a message to Tom Hagan, president of Actioneer, to find out what the current status of their product is. I did some consulting for them in their early years, but have since lost touch with their current products. I could sure use it now, though. I really liked the ability to quickly capture an action item with details and have it parse. They really did a nice job with that.

There have been several suggestions for alternative products. I'm not too familiar with some of the Palm alternatives mentioned, but on the PC, you might want to take a look at ActiveWords. There's a full scripting capability, which should allow you to have single words trigger multiple actions. Buzz Bruggeman at ActiveWords has done a great job up updating his site with ActiveWords plugins for various programs. I'm presently exploring at this for my eProductivity Template work with clients, and it appears to be quite powerful.

I hope this helps.

Eric

A

Anonymous

I have used Activewords but prefer PowerPro. Could be the Swiss Army knife for Windows, with scripting ability. Bit of a learning curve but very helpful Yahoo groups. Its also freeware.

http://powerpro.webeddie.com/

Cheers,

Phil.

M

maximab

Alive!

Thanks for all the responses, but the best one was from Tom Hagan, the president of Actioneer, who responded to the messages I had left at the website phone number (617-864-1400). He was able to sell me a registration code over the phone (I am mailing him a check), and I'm tickled pink that the Actioneer in my Palm is up and running again.

I looked at the other programs suggested in the responses. Slap looks closest to Actioneer. I have to admit, though, that having been "trained" by Actioneer for the past 30 days, I couldn't quite get into Slap, even though it was in color. Actioneer is black and white.

I am using a Sony Clie SJ22, with Palm OS 4.1. I'm behind the bleeding edge, but there's something to be said for working with the tried and true.