Actioneer-like tools...?

grohrbach

Registered
Remember this add-in? It was awesome and took shortcuts to a new level. Unfortuantely it does not seem to work with the GTD-add in. Any suggestions or a work around? Or another add-in that is compatible? Thanks.

lilmagnus

Registered
Re: Actioneer-like tools...?

grohrbach said:
Remember this add-in? It was awesome and took shortcuts to a new level. Unfortuantely it does not seem to work with the GTD-add in. Any suggestions or a work around? Or another add-in that is compatible? Thanks.

Not sure if it works with the GtD addin (don't use it), but you could look at anagram. Available at http://getanagram.com/outlookusers/

Also check out http://www.slipstick.com for lots of Outlook related information. Really great resource.

Cheers,

Jeff West

Registered
Actioneer for Palm Desktop

I use both Actioneer for my Palm Vx and Actioneer for Palm Desktop. The desktop version (v3.1) used to be a free download from www.actioneer.com.

I use the desktop version everyday (several times an hour) to capture incoming ToDo's. The desktop version only works with Palm Desktop version 4.0.1 (or older). I have been holding off on getting a newer handheld because the newer stuff requires a newer version of Palm Desktop.

I've contacted Actioneer and they said they have no plans on upgrading their software to work with newer versions of Palm Desktop. They are expanding only for users that use Outlook or Lotus Notes.

A big question I have is that since David Allen was part of Actioneer and since he uses Palm Desktop, why would Actioneer stop supporting Palm Desktop?

I will be staying with Palm Vx, Palm Desktop v4.0.1, and Actioneer v3.1 until there is some Actioneer-like software available that works with the newer versions of Palm Desktop.

If anybody else is in a similar situation, please post and also contact Actioneer and ask them to support the newer versions of Palm Desktop.

A

Anonymous

actioneer doesn't do palm dtop anymore

I contacted actioneer a while ago. --they responded that they have no plans on supporting palm desktop in the future.

they seem focused on outlook and lotus notes.

Paul

C

Cikub

Re: Actioneer for Palm Desktop

Jeff West said:
A big question I have is that since David Allen was part of Actioneer and since he uses Palm Desktop, why would Actioneer stop supporting Palm Desktop?

I'm sure it's just a matter of market. The vast majority of American corporations have standardized on Outlook or Notes (mostly the former). Unless a Palm Desktop user is self-employed, it's likely he/she would be forced to juggle two calendars because of the company requirement to also be on Outlook where others can have access to his/her calendar.

C

whkratz

Registered
I would be interested to hear exactly what conflicts exist between Actioneer and the NetCentrics Addin. Sometimes workarounds can be found for these things. On the other hand, conflicts between addins are not uncommon.

With regards to the DA connection to Actioneer -- in terms of the tech industry, that was light-years ago. Many things change, especially strategies. In addition, DA & Co. use Notes, so there is still a tie-in.

Finally, one of the all-time great Outlook addins of the Actioneer genre is My Reality Bar (or MRB). I have used this thing for years. You can see it at http://www.mavininteractive.com/ProjectManagement.do?command=ProjectCenter&pid=5

One caveat -- most of the addins of this sort use a "backdoor" connection to Outlook. That is, they are not activating a "complete" session of Outlook. Consequently, when you open Outlook, other addins that require a "fully activated" session may not work properly. The solution is to always open a regular session of Outlook before activating any of the "backdoor" type of addins or connections.

grohrbach

Registered
Actioneer with GTD add-in

You are right about back-door access. If I start Outlook first, then Actioneer, it will work. I can quickly input new tasks. By using the Update Task Actions button those tasks will go to the correct context. So far so good. The challege is linking those context specific tasks to a project. If I try to assign projects to a task by opening it before I Update Task Actions then the link between category and action is broken. After assigning projects the Update Task Action will do nothing- the action category remains unassigned. If I Update Ttask Actions first then I must search my action lists for those actions that do not have a project assigned to them. It is a minor annoyence, but if there is a work around I would be very interrested in hearing it. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

If you are using Office 2003 you can get many of the same benefits of Actioneer for Outlook. In Office 2003 there is a new add-on application, One Note, that puts an icon in the system tray. Clicking on it opens a window called a Side Note, and you can enter any information you want and then turn that into an Outlook 2003 task with a click on a button.

Also, Outlook 2003 minimizes to an icon in the system tray as well, and you can instantly call it to screen, and using the speed keys enter Tasks, Contacts, etc. rapidly.

Scot

whkratz

Registered
From the OneNote FAQ --
OneNote 2003 works with earlier versions of Office, such as Office 97 and Office XP. However, certain features of OneNote that integrate with Office programs, such as the ability to create Outlook tasks directly from OneNote or to send notes directly from OneNote through e-mail, will not be available with versions of Office earlier than Office 2003 Editions.