ActiveWords Free Alternative

S

Shane Lindsay

magic words for outlook

I highly recommend this program, its free and potentially very powerful. The developer plans to include scripting in future which should lead it to rival the functionality of active words. As well as launching programs you can send commands to web pages, for example you can type google gtd and it will launch your web browser with a search for gtd.

My favourite use of this program is in combination with outlook.
I can open open any outlook folder, existing item note, calendar, mail, contact or task item (by typing the name of the item) or a new item. For example, I could type "mail john smith" and it will open a new mail item addressed to john smith, or "who brian may" to open my brian may contact.

I have included my magic words file which you can import to slickrun to get you started.

Other similar kinds of programs are:
approcket
launchy
quickstart
The last two are freeware, and all are good for launching for programs and files but lack the extensibility of slickrun.

Attached files image_5.zip (926 B) 

M

mocephus

I've been a user of AppRocket for a couple of months now and really love it.

I started using it at work because I was looking for something similar to Quicksilver on my Mac at home.

I may give slickrun a try, but hesitate since I've already payed for AppRocket

MsftMan

Registered
Shane Lindsay said:
I highly recommend this program, its free and potentially very powerful. The developer plans to include scripting in future which should lead it to rival the functionality of active words. As well as launching programs you can send commands to web pages, for example you can type google gtd and it will launch your web browser with a search for gtd.

My favourite use of this program is in combination with outlook.
I can open open any outlook folder, existing item note, calendar, mail, contact or task item (by typing the name of the item) or a new item. For example, I could type "mail john smith" and it will open a new mail item addressed to john smith, or "who brian may" to open my brian may contact.

I have included my magic words file which you can import to slickrun to get you started.
QUOTE]
Very cool Magic words Shane! Very cool indeed. You should think about sending these to Bayden to include in their MagicWord Packs.

Thank you so much for sharing this word pack, it's appreciated.
-Steve Banks