ADHD

Slendersoul

Registered
I am aware this has been discussed dozens of times, but I need advice/suggestions. I am an adult with ADHD. I am trying to organize my life using the GTD method and I am very overwhelmed. There is a lot to learn and I am struggling. I purchased the
audible book and the workbook, but my mind starts to wander after a few minutes of listening. If there are those of you out there who have ADHD (no meds) and are successfully using GTD can you please share with me anything you are using or have learned. I would really appreciate it. Ty.

I'm not diagnosed but am probably ADHD. Or something! Anyway my best advice would be to take one little step at a time. It can be a lot to take in! Start with capturing everything you can think of that you need / want to do. You can do it a bit at a time if that's better.

As an aside I find audiobooks IMPOSSIBLE to focus on but you will know what works best for you. The workbook is very helpful to dip into. Weirdly I would also recommend the Reddit r/GTD and search for ADHD, often Reddit is a sinkhole but there's some good advice on there.

You will probably need to try a few different approaches to see what works for you, but I would recommend just using paper and pen to start with. It's really easy to get distracted with an app.

I am aware this has been discussed dozens of times, but I need advice/suggestions. I am an adult with ADHD. I am trying to organize my life using the GTD method and I am very overwhelmed. There is a lot to learn and I am struggling. I purchased the
audible book and the workbook, but my mind starts to wander after a few minutes of listening. If there are those of you out there who have ADHD (no meds) and are successfully using GTD can you please share with me anything you are using or have learned. I would really appreciate it. Ty.
@Slendersoul ,

With all due respect . . . GTD is not a 'self-torturing' methodology

Wrap GTD around the ADHD gift vs. attempts to 'force' GTD on the ADHD gift?

Learn GTD to appropriately prescribe GTD to your life by adding [one GTD nugget at a time] to your current writing skills [one notebook to Capture OK . . . for one place to Review] . . . in a way, for encouragement, Capturing-&-Reviewing alone in one notebook 'is 40%' of GTD . . . take it as slow as you best see GTD fit ?

Ps. GTD for Teens is a great "reading starter and refresher" as well

Last edited:
Is the question about how to focus on the audiobook, or how to implement GTD?

If it's the first: When I'm trying to focus on something audible, it helps to have something to do physically. It doesn't really matter what--making paper clip chains, knitting, doodling, darning a sock, gardening, cooking.

And sometimes I need to listen to the thing several times.

So, for example, you could perhaps try listening to the audible book every night while you cook (if you habitually cook), until you've listened to it three or four times. And if you're me, you'll also have bouncy music playing at the same time. And possibly a not-too-interesting show on the TV. Yes, all at the same time.

In using GTD, there are some practices that just don't work for me.

For example, the two minute rule breaks my focus. Yes, it makes sense to, say, schedule a meeting in Outlook, rather than create a Next Action of, "Schedule Meeting," but--no. Absolutely does not work for me.

And I cannot support long lists. I think the purest form of GTD has all of the fully committed actions that you could do now, in your current lists. But, no. Absolutely does not work for me. The vast majority of my actions stay in Someday/Maybe, so that the lists from which I choose a current action are very short.

I suspect that there are other practices that I rejected so long ago that i don't even remember they exist.

I'm not diagnosed but am probably ADHD. Or something! Anyway my best advice would be to take one little step at a time. It can be a lot to take in! Start with capturing everything you can think of that you need / want to do. You can do it a bit at a time if that's better.

As an aside I find audiobooks IMPOSSIBLE to focus on but you will know what works best for you. The workbook is very helpful to dip into. Weirdly I would also recommend the Reddit r/GTD and search for ADHD, often Reddit is a sinkhole but there's some good advice on there.

You will probably need to try a few different approaches to see what works for you, but I would recommend just using paper and pen to start with. It's really easy to get distracted with an app.
Reddit with an ADHD search is worth a try. Thanks!

Is the question about how to focus on the audiobook, or how to implement GTD?

If it's the first: When I'm trying to focus on something audible, it helps to have something to do physically. It doesn't really matter what--making paper clip chains, knitting, doodling, darning a sock, gardening, cooking.

And sometimes I need to listen to the thing several times.

So, for example, you could perhaps try listening to the audible book every night while you cook (if you habitually cook), until you've listened to it three or four times. And if you're me, you'll also have bouncy music playing at the same time. And possibly a not-too-interesting show on the TV. Yes, all at the same time.

In using GTD, there are some practices that just don't work for me.

For example, the two minute rule breaks my focus. Yes, it makes sense to, say, schedule a meeting in Outlook, rather than create a Next Action of, "Schedule Meeting," but--no. Absolutely does not work for me.

And I cannot support long lists. I think the purest form of GTD has all of the fully committed actions that you could do now, in your current lists. But, no. Absolutely does not work for me. The vast majority of my actions stay in Someday/Maybe, so that the lists from which I choose a current action are very short.

I suspect that there are other practices that I rejected so long ago that i don't even remember they exist.
I was thinking the same thing. I need to listen to the audiobook a few times to really get a good grasp of it.

@Slendersoul ,

With all due respect . . . GTD is not a 'self-torturing' methodology

Wrap GTD around the ADHD gift vs. attempts to 'force' GTD on the ADHD gift?

Learn GTD to appropriately prescribe GTD to your life by adding [one GTD nugget at a time] to your current writing skills [one notebook to Capture OK . . . for one place to Review] . . . in a way, for encouragement, Capturing-&-Reviewing alone in one notebook 'is 40%' of GTD . . . take it as slow as you best see GTD fit ?

Ps. GTD for Teens is a great "reading starter and refresher" as well
Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate them.

There is a lot to learn and I am struggling. I purchased the
audible book and the workbook, but my mind starts to wander after a few minutes of listening.
Adult ADHD person here - my mind starts to wander also when studying David Allen's work. I use two tools to help focus: 1) I use the kindle ebook with narration to listen and read at the same time (it highlights the text that is being read). 2) I have a blank sheet of paper with a favorite pen to capture concepts.

This alters my engagement with the material. My aim is to capture concise concepts that I think will be useful based upon my experience.

One other technique is to carefully control my environment for reduced visual and audio distractions.

Hope this helps,
Clayton.

The best way out is through. - David Allen

The book Finally Focused by Dr. James Greenblatt offers suggestions for non-prescription nutritional supplements that the author recommends for treatment of ADHD.

ADHD'er here.

My advice is try not to master all of GTD all at once. This would be impossible for anyone, not just adhd'ers.

Focus on keeping it simple. GTD and allens thoughts in the book can go deep, and sometimes you assume you need to understand all the ideology .

I actually read the book over 15 years ago, and never fully implemented it, and came back to it just now. Interestingly some little bits stuck. For example, i always had in inbox, and tried to capture stuff best i could, and also figuring out the next action. My adhd brain sees the whole picture at once, and finds it difficult to get started, but more often than not, every project progresses one step at a time.

Try to keep it simple, and lean into it rather than trying to get it all mastered all at once. For example, start out just carrying a notebook and capturing things as they come to your mind......... process it later.

Not sure if its allowed to discuss here, but zen habits has a slightly different take on gtd, with the focus on building simple habits first.....

Good luck, and remember, just because you forgot to look at your lists/systems/planner for a few days, doesnt mean you just cant pick it up and begin again. Dont have to throw the whole thing out the window!

ADHD'er here.

My advice is try not to master all of GTD all at once. This would be impossible for anyone, not just adhd'ers.

Focus on keeping it simple. GTD and allens thoughts in the book can go deep, and sometimes you assume you need to understand all the ideology .

I actually read the book over 15 years ago, and never fully implemented it, and came back to it just now. Interestingly some little bits stuck. For example, i always had in inbox, and tried to capture stuff best i could, and also figuring out the next action. My adhd brain sees the whole picture at once, and finds it difficult to get started, but more often than not, every project progresses one step at a time.

Try to keep it simple, and lean into it rather than trying to get it all mastered all at once. For example, start out just carrying a notebook and capturing things as they come to your mind......... process it later.

Not sure if its allowed to discuss here, but zen habits has a slightly different take on gtd, with the focus on building simple habits first.....

Good luck, and remember, just because you forgot to look at your lists/systems/planner for a few days, doesnt mean you just cant pick it up and begin again. Dont have to throw the whole thing out the window!
@kingmonkeyno1

Liking to fully-functioning 'GTD building-blocks' . . . one trust-worthy GTD block at a time?

Adhd'er here, totally concur with your points. Reddit is a good source. Also, agree that pen and paper, even with its potential drawbacks has been the cornerstone of me sticking to it. Way too easy to start looking at optimum apps, or just any other digital distraction.

@Slendersoul

Harnessing Attention/Brain/Mind can be so challengingly difficult . . . however . . . once one seemingly arduously gets GTD to satisfactorily function, then 'everything' else seems so much easier/manageable ?

The only way out is an objectifiable brain ?

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. I need to listen to the audiobook a few times to really get a good grasp of it.
With all due respect. If you have ADHD, I bet "your good grasp" is to become an expert. If you do that you will never implement the system. Every one seems to make this more complicated than it is. Looking for the perfect tools, calendar etc. Start with you projects list. Just a list. Not a whole series of next actions. Look at item one. What is the very next action. If it is call or text someone. You've just found you need an @phone list. If it is research or email you've found your @computer list. I currently only have 8 next action context lists. I have the very next action on a context list. I would never have all the next actions on my project list. Just the next one. I only have project support for very large or complicated projects. Even then I only have a few. And those will be moved to reference when complete. Hope this helps. All The Best.

Give yourself some grace. GTD can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be. Maybe consider reading/listening to the resources a couple/few times before jumping in, hoping you have the ultimate silver bullet for your organizational woes. It's a process that takes some times many iterations. That's why many adherents read the book yearly, in order to make use of their new POV from further down the trail. To torture a sports metaphor a bit, put together a coupla base hits before expecting the grand slam.