Advice on Windows Software Solution for GTD

S

Steve Wynn

Hi Guys,

Having not really found an adequate Windows and Pocket PC solution to implementing GTD, I am now thinking about just implementing a Windows solution for the time being. I will just use the Pocket PC for an in-basket when I am on the move.

So now the next question that springs to my mind is what software to use? So far I have tried ACT, MyLife Organised, QuickToDo, Outlook, Above & Beyond and TreNotes.

As I do not particularly like Outlook, MyLife Organised is probably at the top of the list. Especially as there is a Pocket PC edition planned for the future. It seems to be the only software at the moment that is really GTD orientated.

Can anybody recommend any other software that is worth taking a look at before I spend any money ?

Or does anybody know of any planned GTD based software that looks promising? I can always stick with using ACT for the time being if it is a case of waiting for a short while.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Steve

J

JonathanAquino

steve - have you tried the gtd add-in for outlook? It really changes it from a below-par solution to a super solution.

Jon

Steve Wynn said:
Hi Guys,

So now the next question that springs to my mind is what software to use? So far I have tried ACT, MyLife Organised, QuickToDo, Outlook, Above & Beyond and TreNotes.

S

Steve Wynn

JonathanAquino said:
steve - have you tried the gtd add-in for outlook? It really changes it from a below-par solution to a super solution.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Yes I tried the Outlook add-in it was great solution, but I have to say I am very anti-outlook. I just can not get a feel for Outlook at all even though I have tried repeatedly. I just don't particularly like it as an email client, I think there are better email clients available, plus I think it certainly lacks in the Contact/Schedule department being an ACT user.

I could just use it for my Next Actions, but then I am not really utilising the full potential of the Outlook add-in to manage the email side. So to me it seems a bit of an all or nothing scenario.

For people that already use Outlook or like Outlook I think this is the best solution available.

Regards

Steve

tonester

Registered
I use Natara Bonsai (www.natara.com) and have been doing so happily for many years (since before I discovered GTD in fact).

Bonsai is essentially an outliner program tilted towards project management. You can set it up to replicate the project/next action functionality of MLO (via a mechanism called "Next Action filters"), although it doesn't handle repeating tasks the way MLO does. I don't find this a problem - I put repeating stuff in my calendar.

I do think that it is far more flexible than MLO. I have another bonsai outline where I keep notes like house measurements, which I wouldn't dream of doing in MLO.

Regards,
Tony

Mark Jantzen

Registered
Check out this demo

Steve Wynn said:
Hi Jon,
... but I have to say I am very anti-outlook. I just can not get a feel for Outlook at all even though I have tried repeatedly.

Checkout this Live Meeting demo on the GTD Add-In hosted by David. It might give you more information on the potential of Outlook + Add-In as a GTD trusted system. It did for me, installed the trial over the weekend and planning to purchase.

Mark

Demonstration link at this page:
http://www.davidco.com/store/catalog/Getting-Things-Done-Outlook-Add-In-by-Netcentrics-p-16156.php

Direct link to the demo:
http://www.placeware.com/cc/events/view?id=netcentrics0413-2&pw=63BZ83

philb2k

Registered
Steve,

I am using MLO and find it to be a great tool. I am also syncing it down to my palm (with outlook as the go between), where I use Bonsai to view my prioritized list. Bonsai is perfectly suited to do this due to its filtering and custom view capabilities. (I'm also not crazy about the MLO PPC implementation so decided to go with Palm). I've got to say that this method is working better for me than anything has in quite a while, and like many others, I've tried many of the current solutions available. The thing that I particularly like about MLO which resonates for me with David's "Total life todo list", is the fact that you can build an outline to manage your home and work tasks, and then slice and dice the outline in many ways depending on the type of data you need to see, but it's all there for the weekly review. I also like the fact that it supports creating recurring tasks that only show themselves when I want them to in the todo list. That really helps in avoiding things slipping through the cracks a la "tickler" if you will. The great responsiveness of the developer does not hurt either. I am pleasantly surprised how much I am getting out of it. Good luck.

Phil

webagogue

Registered
Be cautious of any software advice here... even mine.

Ask everyone who suggests some magic/cool/elegant solution just how long they've been using it. Not long? Forget it! Long time? Have they really been using it fully? If yes, give it a go.

What I am getting at is there are lots of nice "solutions" available that seem nice at first, but that fall apart after a few days/weeks/months.

R

remizen

Windows Software Solution for GTD

Try the Personal Productivity podcast on "The Podcast Network". They are GTD devotees and discuss the latest and greatest with the authors and developers including DA.