• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Agenda's Tag Help

ivanjay205

Registered
Hi everyone

I use Omnifocus on my system and although I used GTD for years I never adopted the agenda's tags until recently. I am now in love with them. However, one thing I am not quite sure is how do people ensure that they handle next actions associated with particular people in a timely fashion. For example, the owner of my company who I report to has a tag in OF under agendas. While we talk regularly and when we do I grab the tag there are times when I might be heavy on the travel schedule and I dont pull up this tag in my system because I am not seeing/talking to him. I dont necessarily tag it with email or calls because I dont want to take a call at once or I meet with him in the office as his office is directly next to mine.

What does everyone do as a best practice? Do you list call in these situations so it shows on your call list and is a regular reminder? Do you check your agendas daily (that sounds like a lot of overhead as I have a lot of reports also in there)? My agendas don't show in any of my perspectives in Omnifocus or I would be overwhelmed.
 
I think you have to best what works for you- there‘s no one best practice. I have one “context“ for my wife and another for everybody else, because I don’t use it much- email is much more common for communication with everybody else. Some people have found it useful to lump all forms of communication together: calls, email, carrier pigeon, et cetera. One thing for sure, you have to review all forms of communication regularly. In OF you could build a perspective that includes all the communication-type tags, which might allow you to see more easily that an agenda item is now an email.
 
I have specific tags just for people I frequently deal with (wife, kid 1, kid, uncle 1, aunt 2, etc.). Everyone else gets lumped into a `@People` tag. I do have a `@customer` tag for general requests or follow up. But if it's a customer or person I frequently deal with, I'll create a tag for them.

When I'm sending out emails, direct messaging, or calling, I'll just hit the customer tag or the people tag.

I generally label the task such as "Facebook Joe re: BBQ" if I know Joe usually contacts me through facebook or "WhatsApp Mary re: surprise birthday party" if I know Mary likes to use WhatsApp to communicate. I don't use tags to indicate the type of communication method because Mary would be just as comfortable with communicating via WhatsApp as well as a phone call.

If I meet Joe at the coffee shop by surprise, I'll go to my `@Joe` tag to show me a list of all the things I want to talk about when I see him. I don't want to wade through the calls tag, DM tag, or email tag just to find any agenda items for that person.
 
Top