• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Alpha filing system - different from regular filing?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JonathanAquino
  • Start date Start date
J

JonathanAquino

Guest
I'm confused. At first I thought the alpha filing system meant 26 folders: A-Z. But as I read more about it, I see that it means organizing the folders alphabetically. A folder could have a title like "Gardening".

But isn't this what regular filing is - alphabetical ordering of titled folders? What makes David's alpha filing system simpler/different?
 
Re: Alpha filing system - different from regular filing?

JonathanAquino said:
But isn't this what regular filing is - alphabetical ordering of titled folders? What makes David's alpha filing system simpler/different?
The A-Z system is simpler/different because everything is filed in one system, rather than multiple systems (e.g., a drawer/cabinet for projects, one for areas of focus, etc.). In the A-Z system, you might have several folders for Gardening, such as Gardening - bonsai, Gardening - roses, etc., all filed under G.

DA says that once in a while reference material on one topic or project might take up more than half a drawer. If so, give it it's own drawer. Otherwise, keep it in with all the other A-Z files. One system, only one place to look.

Carolyn
 
Ah - so the key is "one A-Z system", not just "A-Z system".

Your reply gave me the clarity I needed. Thanks.
 
Top