AmazingMarvin

someAlex

Registered
Hi.

I'm relatively new to GTD idea/methodology, and I have used NirvanaHQ as my "GTD tool" for the last year.
It's pretty simple and great, except for one thing: AFAIK, Nirvana does not support nested projects.
Maybe I'm missing some basic GTD points, i.e. "I'm doing my GTD wrong", and "true GTD" does not require nested projects indeed - I don't know.

What I do know for sure, though, is that I want to be able:
1. To input any of my ideas, either stupid/smart or short-term/longterm
2. To organize them into some hierarchical structure
3. To plan/schedule anything I want
4. And, as a result, to be able to check all of my plans for any time and any hierarchical level
(basically, that's just the definition of best organizer for me)

Googling around, I've found many people describing their "workflow" (how do they organize their work, including "how do they implement GTD for themselves"). Many of those people are using not a single tool, but a set of tools, for example: Nirvana for this, Evernote for that, Things3(?) for something else, ...
I'm not a big fan of this idea, and I'm searching for a tool that's capable of combining all of those features I've described above.

So, that's how I discovered AmazingMarvin recently. Currently I have my trial period, and didn't even put all of my tasks there yet - just checked it's features and experimented a bit.
My first impression - it looks pretty interesting. "Nirvana + nested projects" is already interesting to me, but when I started my trial period, I've found a couple of other interesting features (Google Calendar sync, for example).

What bothers me, though, is that it looks like AmazingMarvin has a lot less feedback than many other tools around. I guess it's because it's relatively new to the market and the price is bit higher - but I'm not sure. That's why I have this feeling "something can go wrong" :)

So, my questions:
1. Any AmazingMarvin users here? What's your experience with it? Are you satisfied?
2. Going back to the very beginning of my post: Nirvana users, how do you deal with projects hierarchies? Do you use some other tools to implement it, or ...?

P.S. I'm not a native English speaker, so sorry if some of my phrases look wrong or funny :p

FocusGuy

Registered
Hello @someAlex
I don't know Marvin.
2. Going back to the very beginning of my post: Nirvana users, how do you deal with projects hierarchies?
About this as I used Nirvana and loved it (but quit for reason of safe datas) I noticed that nested are alway complicated.
The best is the use areas to group your projects like Business finance ... It's easier to review than for me personnal and professionnal. IT helps me focussing on the MIT

The secont question behind all this is what about notes and references material
The best (for me) is to use an external tool such as evernote or/and google drive and link stuff to the tool.

About Nirvana
Choosing a tool is (almost) at the beginning OF GTD difficult. There are so many... It is a jungle.... What I advice my friends, when they start GTD, is beginning with paper and pen except if they want a digital tool then choose Nirvana and use is as long as possible.

Last edited:

OF user

Registered
Marvin tries to do too much and is way too complicated for GTD. It is, however, good if you want to develop your own system that is based on GTD but has a bunch of other bells and whistles.

someAlex

Registered
The best is the use areas to group your projects like Business finance ... It's easier to review than for me personnal and professionnal. IT helps me focussing on the MIT
Well... Hmm :)
I did actually use "areas", but only "work" and "personal" ones.
Never had an idea to use areas for grouping purposes. Thanks for the idea.

Marvin [...] is, however, good if you want to develop your own system that is based on GTD but has a bunch of other bells and whistles.
Looks like that's exactly what I need. Thanks.

Also, be careful of exploring online setups. 95% of those people are using gtd as a foundation for their system but not really doing it. I came across a guy this weekend who defined his next actions as tasks in any context due today. Not really GTD.

Marvin tries to do too much and is way too complicated for GTD.
I should probably clarify: when I mentioned "I'm relatively new to GTD idea/methodology", that did not mean "I only heard about it recently".
To be honest, I've fount GTD book more than a year ago, just was too lazy to finish it :) And, at this point, I'm not sure I really need it - I just loved the basic principles (keep your mind "clean", use external system to track anything that can bother you).
That's why, at least "currently", I don't really care is something "pure GTD" or not. As long as it follows some basic principles, and as long as it's helpful for me - I'll take it.

What I advice my friends, when they start GTD, is beginning with paper and pen except if they want a digital tool then choose Nirvana and use is as long as possible.
I do understand why is this a thing - I love paper+pen myself.
But I never really used them as an organizer, especially - if I'm trying to organize something "global" enough. And I'm afraid it won't work for me - I just feel the "limits" of paper before even starting. When I say "limits", I mean the amount of blocks/arrows I'll need to make some useful structure, then the amount of edits/additions I'll need to keep it actual, then I always need to carry this thing with me...
I feel some digital thing will be much more useful to me. I don't really care how fancy will it look - I just need a way to work with some basic data structures (simple entry, ordered and unordered lists with nesting options, labels/filters etc.), be able to check it in a way I would like to (filters etc.), and keep it synced between my devices. Oh, and - yes, also some way to sync it with my calendar.

Deeor

Registered
I really love Amazing Marvin. I think the beauty of it is that it’s very customisable….so you can activate as few or as many features as you want. I’ve been using it for >3 years and it just keeps getting better, even though it’s a v small development team.

Also, be careful of exploring online setups. 95% of those people are using gtd as a foundation for their system but not really doing it. I came across a guy this weekend who defined his next actions as tasks in any context due today. Not really GTD.

Very true,@OF user The vast majority of people out there claiming to use GTD do not understand the methodology or they understand it but have tweaked it so much that it is not GTD anymore. That's OK, whatever works for you, but it is not GTD

PiotrS

Registered
Logged only to say this. I'm not using AM, because the UI/UX of front page of the app is kinda annoying for me (the sidebar doesn't work like I would like), but I'm "observing" this project for a long time - if you feel good when you're using its UI, then I think you will not be disappointed with its features and other stuff. Developers, a couple in real life, are also super kind and helpful.

enyonam

Registered
I am experimenting with AM for my annual review this month as I want to replace my current GTD system. Interesting to read the feedback. I am hoping I can simplify my setup with fewer tools with AM.

Hi.

I'm relatively new to GTD idea/methodology, and I have used NirvanaHQ as my "GTD tool" for the last year.
It's pretty simple and great, except for one thing: AFAIK, Nirvana does not support nested projects.
Maybe I'm missing some basic GTD points, i.e. "I'm doing my GTD wrong", and "true GTD" does not require nested projects indeed - I don't know.

4. And, as a result, to be able to check all of my plans for any time and any hierarchical level

Googling around, I've found many people describing their "workflow" (how do they organize their work, including "how do they implement GTD for themselves"). Many of those people are using not a single tool, but a set of tools, for example: Nirvana for this, Evernote for that, Things3(?) for something else, ...
I'm not a big fan of this idea, and I'm searching for a tool that's capable of combining all of those features I've described above.

So, that's how I discovered AmazingMarvin recently. Currently I have my trial period, and didn't even put all of my tasks there yet - just checked it's features and experimented a bit.
My first impression - it looks pretty interesting. "Nirvana + nested projects" is already interesting to me, but when I started my trial period, I've found a couple of other interesting features (Google Calendar sync, for example).

What bothers me, though, is that it looks like AmazingMarvin has a lot less feedback than many other tools around. I guess it's because it's relatively new to the market and the price is bit higher - but I'm not sure. That's why I have this feeling "something can go wrong" :)

So, my questions:
1. Any AmazingMarvin users here? What's your experience with it? Are you satisfied?
2. Going back to the very beginning of my post: Nirvana users, how do you deal with projects hierarchies? Do you use some other tools to implement it, or ...?

P.S. I'm not a native English speaker, so sorry if some of my phrases look wrong or funny :p
I see your struggle.

As a Nirvana user, when I have a major project consisting of multiple subprojects, I use an area for that major project. By adding that area tag to all subprojects, they tag along every single action added to those subprojects. So when I want the big picture on any major project, I select the corresponding area and there it all is: the projects (active, scheduled and inactive) and all the actions in their various states (next, waiting, scheduled, someday). There are not a lot of tools that can compete with the simple clarity. To me it’s GTD bliss. Or should I say Nirvana (pun intended )!

I most certainly do not use areas for business, finance er cetera because they don’t define at all how you would naturally approach a particular (major) project. They are way too general.

For finding my reference material, I hyperlink like there is no tomorrow. Be it Evernote, Dropbox, Sharepoint or some website, I hyperlink to it from within a task or a project.

I have tried so many GTD platforms and yet I always returned to and eventually stuck with NirvanaHQ. It proves itself time and again, due to the sheer functionality.

someAlex

Registered
Well, I do agree, that I missed opportunity to use Nirvana "areas" to help me with grouping.

Anyway, I'm trying to use AmazingMarvin for ~10 days already, and I'm pretty satisfied with it so far. As I see, it has all Nirvana features, but also some additional feature set, for example:
  • the ability to create "events" instead of tasks, scheduled both to date and time, and sync that to my Google Calendar
  • the ability to track my habits
And I mentioned only those features which I found useful for myself so far. So, potentially, I'll use some more with time.

Some kind of personal conclusion:
I think, AmazingMarvin can be an "overkill" for pure GTD, because it has some additional features which are not related to GTD.
But, having my personal preferences in mind
and
at least "currently", I don't really care is something "pure GTD" or not. As long as it follows some basic principles, and as long as it's helpful for me - I'll take it.
- I am definitely going to use it for now.

Thanks everyone for your replies, opinions and advices. Peace ;)

I must say AmazingMarvin does look good and solid. Lots of features, a true and convincing attempt at offering an all-in-one solution. And 5 years ago, I might have boarded to see where it might lead to. But the broad variety of features makes for a (imho) steep learning curve. I don't have the stomach for getting to know the system to the point that it starts working for me.

So I'll stick to my very clear albeit limited NirvanaHQ. Cheers!

Julie Jones

Registered
I just want to briefly comment on your statement about multiple tools vs. one tool.

I understand the motivation for the one tool school of thought, but I don't think it will ever be a good solution. GTD involves several significantly different kinds of activity/storage etc. You might be able to find one tool that does a good job with your email and calendar. You might even try to use it as a task manager (Outlook comes to mind). But, there is a great divide between managing GTD lists, contexts, areas, etc. and creating a fully functional reference system which will probably include a filing cabinet, directories on your computer, and for me OneNote.

Similarly, trying to use one device for everything is problematic, at least from my perspective. My phone is great to check next actions, see what phone calls I can make when I have a few minutes and capture whatever comes to mind right now. However, I need the big screen of my computer to do any kind of comprehensive review. For me a big screen supports the big picture view of what I am trying to accomplish.

I try to use the best tool for each part of my system, choose tools that work well together and most importantly get good at using them so they become almost invisible. I can look at my next actions list in Nirvana on any of my devices. I can check my calendar on any of my devices. I can read my email on any of my devices. I can access most of my reference material and project support materials on any of my devices, using OneNote. Backing up a bit, I don't use the same email program on my phone and my computer, but I can see all my email from either one. My calendar is iCloud because it works best on my phone and that is the most important place for my calendar.

To be a little more concise and clarify:
Nirvana for all my GTD lists - it isn't perfect but it is the best I have found for GTD use without any complicated configuration
iCloud calendar
email - whatever app works best on that device - As I have gotten better with GTD I find that my email program has a very simple task of reading and responding. Anything more complicated and I put it in Nirvana
OneNote - this does all the heavy lifting. I have been slowly learning to use it as my filing system. I send reference email to onenote, I send receipts to onenote from email or web pages or take photos, or prints to onenote. Everything that I really need to keep and possibly find I try to put in OneNote. I am slowly phasing out paper copies of anything.

Oogiem

Registered
I try to use the best tool for each part of my system, choose tools that work well together and most importantly get good at using them so they become almost invisible.
This is the critical thing for me too. I do try to limit the tools to a few but I want best in breed for my apps.