An all-in-one GTD App?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss Tools & Software for GTD' started by Jimhardie74, Nov 22, 2018.

?

Do you use the GTD system enough that you would make use of an all-in-one GTD software/app?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jimhardie74

Jimhardie74 Registered

As every person who has been in the GTD community for more than 1 week has probably realised, in order to set up a 'high tech' productivity system requires that you link multiple softwares together. You have your reference material in one place, your emails in another, your lists in another, your calendar in another, your alarms/reminders in another, your capture tool in another.

Some softwares will combine a few of these things. But I am really struggling to find an app that combines all of them.

Thy only things that I have found are:

- Microsoft Outlook (which is not particularly intuitive, when it comes to using it as a streamlined system and doesn't have a corresponding app, requiring that you use 3rd party apps)
    - Lotus Notes (which is only available to corporate clients, not individual consumers).

I'm getting by just fine with my current system. But I'm waiting for the day that Todoist, Wunderlust, Anydo or Nirvana allow you to start receiving and sending emails from your inbox (perhaps using IMAP).

I would love to keep this thread open for any suggestions on apps that offer an all in-one-solution or any updates on new apps that come out.

And if any of you think that you would be interested in purchasing such an app - please just leave a quick thumbs up in the comments - who knows, maybe if we get enough people then some software developer will finally take on the challenge of the (no-doubt long awaited) complete GTD app.

2. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

Why do you limit your perfect GTD tool to this functionality? Wouldn't you like to have some word processing, spreadsheet and presentation creation? And mind-mapping? And some image processing to create pictures for your e-mails and presentations?
    My take on this is NO! I prefer the "one good tool for one job" approach.

Geeko and clango like this.
  3. aderoy

aderoy Registered

Broadcast Tech
    I tend to follow the UNIX way - each app does one thing well, not everything poorly. This way I can use what I humbly think is the best e-mail client, word processor or list/task manager for the way I think.
    Hmm that being said, EMACS may be all the above yet would not wish to use as primary word processor (bad humour/pun). ORG mode comes close of course. Would not wish to suggest EMACS Org-mode for everyone of course, does not do mindmaps, FreePlane works well enough in that function - which I can link from within EMACS to the mindmap files.

TesTeq likes this.
  4. clango

clango Registered

as David Allen say....You can do anything but not everything ....

5. Oogiem

Oogiem Registered

Not me! I can't imagine that any software that tries to do all of that wil be any good at any of it. Besides. I like compartmentalization. I like to do my e-mail on one machine, my shopping list and checking off done tasks on mobile devices, review on my main machine and so on.

clango likes this.
  6. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

I think there has been a shift away from all-in-one programs towards programs that transfer information in simple, robust ways. A good example is iOS share sheets. Unfortunately, some key apps tend to be in only rather than bidirectional. For example, there are a lot of reasons you might want to export a calendar entry in various formats. However, all-in-one programs historically have been even worse in sharing data.

TesTeq and clango like this.
  7. John Ismyname

John Ismyname Registered

Maybe I'm dating myself here ... I remember when having and using a ink-and=paper DayTimer was state-of-the-art in being organized! I adopted the best parts of other paper-based systems (PriorityManager, Franklin, Covey) into my own paper-based system. I scoffed at software based systems because of the lack of portability (pre internet and pre-small.cheap laptop days) and lack of being able to modify to suite my way of doing things.

While Ms-Outlook is my GTD platform, I use spreadsheets and ink-and-paper for higher altitude GTD as this is impossible to fit into a software system.

Finally, there is the issue of making GTD portable to the every day carry (EDC) level. My GTD platform was originally a 3-ring binder with a zipper case. Now, it's a laptop. While the laptop is smaller and lighter than the 3-ring binder, I want to have elements of GTD on my smartphone-Android, which may not work on an iPhone. Thus, I have my own way of taking GTD down to what I can carry in my pocket in a way that I can synch with my "mother ship" GTD platform.

There is no way that a singular software system can do this. The more one relies on GTD, the more one has to cobble together seperate software systems and self-integrate them.

8. RS356

RS356 Registered

For some of us it still is! I go back and forth between paper and digital. Digital is great for search and information storage, but for speed and flexibility, paper is a clear winner. I use and rely on both.

9. AFG

AFG Registered

I would love to have such an "all-GTD-in-one" app.

But I am not holding my breath.

But I would want it on all the platforms I use regularly - Windows PC, iPhone, Apple Watch.

But I would like to be able to store data in the cloud to share with coworkersvia a web interface.

But I would hesitate to become dependent on a proprietary data format. To become dependent on a company that is likely to fail, and whose monetization

The closest thing I know to such an "all-GTD-in-one" app is GNU EMACS org-mode. But emacs falls short wrt one thing I require - bitmap manipulation - as well as wrt platforms and sharing. After that, it is just a matter of elisp programming.

10. bcmyers2112

bcmyers2112 Registered

I take issue with the wording of the question. To me, asking whether one "use(s) GTD enough that you would make use of an all-in-one GTD software/app" implies that someone who says "no" is less dedicated to GTD than someone who says "yes." I rely on GTD 100% as my total life management system, I practice the system in its entirety as presented in the book and I do not wish for an "all-in-one" software solution.

This is based on my experience. Years ago I was an early beta tester for an all-in-one cloud-based GTD software solution called IQTELL. If their forum was still online you'd be able to find a lot of highly positive and enthusiastic comments from me, at least in the early days of my involvement. Over time, however, I realized I was more in love with the idea of IQTELL than the reality.

Ultimately I think IQTELL was overly complex to the point that I found it to be a burden rather than an enabler. It also did too many things not well enough. Clearly it also wasn't profitable enough, as the service was shut down in 2017.

I've found that diligently applying GTD practices serves as the glue that enables me to integrate information from multiple systems and sources (both digital and paper) in as stress-free a manner as possible. Having gone down the path of chasing magical software unicorns, I can tell you that faithful practice of GTD has proven to be the better way for me.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    TesTeq likes this.
  11. Geeko

Geeko GTD since 2017

I also prefer the unix-approach: “one tool that does one job very well”
    You would have to create an email client that is better than thunderbird/outlook/mutt/… with an image processing that is better than photoshop/gimp/… and a mindmapping tool that is better than MindManager/freeplane/… – I think you get the idea ;)
    The more interesting part is to link all these tools in a way that you can work them easily – and to sync these between all your devices. My tools of choice here are CardDAV and git. Someone else might like to use Dropbox or iCloud or something else.
    I like the idea of being able to tweak my system exactly to my needs. I think an all-in-one-app would be a much too rigid construct.

Cheers,
    Tristan

TesTeq likes this.