Andy Hickman discusses Allen and Aquinas

andyphickman

Registered
John - great fun working on bringing this project to fruition.

Hi all - I'm new to the forums, particularly to the Connect crowd. Excited to dialogue on the topic and get to know many of you. Happy to hear your thoughts and comments on the paper, interview, the Institute of Catholic Culture, all the above.

@TesTeq would you mind fleshing out your comment more? I want to ensure I understand what you're saying before I respond.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases

Hi all - I'm new to the forums, particularly to the Connect crowd. Excited to dialogue on the topic and get to know many of you. Happy to hear your thoughts and comments on the paper, interview, the Institute of Catholic Culture, all the above.

@TesTeq would you mind fleshing out your comment more? I want to ensure I understand what you're saying before I respond.
Hi Andy! I would love to hear more about your work and the Institute of Catholic Culture. I also would love to interact with you on all aspects of GTD. Feel free to send me a private message and/or email me here: david-drake@uiowa.edu

Looking forward to hearing from you!

TesTeq

Registered

"Who are you?" is not a simple question. It may mean that you want to know a name, a profession or... a life purpose.
"How are you?" is just a customary greeting or question how are you feeling right now. Rather not a very deep question.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
"Who are you?" is not a simple question. It may mean that you want to know a name, a profession or... a life purpose.
"How are you?" is just a customary greeting or question how are you feeling right now. Rather not a very deep question.
Indeed, "Who are you?" is a very deep question. It challenges both the person asking and the person being asked about whether they are ready for the answer.

Customarily, "How are you?" is often a shallow greeting and doesn't invite a deep answer. Again it depends on the person asking and answering. Either person can make the interaction more meaningful by saying, "Do you really want to know how I am?" or "Really, I have time and I'm interested in you; please tell me how you are."

andyphickman

Registered
Ah - yes, @TesTeq ! I agree with you 100% At first, I thought you were critiquing the linked talk, saying that it confusing "who are you" with "how are you", resulting in a narrow/limited view of human nature, but now I understand that you are commenting not on the talk primarily, but on "we" or "us."

Yes, very insightful comment. I also appreciate your addition too, @John Forrister .

To stir the pot a little more, I would also add that, paradoxically, while "how are you" seems unrelated or at least shallow in comparison to "who are you" according to @TesTeq and @John Forrister 's interpretation, viewed from another angle, it subtlely contains profound depth in answering "who are you."

There is an ancient/medieval maxim: Agere Sequitor Esse - that is, "Action follows being." This, I believe, though seemingly obvious at first, is incredibly profound. It is possible to have insight into "who we are," by contemplating "how we are." For example, the fact that humans are the only animals that have built and filled libraries ought to make us reflect more on the uniqueness of "who we are."

Padre C

Registered
I really LOVED this webinar! I have long wondered about some of the philosophical underpinnings of GTD, but only a few friends interested. None of my interested friends have a good understanding of Aquinas. I am also very interested in the talk
Who Are You? The Perennial Question of Mankind (Relevant to Horizon 5)
. I have always had trouble with horizon 5, and I have wondered what the ancients thought about it. @andyphickman Thank you for sharing your work!