Any GTD App that connections Next Actions to Horizons except FacileThings

ivanjay205

Registered
Hi everyone,

I have tried FacileThings and it is what introduced me to GTD. While I did love it, the interface, rigidity, and some other frustrations led me many years ago to leave it. However, I always loved how it connects Next Actions to various Areas of Focus and more importantly Goals and Visions. And it provides a weekly report on how aligned you were to your higher horizons. I felt that gave me a good wake up call when I was drifting into responding to what is important to others vs me.

Has anyone come across any other apps that do this functionality? I am currently in Omnifocus which does not do it.

I am a mac user with occasional PC use.

FocusGuy

Registered
Hi everyone,

I have tried FacileThings and it is what introduced me to GTD. While I did love it, the interface, rigidity, and some other frustrations led me many years ago to leave it. However, I always loved how it connects Next Actions to various Areas of Focus and more importantly Goals and Visions. And it provides a weekly report on how aligned you were to your higher horizons. I felt that gave me a good wake up call when I was drifting into responding to what is important to others vs me.

Has anyone come across any other apps that do this functionality? I am currently in Omnifocus which does not do it.

You can do this with of using tags and perspective. i did it when i began gtd about 16 years ago... Things does it to and it is easier. Anyway if you use pc you could try todoist but it take time to get the most of it.

anyway for me it is cumbersome to link areas to project to tasks. thinking and taking altitude is a different mode than acting. You could use mind map for H2 To H5 and omnifocus for H0 H1 and reference material. Nirvana does this very well too.

the trap with Gtd is taking to much time to try to set up a system. Gtd is made for action And have a bird eye to yours engagements.

we all tried to make things complicated it's easier simplicity is better and a good task manager such as things, omnifocus, nirvana, to do ist is made for action.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
In Asana, what we call contexts is set up (according to the GTD setup guide) as what is called "projects". If you create one of these for each of your horizons, om addition to your contexts, you can assign tasks to both horizons and contexts. Tags is also an option.

But I second what @FocusGuy says, be careful not to over-complicated your system!

Last edited:

ivanjay205

Registered
You can do this with of using tags and perspective. i did it when i began gtd about 16 years ago... Things does it to and it is easier. Anyway if you use pc you could try todoist but it take time to get the most of it.

anyway for me it is cumbersome to link areas to project to tasks. thinking and taking altitude is a different mode than acting. You could use mind map for H2 To H5 and omnifocus for H0 H1 and reference material. Nirvana does this very well too.

the trap with Gtd is taking to much time to try to set up a system. Gtd is made for action And have a bird eye to yours engagements.

we all tried to make things complicated it's easier simplicity is better and a good task manager such as things, omnifocus, nirvana, to do ist is made for action.
I would be interested in how you do it in Things as I do have a mac, ipad, and iphone. So if on the rare time I am on a PC I needed to use my phone to see next actions that would be doable.

I completely understand what you are saying about really spending too much time on the system, I am guilty of that. However, I am an owner of a company with 40 people and I got a TON of requests. My biggest struggle in GTD is I am a yes person as I want to deliver for everyone. And periodically if I sit down with myself and try to evaluate what links back to my plans for the year I will see that there is drift. I actually try to do it quarterly and reshuffle the deck based on my priorities.

But, if something connected the two and gave me real visibility into that it would be wonderful.

I have an extensive mind map for all of my areas of focus. I have a list, not yet mindmap but I think I do want to convert it to that format, for my higher horizons. But those lists do not speak directly to my next actions. So I have to in my mind map them together ot ensure there is alignment.

FocusGuy

Registered
I would be interested in how you do it in Things as I do have a mac, ipad, and iphone. So if on the rare time I am on a PC I needed to use my phone to see next actions that would be doable.

I completely understand what you are saying about really spending too much time on the system, I am guilty of that. However, I am an owner of a company with 40 people and I got a TON of requests. My biggest struggle in GTD is I am a yes person as I want to deliver for everyone. And periodically if I sit down with myself and try to evaluate what links back to my plans for the year I will see that there is drift. I actually try to do it quarterly and reshuffle the deck based on my priorities.

But, if something connected the two and gave me real visibility into that it would be wonderful.

I have an extensive mind map for all of my areas of focus. I have a list, not yet mindmap but I think I do want to convert it to that format, for my higher horizons. But those lists do not speak directly to my next actions. So I have to in my mind map them together ot ensure there is alignment.
It simple. In things you create a tag about an area ie Business and then you add the tag to the project. Be carefull each project task wont get the business tag. Things can then select project ou task grouped by projects.

On OF if you put a tag on a project task gets the tag. Then with Omnifocus only you build a perspective. Eg create a perspective call business, tag it with business then select by project (if you want to see your H1) or sort by tasks (if you want to see yours relative contexts). Then group by project. Simple no ?

But on my opinion forget all this. The basic idea of area is to take altitude. It will take a lot of time to link task>project>area, then to update, Then to review and it will overload the tags system. This can gets complicated if you have many areas involved.

So everything, tasks projects etc... can soon become a burden !
Then you wont see the bigs rocks and it will make your decisions overcomplicated and you may loose your bird eyes.

So on H2-H3-H4 mindmap is better with only but big strategies and big rocks. Projects and tasks will follow the system. Let your brain then associate stuff and make others linking mind maps

In the past I over complicated my system. The core principle of GTD is to separate stuff. Context flow, project focus, reference focus. If you over complicate your system you it will lead you to errors and mistake. then it will take too much time to maintain that you will be unable to take altitude what is core when you are a CEO

I understood years ago that GTD is not complicated. People very often over complicate it, as I did, and I confess it finished by disaster... until I re made my system taking and applyed GTD principle one by one with a simple system

People often focus about software. The software is un important. what is important is GTD. What is important is what do you attend from your system ? What H5, What H4; How you will make it H3 who will be involved (H2) what are your projects (H1) then what is you next action H0

You can take the problem from every side control and perspective are always core involved.

NB My opinion :
- OF is better when you are focus on task and project's tasks and need something very powerfull and great when you have tons of stuff and request.
- Things is much better when you need to organize projects and plan stuff (not very GTD but my way of making thing based on today's closed lists).
- Nirvana is better if you follow 100% GTD and begin GTD.

Last edited:

mrkwhlbrk

Registered
Toodledo has a Goals feature that allows you to connect tasks to upper levels. It has gone through multiple owners in the last several years, the most recent has made good progress but it will take time to determine if the app/business is on solid footing.

mksilk2

Registered
People often focus about software. The software is un important. what is important is GTD. What is important is what do you attend from your system ? What H5, What H4; How you will make it H3 who will be involved (H2) what are your projects (H1) then what is you next action
Well said. Totally agree. I have Projects and Tasks in Nirvana. And the projects are attached to Areas, but if you want simplicity then you don’t have to use the Areas. My other horizons are in TheBrain for me. The weekly review can be the place to check that your projects are aligned with your higher perspectives.

Last edited:

michaelp6of7

Registered

Hey IvanJay,

FacileThings is still way ahead of all the "GTD apps" despite the reported frustrations. The feature set is really amazing for a small company, (3) working on the solution since 2010.

I think we can all agree there is no perfect GTD app for everyone and that we come to terms with some shortcomings. Having said that, FacileThings 3 is an affordable and powerful solution that is continually being refined and improved. The other GTD apps are feature complete and there is little to no development or improvement outside of a community of users who are passionate about it.

I think FacileThings needs another try but be really clear on what you need for features when evaluating. FacileThings stands alone in this space.

Eric Wayte

Registered
I would love to try FacileThings but its lack of support for the Apple Watch is a bit of a dealbreaker for me.
Hey IvanJay,

FacileThings is still way ahead of all the "GTD apps" despite the reported frustrations. The feature set is really amazing for a small company, (3) working on the solution since 2010.

I think we can all agree there is no perfect GTD app for everyone and that we come to terms with some shortcomings. Having said that, FacileThings 3 is an affordable and powerful solution that is continually being refined and improved. The other GTD apps are feature complete and there is little to no development or improvement outside of a community of users who are passionate about it.

I think FacileThings needs another try but be really clear on what you need for features when evaluating. FacileThings stands alone in th

gtdstudente

Registered
Hi everyone,

ivanjay205,

Thank you for expressing your GTD interest(s) regarding Horizonal Goals and Vision . . . along with . . . Areas-of-Focus

With all due respect . . . whatever it is worth . . . perhaps more simply or less ambitiously . . . on this end, Areas-of-Focus are imbued with their horizonal optimal states-of-being, and vise-versa, in order to be automatically/simultaneously aligned with optimal horizons . . . while the sky's the limit . . . there is still a limiting sky capable of humbling?

For example, Areas-of-Focus: Health what is horizontally the best Health possible: Appropriate Blood-Pressure/Heart Rate, Bones/Joints, Eyes, Feet, Dental, Glucose, HDL/LDL, Memory, Muscles, Respiratory, Skin, Sleep, Weight, etc. As such, anything falling short would simply become a Project for one's Health Areas-of-Focus

As a GTD 'alignment' bonus . . . all Horizontals (Purpose, Principles, Vision/Outcomes) have been distilled for integral alignment with reality and to each appropriate Areas-of-Focus for easy Review(s), especially the Weekly for possible adjustment and adaptation accordingly with the GTD framework . . . facilitating all of the space and guard rails necessary. Hip, hip, horary for GTD !

Another example, say one has a service Enterprise . . . then the Horizon could 'simply' be: "to serve/share globally the service offering to as many people as possible in the healthiest and most unregrettable manner as possible" could be the horizon?

If yes . . . super . . . Next Action: an appropriate Project . . . what the Next Action for the appropriate Project?

Respectfully encouraging you to suitably GTD carry on as you GTD see fit.

Thank you for expressing your good GTD concern, most appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited: