Anyone designing a GTD app for the iPhone?

V

vks3

Would love to get an iPhone, but sticking with my Treo for now until someone figures out a way to make the iPhone GTD friendly. I know that the iPhone only allows 3rd party apps via the web.....anyone know if anything is being developed?

stargazer_rick

Registered
There are currently probably hundreds of web-based applications that can be used for your GTD system. The Safari browser that is in the iPhone is supposed to be essentially the same as the one that is available for the desktop. Theoretically, any web application that will run in Safari on the desktop should run in the iPhone as well. If you're a Windows user, you can download Safari for Windows at http://www.apple.com/safari/.

With this approach, you will want to keep in mind that you will only have acces to your data when you have Internet access.

Having said all that, all you really need for a GTD system in a handheld is a place for tasks (next actions), contacts, calendar, and notes or other lists. The iPhone should have apps for all these built in.

Todd V

Registered
re: GTD on iPhone

DEVELOPMENT OF IPHONE APPS - THINK "WIDGETS"
The best way to think about development on the iPhone is to think of "widgets" -- like the kind you find using Dashboard in OS X on the mac. Widgets are not full-blown applications but they have some "elbow room" for developing a little extra functionality. Apple is still trying to strike the right balance between allowing third-party influence without that influence undermining the kind of user-experience Apple prides itself on maintaining. My bet is that Apple will streamline third-party influence through widget-like programs on the iPhone. This will be the way Apple still maintains control over the "look and feel of the iPhone" while at the same time allowing third-party development.

HOW WILL GTD BE DONE ON AN IPHONE?
Web-based GTD programs will not be the way to go on portable devices like the iPhone. The one time an internet connection gets dropped, the "trusted and reliable system" is no longer trusted and reliable. Currently there are a lot of programs that provide syncing todos and calendar events via iCal. Since the iPhone already works with iCal, I suspect that will be the way many GTDers on the mac platform decide to go. Another way would be to sync one's lists via email.

mmurray

Registered
I guess one of you guys in the US will be first in the line to get an iPhone and tell us all about it soon :)

But while we wait there are some reports by Mossberg, Pogue and Levy linked from www.macnn.com which have a few crumbs of info. They used the calendar app, it works ok and it doesn't have a week view. No mention of `tasks'.

Michael

TesTeq

Registered
GTD for iPhone?

I'm afraid that the GTDers are not the target market for the iPhone. So trying to implement GTD using the iPhone may be the fashion-driven decision - not the rational one. One can try implement GTD using the iPod Shuffle (@context playlists of Next Action podcasts) but I think we should rather choose the right tool for the job - not the right job for the tool.

mmurray

Registered
Hi TesTeq

You are right but it does suprise me that it doesn't support even the basic ToDo part of iCal. It also implements the minimal sync approach of iSync where events on the iPhone don't have calendars and all get synced into some fixed calendar you choose on the mac. Little things like that would seem fixable without too much trouble.

I guess I'll stick to my shuffle :)

Michael

TesTeq

Registered
Apple is always ready to disappoint the user.

Apple is always ready to disappoint the user and tell him that the lack of the feature is the advantage (for example no FM radio in iPods).

Nozbe

Registered
We are working on an iPhone version of Nozbe.

It will be a slimmed-down version of our GTD web application.

We are hoping to release it next week.

- Michael

darlakbrown

Registered
tadalist from basecamp creators

tadalist was just released in an iPhone format. Visit them from safari on your web browser. Login ( or create an account) and easily create and edit lists. Works well but I still want my iCal tasks to sync. Hopefully that fix will come in the next os release (or sooner).

skatemore

Registered
iphone mania

i too am crazy about my new iphone, but the fatal flaw (i hope not for long) is to find the best way to get my GTD onto the system. would love to hear best practices. thanks, all...

Todd V

Registered
re: Best Practices

The Ready-Set-Do! GTD program for the mac allows for integration with the iPhone through email.

Use the "Email My Action Lists" script to send your four main action lists to your iPhone email: Projects, Actionables, Waiting Fors, and Reading. Each comes as a separate email with a subject line that is time-stamped so you always know which of your lists is the most up-to-date.

To send and collect things from your iPhone to your GTD system on your mac, just setup the RSD Mail Rule that comes with Ready-Set-Do!. The RSD Mail Rule automatically sends attachments and new ideas you have into your RSD desktop folders.

Email is the best and most reliable method for keeping things current on your iPhone. And it will probably be the best and most reliable method well into the future.

Todd V
Ready-Set-Do! Creator

Nozbe

Registered
iNozbe looks like a native iPhone app

We've finally announced iNozbe which is a Nozbe interface, but for the iPhone.

iNozbe feels like a native iPhone application - it's fast and works the same way the iPhone apps do - you can see it on the video we've posted on our Blog.

Let me know what you think.

darlakbrown

Registered
Iphoneigtd.com is good. Integrates with igtd. And syncs with via .mac to keep your lists updated online. But no checking off of items via the web interface as far ax I can tell. The lists are nice and the UI is very iPhone-esque.