Anyone else do TWO weekly reviews?

cojo

Registered
I find I do two weekly reviews: one at my office, and one at home. I do them on Fridays.

This is because my mail, files, and items I need for my home projects are...surprise! at home, and all my office files are at work. I do have a centralized calendar and contact list that merge the two, but other than that, work and home stay separate.

David doesn't really mention doing two weekly reviews, unless I missed it. How on earth would someone merge these into one review, unless they worked at home? Are there advantages to doing one instead of two?

I don't know that I want to merge them, as this seems to work well, but I'm wondering what others are doing.

dschaffner

Registered
cojo;61212 said:
How on earth would someone merge these into one review, unless they worked at home? Are there advantages to doing one instead of two?

I don't know that I want to merge them, as this seems to work well, but I'm wondering what others are doing.

Cojo, if its working for you, I wouldn't mess with it :)

I have an office, but generally do my weekly reviews from home, or a local coffee shop, but then my system is mostly electronic, and I have a laptop, so any files are are locally available.

The advantage I see to just doing one, is I just have one integrated system, so it's faster to do one integrated review, but as above, do what works for YOU.

- Don

Andre Kibbe

Registered
The cycle of weekly reviews is based on a standard, not a schedule. Think of taking showers. Most of the time, we take showers once a day, but if you've spend an afternoon at the gym, you'll need another. If you have any exceptionally heavy workload that one weekly review suffice to keep things under control, add another. I don't do second reviews during the week on a regular basis, but occasionally it's warranted.

I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago in another post, but before I started working from home, there was a time where I kept separate work/home systems, and that just didn't work for me. I eventually kept workstations in both locations, with in-baskets and file cabinets, but did a fully integrated weekly review strictly from work. When I did separate reviews from both locations, my system always felt out-of-sync. YMMV.

sidsavara

Registered
cojo;61212 said:
I find I do two weekly reviews: one at my office, and one at home. I do them on Fridays.

It's sounds to me like what you're actually doing is one "two-part" weekly review =)

I do one weekly review, but I do lots of collecting "things" everywhere. I write down tasks and enter them in my blackberry to sync with Outlook, and then I do one mega review at home

Perhaps I do my reviews differently than you: I don't need any of my items in front of me when I do the review, I just review based on the list itself. If there is some information I need, I basically mark that as a next action and take care of it after the review.

Part of my process too, however, is getting everything collected digitally - if I had lots of physical things I needed for reviews, I could see why in your situation you would do a "split" review of sorts, and merge onto a central calendar when complete.

Oogiem

Registered
cojo;61212 said:
I find I do two weekly reviews: one at my office, and one at home.

If it works don't mess with it! :)

I do weekly reviews on an as needed basis but at least once a week. Some weeks sheep happens and it's more like one a day as my battle plans have hit first contact with the enemy and I am in recovery mode. Other times I sail through a week cleanly and the weekly review is simple, easy thing to complete.

Do what works and don't worry about it.

TesTeq

Registered
Master Weekly Review.

Treat a Work Weekly Review as a checklist item in your Home Weekly Review. In this way your Home Weekly Review becomes the Master Weekly Review. During this review you should ask yourself a question "Did I do the Work Weekly Review?" In this way you can connect both worlds.

Brent

Registered
When I had one GTD system at home and another GTD system at work, then yes I did two weekly reviews: one at home and one at work.

I'd venture to say that you need as many Weekly Reviews as you have GTD systems.