Anyone read the 2015 edition? (of Getting Things Done)

Ship69

Registered
Hi

Have any of your read David Allen's new 2015 edition of his book?

"Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-free Productivity Paperback – 17 Mar 2015"
Amazon tell me my copy should arrive tomorrow...

Apologies if this is already being discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't find any thread.

J

Oogiem

Registered
I'm starting it. I had it pre-ordered as soon as I could and so far it does seem like a worthwhile update.

PeterW

Registered
I've pre-ordered it on iTunes but in my location (Australia) it's not released until March 25.

bcmyers2112

Registered
I pre-ordered the Kindle version but that only became available on 3/17. Like many others I haven't had the chance to delve into it yet and can't express a worthwhile opinion until I do.

Dave Edwards

Registered
I just finished reading the new edition. I've read lots of books where the author promises lots of new additional material in an updated version. I'm usually disappointed. But not this time. I credit David with taking a fresh look at old concepts. Frankly, the original book felt a bit dated given advances in technology. David's original methods were sound...but I found myself thinking about how I could adapt them to the way I use software, hardware and even the way information comes at me on a daily basis. Not only does the new book address much of that, I found that by sitting down and reading it from beginning to end, I've gotten even more motivated to look at my current practices and see if they can be streamlined. So, thank you David. I hope this spurs new updated videos and webinars on GTD Connect.

NeilH

Registered
I've started reading it and it's been a good refresher. So far the biggest changes are in terminology, but not the core process. I'm looking forward to getting to some of the new chapters that were mentioned above. I'm hoping for some updates or tips that have come across David's desk (and into his inbox) over the last 14 or so years!

Thais Godhino

Registered
I just finished last sunday. I've decided to read and restart my system as long as I was reading it. I think it's an amazing new book, much more easier for who's starting now and a refresher for the old guys. David is such more confident about the methodology.

Folke

Registered
I haven't read it - not yet, anyway, but I am a bit curious: Apart from perhaps a whole new set of more contemporary examples and explanations etc etc etc - perhaps new examples of contexts, perhaps folders other than manila, perhaps some newer phone models etc - is there anything fundamentally new to the methodology as such?

For example, is his take on the hard landscape and situational choices (context, energy etc) about the same? In other words, at the action level pre-plan as little as possible (in terms of date and priorities) and instead use your gut in the present situation? Or has he to some extent swung across toward, or somehow managed to reconcile with, the opposing position of time-based pre-planning?

Has he managed to somehow reconcile his strong aversion to certain types of prioritization with his overall emphasis of being astutely aware of what your priorities in life are? He used to be quite firmly against all manner of "hard encoding" of importance, urgency etc at the action level, leaving something of a vacuum at the day-to-day preparation level.

Folke

Registered
It's been another month. Has anyone else read it? Has anything new been added or has anything been further refined (or simplified or convoluted) in this version of the methodology?

Folke

Registered
So, do I interpret this total (deafening) silence correctly if I assume that there is nothing new to be learned from the new book? That the only difference is that it uses more contemporary examples of iPhone models and figures of speech?

If I would take your (unspoken) word for it, I would only have only one choice, which would be to NOT bother with the new book. Sad, but it is the only conclusion I can draw from this particular thread.

Oogiem

Registered
I've finished it but been very busy so no time to really delve into the discussion. No I don't think there are any fundamental changes to the system. No big changes to the uselessness in general of defining things by priorities or in hard appointments but a much better way to clarify when it is appropriate to block off time and when it isn't.

I found it a really good refresher and like Thais I am also rebooting my entire GTD system as part of reading the book.

I think it's a most worthwhile read but then I am biased as I thing the GTD system is the best for managing the complexities of dealing with life and work.

Folke

Registered
Oogiem said:
I've finished it but been very busy so no time to really delve into the discussion. No I don't think there are any fundamental changes to the system. No big changes to the uselessness in general of defining things by priorities or in hard appointments but a much better way to clarify when it is appropriate to block off time and when it isn't.

I found it a really good refresher and like Thais I am also rebooting my entire GTD system as part of reading the book.

I think it's a most worthwhile read but then I am biased as I thing the GTD system is the best for managing the complexities of dealing with life and work.

Thanks Oogie. I trust your judgment. I'll get the new version when it is time for a refresher. Happy to hear that he has not given in to the "schedulers" of this world. I am a bit curious about his new take on time blocking, though.

eldiente said:
Why not read and see for yourself?
I wonder if you could guess.